Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 177

Author Topic: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)  (Read 88712 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Moar DnDs on the Interwebs (Back to Fridays\Sundays)
« Reply #1845 on: March 15, 2010, 05:43:41 am »

as more and more monsters start ignoring or breaking the rules things can get very difficult very quickly.
:-\

That doesn't sound like a working system to me.

4e is built on exceptions. It sets a number of 'base rules' (Entities have a Standard, Move and Minor action, attacking is a standard action, moving is a move action and doing other stuff is a minor action) and then supplies limited ways to subvert these rules (PC's for example get Action Points that let them get an extra Standard action once every two encounters).

The result is a heavily tactical game which, when combined with a broader ruleset and less focus on unique subsystems, ends up far more robust than it's predecessors.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: March 15, 2010, 08:09:21 am »

wait... are we on 4e now?

If you are dead you will remain dead! Anyone conspicuously not being dead will have rocks fall on them.
What about the corpses that were saved, and thus could be resurrected?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: March 15, 2010, 12:01:20 pm »

Um, don't we need some really powerful clericy magic to do that?

Becuase, once you hit the ground, there isn't going to be much left. Just... pieces. Tiny pieces. And I though Sinistar couldn't come back anyway?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: March 15, 2010, 01:13:01 pm »

Okay so, I guess since Eosri is both dead and apparently lost, I'm going to go make a transmuter. Someone else gets to be the trickster/trapper, too.

(do I get to have my spellbook, at least? Does Nernas still have his?)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: March 15, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »

I still have my spellbook. Infact I have two spellbooks! My normal one that I started with, and my super duper awesome one that I got from that temple.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: March 15, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »

\
If you are dead you will remain dead! Anyone conspicuously not being dead will have rocks fall on them.
What about the corpses that were saved, and thus could be resurrected?

If you can work out how to retrieve them, you can resurrect them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: March 15, 2010, 08:58:54 pm »

No, I mean the ones that were saved. Like Enson's corpse, for example.

PS: Is my character okay, or do I need to change it moar?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: March 15, 2010, 09:46:27 pm »

No, I mean the ones that were saved. Like Enson's corpse, for example.

MorningLightMountain dumped all the corpses with your gear.

PS: Is my character okay, or do I need to change it moar?

I still don't think the Aristocrat class is appropriate for this campaign.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: March 15, 2010, 10:50:38 pm »

I'm making up a transmuter, for just in case you guys suck at retrieving my corpse.

(do I get to have my spellbook, at least? Does Nernas still have his?)

Spoiler: stuff I want (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Skill tricks (click to show/hide)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: March 15, 2010, 10:54:20 pm »

I still don't think the Aristocrat class is appropriate for this campaign.
Well, if this one doesn't work out, I can try again with a PC class. I figure that I have to give it the old college try, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: March 15, 2010, 11:21:07 pm »

Say, when using the Create Staff feat, are we able to just throw spells into it willy-nilly (with DM's permission, naturally...), or do we have to use pre-defined sets of spells? For instance, could I just make a staff that has all of my stat-buffing transmutation spells, even if no such staff exists in the source books?

Also need to know, if I made a new spellcaster, would he get to keep his spellbook, or would it fall to the Void of Greater Loot Cancelling?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:06 pm »

Keep your spellbook, the in-game representation will be spending the next week or so rewriting it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: March 15, 2010, 11:50:49 pm »

Keep your spellbook, the in-game representation will be spending the next week or so rewriting it.

Excellent. I have a feat that basically gives me twice as many spells known. My spell list is massively huge! And I'm only halfway through it!

Also, my guy is a transmuter, and as soon as I get my hands on a masterwork widgit I basically get two of each of my transmutation spells (as long as they aren't 'personal' range), and my spell list is based around giving you guys a schistload of buffs (more stats, some spare attacks to use as free actions, stuff like that). Also, magical Trickster is going to work very nicely with Explosive Chain Lightning, yes it is.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: March 16, 2010, 12:11:43 am »

Say, when using the Create Staff feat, are we able to just throw spells into it willy-nilly (with DM's permission, naturally...), or do we have to use pre-defined sets of spells? For instance, could I just make a staff that has all of my stat-buffing transmutation spells, even if no such staff exists in the source books?

I don't think it's on the SRD, but at some point i did pick up some expanded item creation rules, not sure if they're official or not, but they seem to work well enough.

Staves are crafted the same as Wands, you can put as many spells of as many different kinds as you like into a Staff, but there are restrictions on charges as follows:

By default, spells use 1/2 their level in charges (rounded down) with a minimum of 1 to cast. So level 0 -2 spells cost 1 charge, level 3 - 5 spells cost 2 charges, level 6 - 9 spells cost 3 charges. If a spell has an XP cost, it costs an extra charge for every 5,000 XP, minimum 1 charge.

When creating a staff, you must choose the spell school it belongs to. Spells that do not belong to the same spell school as the staff can be put into it, but cost 1 extra charge to cast. Spells that are anathema (prohibited school) to the staff's school can be placed into the staff, but cost twice as much to cast as normal. (So putting Ressurection into a Necromancy staff would cost 10 charges over the base 5 (3 for level 7 spell, 2 for 10,000 XP cost)

To get the price of a staff, work it out the same as a wand for each individual spell and then add the results together. Note that a Staff has a minimum caster level of 8.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: March 16, 2010, 12:30:25 am »

Oh hey, I need to know how does one go about making say, scrolls or wands or anything of raise dead? Because I'd really hate to have us all die because we didn't have a cleric to rezz us. So I figure if I could perhaps make something, it would be a lot easier and less stressful.

Though I just realized that our supply of diamonds is gone. Lame.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 177