Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7455 7456 [7457] 7458 7459 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9510538 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #111840 on: October 16, 2017, 10:12:09 pm »

I have a rather iconic hat that i have worn for the better part of a decade straight. I'm thinking of finally getting a new one, an exact replica mind you, but a new one.
Why?
I really like the hat, like a lot. Its a hand knit wool cap so its kind of hard to get a replacement without having someone knit one for me.
I was thinking, out of sentiment, work a piece of the old cap into the new one?
Perhaps, I was thinking of asking someone I know that has offered to repair it in the past if I can pay them to make me a new one. It's really nice and people say it's a cool hat just randomly even random people and people that know me find it odd when I am not wearing it and it throws them off for a bit. I also perpetually wear a jacket with it as well even when its hot. needless to say my look dosen't change much although a have a variety of different colored unmarked shirts and identical blue jeans.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111841 on: October 16, 2017, 10:43:50 pm »

I have a rather iconic hat that i have worn for the better part of a decade straight. I'm thinking of finally getting a new one, an exact replica mind you, but a new one.
Why?
I really like the hat, like a lot. Its a hand knit wool cap so its kind of hard to get a replacement without having someone knit one for me.
I was thinking, out of sentiment, work a piece of the old cap into the new one?
Perhaps, I was thinking of asking someone I know that has offered to repair it in the past if I can pay them to make me a new one. It's really nice and people say it's a cool hat just randomly even random people and people that know me find it odd when I am not wearing it and it throws them off for a bit. I also perpetually wear a jacket with it as well even when its hot. needless to say my look dosen't change much although a have a variety of different colored unmarked shirts and identical blue jeans.
I think the particular hat is special. If it doesn't necessarily cost more, you should repair it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111842 on: October 16, 2017, 11:45:50 pm »

Agreed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #111843 on: October 17, 2017, 11:15:11 am »

You should get a knit fedora instead.
Love, scriver~

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111844 on: October 17, 2017, 09:58:44 pm »

You should get a knit fedora instead.
tempting seeing as I am effectively a sea archeologist.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #111845 on: October 18, 2017, 05:56:18 am »

Was reading an article in the Times Literary Supplement on a book by John P. Gluck. Apparently he had been an experimental scientist working on animals. He talks about how the field devised sanitised words to deal with the animals - they were not hungry, they had a "latency to consumption", not scared, they were "avoidant." He goes on to describe the army throwing animals from towers, strapping them to bombs and blowing them up, etc. and then the soldiers joking about having mutton barbecues afterwards. Then, he states that "the frame of mind needed to experiment on animals without twinges of conscience was actively inculcated by my peers and mentors." Apparently, his mentor when a student told him to capture a blacktail prairie dog for the purpose of "euthanising" and dissecting it. He captured one, his room mate named it Bernard, and on the day it was to be killed it "accidentally" escaped - whether through his efforts or the roommate's it doesn't specify. He later found out that prairie dogs were readily available for dissection from the lab.

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111846 on: October 18, 2017, 09:35:40 am »

Bedbugs, again.  This time we know the entry vector, and the chemicals set down last time are still active, so they shouldn't be able to get an infestation started, but this is incredibly trying, and makes me extremely uncomfortable.  I'm going to talk with my wife when she gets home and we are going to deal with this.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #111847 on: October 18, 2017, 11:18:14 am »

don't let them bite
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111848 on: October 18, 2017, 11:25:09 am »

*shudder*
This probably isn't helpful, but I wish you all the luck NFO.  Years ago we had an infestation that just wouldn't end, and it was a nightmare.  There were extenuating circumstances though, most infestations end quickly once you take proper action.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111849 on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:37 am »

This is the third time I personally have had to deal with them, the second at this location.  The good news is that when we had them treated two years ago the exterminator laid down chemicals that destroy the bedbugs reproductive systems, and those chems are good for several years.  We know when the bedbugs arrived, and that the only living ones are larva that hatched here, so the chemicals should have already taken effect.  We'll be getting an exterminator to come in and poison the little bastards anyway, 'cause I hate them with the intensity of a supernova.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111850 on: October 18, 2017, 04:56:13 pm »

Weird.  Though I think Netflix has gone through a mechanical overhaul in the last few days...  I often pause videos for an hour or more, which triggers a sort of "timeout" where it needs to briefly reconnect.  Except now, it always throws me back to the beginning of the video.  I feel like some UI elements changed slightly, too.

I've never encountered either of those specific issues though, sorry ):  If I was worried about filtering I'd try other Netflix shows to see if they work.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #111851 on: October 18, 2017, 09:43:31 pm »

What made me sad today?
I was reading RTRTD, on page 105, when I saw what the last page was marked.

Roll to Roll to Dodge never finished. All that foreshadowing, the time loop, the numerous plot-hinting vague remarks... for nothing.
We will never know the ending. And here I was, wondering how Gatleos would wrap it all up. It's like the Fiction Hangover trope, except if the book was suddenly cut in half.
Nooo...! It can't end now, I just finished reading! ;_;

Derm, you are an unholy monster. Spawned from the blackest abyss and dropped into this otherwise comparitively innocent endeavour, specifically to cause chaos, mayhem, pain, loss and confusion. Carry on the good work.

Frelock, you are perhaps the unluckiest sonofa- that ever lived. Sorry about that.

Divide, keep on Dorfin'. You're doing the mountainhome proud... I think.

HEN... never have I seen so much owed by so many to so few a mop.

Monk - I can't decide whether you're an awesome or a terrible MacGuyver. Please advise.

and finally Gatleos... you've got the patience of a saint, the processing power of a mainframe and the twisted imagination of a mad genius. Bravo.

I wish we could have seen how it ended.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #111852 on: October 19, 2017, 02:48:26 pm »

Seeing forum games and the like dying always depresses me.

Kinda reminds me of how I can't finish a damn thing...

That reminds me...

Not to complain, but I'm unsure if the writing on my "Written Works" thread is being looked at at all.

I was also scared of complaining on this thread because complaining is complaining.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #111853 on: October 19, 2017, 04:15:46 pm »

I, for one, read it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111854 on: October 21, 2017, 04:40:29 pm »

You should absolutely tell us what the subject matter is and then you can cite BAY12 like a proper reprobate.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 7455 7456 [7457] 7458 7459 ... 8168