Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88717 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #1875 on: March 16, 2010, 09:48:56 pm »

The last I heard it would take a couple of weeks to fall to the bottom. So there is plenty of time to fly out and get the lost stuff and corpses, given that we can see them...

It has 4 arms but you need to spend 9 of your levels on it, unless the DM gives you discount LA or substitution of HD...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/xill.htm

Time out, good luck.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: March 16, 2010, 10:01:45 pm »

It has 4 arms but you need to spend 9 of your levels on it, unless the DM gives you discount LA or substitution of HD...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/xill.htm

Uh, the level adjustment on that thing was +4, not +9, am I totally not getting how LA works or something?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: March 16, 2010, 10:20:14 pm »

You have to buy off the hit dice as well.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: March 16, 2010, 10:38:27 pm »

That's going to be difficult with no money but the skin on our backs.

What did I just say?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:29 pm »

Not with money. With XP.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: March 17, 2010, 01:10:47 am »

I wonder how much it would take to put contingency and teleport on my spellbook(s)... and make it so that if anyone else tries to open them or they spend a day away from me, they teleport right to me.

Also still wanna know about that homebrew spell, but the DM doesn't seem to be on the forums just now...
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: March 17, 2010, 01:48:50 am »

1. Because the DM has plot-holed ALL of our stuff away from us except the boat (and even that is now without its parachute)

Hey, you could have run away, i didn't think you'd be silly enough to try and get the possessed psychic to teleport you out.

Off the top of my head, the only >2 armed races i can think of that don't have ludicrous LA are Chitines (i think that's what they're called) from the Underdark book and Thri-Kreen from the MM3.

Anthropomorphic Squid\Octopi have lots of armses too, but suffer from not being able to breathe air without a breather mask. There's probably some 6+ armed animals you could apply the Anthropomorphic template to and get something reasonable out of.

shoruke, i'm going to have to say no to that spell, mostly because it allows wealth generation out of thin air, which is something restricted to certain high-level creation spells (specifically True Creation).

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: March 17, 2010, 02:54:02 am »

Uh, the level adjustment on that thing was +4, not +9, am I totally not getting how LA works or something?
The way it works is that monstrous characters start out as the monster as written (though you can, probably, apply your own feats and skills if you want) and it counts as being a number of levels equal to its level adjustment above its actual level. It gets tricky however when it comes to hit dice. Generally a creature with 1 hit die will replace it with a character class, but if they have more than 1 hit die they are stuck with those hit dice and the hit dice count as character levels.

in short, you get 12 levels, a xill gets 5 hit dice +4 level adjustment = an effective level of 9, leaving you with 3 levels to spend on character classes like fighter...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: March 17, 2010, 09:30:17 am »

Hey, you could have run away, i didn't think you'd be silly enough to try and get the possessed psychic to teleport you out.

Umm we had no way to fly over the chasm, Nernas teleported away and the only other person who could gate already used his only daily charge.

Off the top of my head, the only >2 armed races i can think of that don't have ludicrous LA are Chitines (i think that's what they're called) from the Underdark book and Thri-Kreen from the MM3.

Anthropomorphic Squid\Octopi have lots of armses too, but suffer from not being able to breathe air without a breather mask. There's probably some 6+ armed animals you could apply the Anthropomorphic template to and get something reasonable out of.
I'll look into those later, don't quite have enough time now but thanks.

shoruke, i'm going to have to say no to that spell, mostly because it allows wealth generation out of thin air, which is something restricted to certain high-level creation spells (specifically True Creation).
Ya there already spells that function like that, they arn't very good till high levels but they seem balanced to me.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: March 17, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »

Hmm... Major creation would allow me to craft myself a rudimentary tool out of thin air... then I could use that to craft other things, perhaps... The thing is, that the Major/Minor Creation spells are only temporary, but they create the material out of thin air. Why isn't there a spell that allows me to basically perform insta-chemistry?

Perhaps if the new spell was level 5 (same level as Major Creation), and had as a somewhat costly material component, 5x the mass that you want to transmute? So to make a piece of paper, I would need to sacrifice the weight of five pieces of paper of wood. And to make the bindings for a book, I'd have to sacrifice like, a pig and a half, plus whatever other chemicals are used to treat leather... and even then I'd still need tools and a craft check to make an actual book... and then a quill and ink to write in it.

I guess it's basically Major Creation with a costlier material component and infinite duration, and doesn't allow craft checks.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:08:21 pm by shoruke »

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: March 17, 2010, 01:27:13 pm »

I mean, he kind of does have a point there neruz.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: March 17, 2010, 02:38:19 pm »

Okay got a good look at the two races, if I make a new character not quite sure which to take though leaning towards Chitine a bit.

Chitine get stat bonus's, gets multiweapon for free, small, hard to disarm or grapple, very good at climbing, but is sensitive to sunlight (gonna need goggles) and has total ECL of 5.

Thri-Kreen (MM2 not 3) gets deflect arrows, some exotic weapon profs, some natural weapons (I'd use equipment weapons instead though). Then theres two versions, nonpsionic is ELC 4 and psionic is ELC 6. It sounds like if I do the psion one then I'll actually be gesalting technecally because the wording suggests that even as I take class levels I get more psion powers as well.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:01 pm »

How many HD do those monsters have?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: March 17, 2010, 03:21:51 pm »

Like 2 HD each and 1-3 LA depending on which you choose.

Chitine: 2 HD 2 LA
Nonpsion Thri-Kreen: 2 HD 1 LA
Psion Thri-Kreen: 2 HD 3 LA

The psion one might be worth it if it gets psion powers the way I think it does.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: March 17, 2010, 04:14:27 pm »

If you play as something with spare arms, and add on some of the buffing spells I've got (haste, plus one that gives you some floaty-orbs that attack for free, and one that gives you a scorpion's tail), you'll be dishing out attacks like a shotgun.

Also as a focus caster, I can basically buff two of you at once, so CJ better resume showing up once in a while.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 177