Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Text you can play; you are somewhere.  (Read 19713 times)

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
Re: Text you can play; you are somewhere.
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2010, 11:55:21 pm »

"Forget them.  They don't care about you.  You are but a game to them.  They talk and talk...  To be frank, we all want some attention.  It's not common that someone is willing to listen to us for so long.

You are more important than us.  We are but mere annoying children.  You're stuck with us, though, so make us useful.  We are good at puzzles, and we can figure things out together.  Please give us a purpose.  If its not too much trouble, take stock of your surroundings. Feel free to suggest any plans you may have.  We'll try to help.

I am your humble servant."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2010, 12:41:54 am »

"Bloody Illuminati Rabbit.

If you wanna keep your sanity,  stay away from him.
Seriously, he uses this to represent himself:

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 06, 2010, 07:59:33 pm »

"Argh, seeing as how everyone and Nivm left...
    I'm gonna say some things.
    • First, my name is Daniel, although I prefer others to call me Phantom.
    • Second, I live in the country called the United States of America, a more exact area I live in is the city of San Diego.
    • Everyone that may contact you has a quirk. Such as me being annoying and cruel at certain points.
    • I guess you're underground or in a fortified building, due to the fact of stone walls and stone floor.
    • I know you hate me anyway. No way to change that fact either, I'm easy to hate."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:46:27 pm by Phantom »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 06, 2010, 10:43:45 pm »

ThE oTheR vOIcEs LIE to you
dO NOT!!!! listen TO them

garthisyourenemy

Destroy him
Destroy them all
DESTROY EVERYTHING

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2010, 10:45:28 pm »

"That weird thought was Cheddarius, local insane man that escaped from the VN Mental Asylum.

Sir, it's time to take your medicine..."

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2010, 10:56:27 pm »

He iS LYING
DOn't liSTeN to hIM
he caNNOT sileNce tHe TRUTH

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2010, 10:57:37 pm »

"Alright guys, let's administer the medicine."
[A sound of plastic and metal come, and another sound of a man being restrained.]

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2010, 11:12:09 pm »

(Phantom, I was hoping very hard that your vehemence was purely role-play, but you preformed the internet equivalent of randomly yelling cuss words at someone you pass daily on the street. People are opposing you because of that aggression, so don't you think it would be a better idea to dilute it instead of proving it?
 Also, more essays, not the kind of thing that will keep him on track...or give him one. But we'll see.)

(Actually Phantom, after re-reading it however-many times [5 days out of ten, I'm not as sick anymore] I have to facepalm. First an explanation of things that bear no impact on the situation, second a history blurb of the same importance, and fourth/sixth a bunch of fairly random conversation [half of which is in command form] and sound. You know what it is and what it's going to do right now, yet you wrote it anyway. Can you now tell why your posts confuse me?
*Returns after week-long procrastination.*)
>Phantom: Twice, instead of half.
 I probably wouldn't▬ Hn, he was quoting you. You sit back and listen, but have trouble focusing on the words pouring into your mind. If only because you meet resistance, you sit up against the wall and try very hard to keep track of what the words mean. The Phantom voice is going to try explaining the images he gave you at some point before. You can't seem to recall just what the images were, but you infer what they likely be, with the descriptions. A moment after "steel fortress" your mind loses cohesion and your understanding plummets. You return to yourself at "that was a boat" and keep track of what he speaks. '12000, what was left of the people?' You're mildly confused by the sudden change of subject at "because it was▬called a plane" but you regain comprehension. 'Another quarter of a 10000?[←one word]' Then at "we lost a lot of people" you ask 'how much is a lot?' You feel dizzy for a second, then he lists off an assertion to you. As you comprehend it he lists another, of which you are more eager to answer. You speak over his next words with; 'That is what I'm trying to find. Finding a purpose will be my...' You totally lose track of what you were saying, and gain track of the Phantom voice's advice. You're not sure why you would need to travel light, or travel at all. Although you guess they would probably...probably... Phantom starts talking again. 'You already explained that!...Goodbye.' Glad that he is gone, you wait for what will probably be another speech, and another, and many after. You feel tired all of a sudden, and notice another one of those thoughts in your mind. This one is directed at Phantom, and seems to be some kind of reminder. Then there's Phantom, again. You look around the room trying to find something else to focus on, half-hearing a grinding and a low hum. You move over to the open drawer and jump at the sound of a thundering bang; Phantom yells.
Anger smolders in your gut.
 You clench your teeth, hold your head, and strain to drive everything out of your mind! You will hear no more voices, no more sounds, you will see no more images, and receive no thoughts! Your mind you be your own if you have to tear it appart trying! And you drive out the world.

A dull ache returns to your consciousness, or returns you to consciousness. You lay on the floor, fallen from a sitting position, with your arms covering your head yet your face to the cold stone. The very cold stone. Your body and mind feel sluggish as your joints pop from leaving the bad position. You turn and climb up the side of the bed, getting away from the stone. It is dark, the brazier burning even less than before. You reach and pull the stand near the bed, heedless of the possible danger. You use your bare claw to stir up the coals, and are rewarded with a waft of warm air. You grab the blanket and pull it over yourself, but open to the warmth. You relax, allowing the meager heat to spread over you.

(It appears "I" did pretty much skip your post, even though when I finally began I was so set against it. Still seems wrong, but it's better than redoing it and stalling longer.)

>RAM: "I don't believe that thee has been any fighting near you. Any associated actions and sounds are generated in the same manner as the voices." "I have somewhat lost track of all that we have made you do, but I think that we were responsible for you attacking Garth and for moving all the stuff around in your previous abode. For reference I will now make you raise a finger."
 A quiet voice surprises you, and after its first statement, you know that whatever you did, didn't work. This troubles you little, the sudden anger you felt before dissipated, and little to replace it. Even the slow understanding that some voices are messing with you on purpose comes as no surprise; not because you really expected it, but because nothing would surprise you right now. The voice tells you where some blame may come, if not where it may go.

> Raise a finger.
 You jerk you hand up for a moment, then marvel at it. You saw the thought coming, but did nothing. You stir the coals a bit more.
You are tired.
You are vague and vaporous.
You are thirsty.
You are cold.
Your muscles ache.
Your guts aaache.

>RAM: "And now something else without telling you first, so that you will not be thinking about it when it happens."
 Now the voice tells you it will send something else. You decide to stop this one, allowing that the voice probably has no idea what you're doing right now. Maybe lighting the bed on fire would be a bad idea.

> Open and close your mouth 4 times each in quick succession.
 The thought comes promptly and you resist it; holding your mouth tighter in excess.

>RAM: "I suggest that you should try to get some information, you might be able to see something through the cracks at the edges of the door, or you might be able to use something to scratch a hole in the walls large enough to see through. And consider asking any guards about current events..."
 You hadn't thought of asking those questions, but you add that to your mental list of things to ask...well, create the list, since you don't find one.

(Hm, I don't recall what this sounds like.) (*Returns after a very long parade of hard days.*)
> Hum the first line of Mary had a Little Lamb.
 You begin humming some almost familiar tune, but cough, and lose it. You find a familiar tune and hum it in stead, but you also lose it, and consciousness.
You are unconscious, among other more distant things.

>Armok: Testy explanation.
 You sit on a marble bench, that sits on a ledge, that sits in a mossy canyon. You look up, where the sun shines, and all the rock is covered in vines and moss. You look down, and see the trickling water, not strong enough to reach the bare rock right now. Affixed in midair above the sand is a sewer conduit; out which pours words that gleam red in the sunlight. You wonder about it, not about how impossible it seems, but who installed it; who laid down the mortar and masonry? The words stop dripping out, and you see a wooden contraption topple its way out of the edifice to go splash in the water below. It looks like it could be used to block the flow from the conduit, but you see little point, as rusty metal version is already installed. As more very dark red words pour onto the sand, you watch as the bunch of finished wood is pushed farther down stream. Looking at both of them, you think the metal one would be more likely to get stuck, but the wooden one would be more likely to break. So then the wooden one rests beside your bench, right before you hear a giant grinding and a deep, squishy thud below. It appears a large column of stone fell out of the floating channel, burying itself into an island of sand. And then your on the island, looking up at it. Its multilayered stone is carved quite unlike the curves of your canyon; the difference between water and chisel. You walk around the pillar, noting how very ordered the many colors are, and what they say. You return your attention to the sewer's edge and see more of the black-red words splattering on the sand. They stop, but out falls a polished marble block, which you immediately take back up to the ledge. Then falls a small grate, out which comes another, smaller pillar of stone that buries right beside the first. Your tempted to close the metal gate above the conduit, but then falls a steel cube! You put that with the other stuff, but find it out of place. You start thinking of where it should go when a loud, cracking, grinding sound emanates from the floating masonry. Something too large is being jammed through it, and only broken shards fall into the sand below. The grinding stops, and more dark words splatter down. You realize now that the words are made of blood, but are cleaned away by the slow flow. A bird chirps high above.

(I know I'm not done, but I wanted to post this for tonight, since it has been sitting around so long. Just no more commands yet! I will be at least working on this every night from now on, so send commands after I have the other part. (Commented) conversation is fine though.)

(Edit: Not tonight, looks like. Will depend on if tomorrow is as exhausting as previous days have been.
 Oh, and are you guys planning on using constant chatting to guide the story because of the times between updates? You can tell the situation's changed a bit, and there are things you can expect...)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:12:04 am by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2010, 11:24:10 pm »

Well, I'm gonna get nowhere if I keep acting like that for the dude.
Maybe I just need to be harsher.
Or insane.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 07, 2010, 12:21:16 am »

insaNe yoU sAy?

insane?

INSANE?

HA HA HAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 07, 2010, 12:24:48 am »

((Not a command, just useless crap.
Young, British-American, Soldier, Uncaring, Bit Harsh))

"Sir, why don't you SHUT THE BLOODY UP WHILE WE'RE TRYING TO GIVE YOU YOUR DAMN MEDICINE!"

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #251 on: March 07, 2010, 12:57:36 am »

(I had forgotten about this, and it updated twice in that time! (Well, once and a half)
It might be a good idea for me, from now on, toss in a [To <other player>] when responding to someone while intentinally allowinng the character to hear. It would have made things more evident to him...)
Eh?
Eh!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Text you can play; you are somewhere.
« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2010, 04:18:50 pm »

(When I began I promised myself I would only effect things of chance outside of the player's point of view, although few things are left up to chance. Anyway, since you guys don't appear to be trying to escape [you lost one method, out of three], I'm going to bring in a lesser deamon.
 Oh, and the "_" marks are there because the spoilers remove the space-indent below them.)

>Phantom:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
_More dark words pour out onto the sand, some of them aflame. Metallic words follow, forming a puddle within a puddle on the moist sand. The sand soon dries, and the water will not reach it. Not now anyway. There is a cacophony above as some birds decide to chase each other. You find the sound very distracting, and look up.
 You awake to find all the blood rushing to your head as someone jostles you around. "Awake" probably isn't the right word, as you can't seem to think about anything. Your body is still very numb, and you are doubled over. The walls are illuminated by a flickering light, but shadow covers the extending hall. You are not aware of the doors passing by, but you are aware you'll probably remember whatever is going on. You hear some light noises involving metal, then some heavy ones. You almost feel like really waking up when you meet the ground, but you hear an irritating voice and try diving deeper into sleep. The effort just makes you even more irritated, and even closer to consciousness. You notice the words you are hearing are jibberish, then they fade quickly. The door closes. You feel under your blankets for stuff; nothing. The fire crackles in a familiar way.

(Voice: Obviously minded, neutral, and helpful. Draws a light background of chaos corruption and displacement though. What an odd forum game you have [/hypocrisy].)
>The Mad Engineer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
_Your mind clears faster than expected, but still slowly. You hear another new voice speaking to you, and semithink briefly about how well you've kept track of them and how well you will. Armok, Phantom, Ram, Nivm, and some others whose names you don't recall. You might have missed a couple words, but you listen to the voice...sans the meaning. Your mind finishes turning on at "feeling free to suggest any plans you may have" and you try to remember what else the voice said, almost like remembering a dream but with more success. You give your rigid grin, and ask the air 'then tell me, voices, how do I solve the puzzle I'm in?' You sit there, expecting the voice to respond momentarily, then remember how these voices work. Instead of feeling like you've wasted breath, you decide to take advantage of the system. The first thing that comes to mind is 'are you really children?' They really are whiny enough. 'Aak,'(*) thinking at high speeds about nothing and blankness 'I haven't really had time to think of anything, but' your mind continues to pull up nothing but the fact you see to be having a whole lot of trouble thinking of anything. Your mind doesn't really feel all that slow or cloudy, but when put to a task you can't remember anything and you imagine nothing. Why were you even talking? There must have been something...yes, it was about▬ ▬ plans! What thoughts you've had for... the voices to hear, after trying to make a list of things to be heard. 'Burning blood, why is this so hard?' You had already asked a couple questions, and in response to one voice. You remember those words, thankfully, and get back on track. This one gave a few answers, or at least some simple ones...that's assuming you can trust any of them of course.
 If some indeterminate time late, you start waking up your body. You push yourself up, roll over, and look around (with only little ripping sounds). You see that old rocking chair silhouetted by fire, and a number of familiar objects around the room, enclosed by familiar rough stone walls. You lay on a bunch of unruly blankets, and you are still wearing your wrappings. The vases and some shiny objects are still over the fireplace. The shelving is still full of books and bookholders. The junk is still around the floor, mostly in the corners. There is a table by the door with a bowl of hot soup and some of that horrible tea. You know the soup is hot because you got up to eat it right after looking. When your frenzied slurping ends, you sit down in the single-blanket chair and enjoy the triad of warmth.
You are thirsty.
You feel stiff.
Your muscles ache.
Your guts ache.
(* Like "umm". The "k" is bit more like clearing one's throat.)

>Phantom:
_You tense up, Phantom again! You're in no mood for company. 'Go away! Why do you always have to bother me?' your words come out kinder than you demand. As usual, there isn't any kind of response, just what he had already decided to say. You don't really have any idea who he's talking about, or the vivid scribble. He sends a new sight of himself, which you dismiss slightly slower than the last one. It may be real, if very strange, but one would need a ridiculously large mirror or another very clear mind to get an image of one's self. This is an image of someone else. At least it wasn't a complete lie this time... You can't remember last time.

>Phantom:
Spoiler: some things (click to show/hide)
_Phantom returns shortly, and reminds you of a question; 'Who is Nivm? Exactly?' The voice continues, but you feel confident that this will be heard whenever that burst happens. You've stopped really caring when it is, since you can't predict... You sit still, save for twisting your ring, and look into the fire. You know you can never trust what the voices say, but something about the unrecognizable, human names strikes true. You smile(*) when he calls cruelty a quirk. 'You are, indeed, easy to hate.'
 'Who is it you speak to?' said the darkness in the corner. You are now completely still, and look to the corner from the corner of your eye. The voice seemed somehow slimy, and small. 'I speak to no one but myself,' you lie. There is a small noise, like a congested one preparing to speak, but then a pause. You feel like you're being watched carefully, and check to make sure your mental barriers still hold; they hold strong. The darkness then speaks 'it's not healthy to hate your self, little man.' You respond neutrally with "I never said I did.' It says nothing, but you feel a light press against your shields, like a test. 'Why so much armour? Do you expect to find battle here?' The lingering sound disgusts you, and makes you feel weak. 'Do you really need to keep such a vigil?' The thing, you think, probes your shields again, longer this time. 'I only find battle with myself, here.' No, you think, but that might not be too off the mark. 'And I am always in striking distance.' You note here that this thing must not know much about shields, since after enough time they take no effort at all. The thing in the corner seems to pause, then says 'But you don't seem to be fighting, why not call a truce?' At the word "truce" you begin to feel somewhat sick, and your shields seem heavier.
You feel ill, somehow.
You are thirsty.
Your muscles ache.
Your guts ache.

(...and things you cannot expect. This is a rather important moment, and tossing the remaining commands at it doesn't seem right [doesn't look right either]. So I added a poll on how to proceed. If the votes are close, I'll do a kind of combo.)
(*Instead of the iknan's gaping grin, he smiled with his eyes, in the same way anything with eyes can. Humans tend not to see this.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2010, 04:51:34 pm »

"Just a quickie: I sent you some memories, once you get time you should check them out."
[inserts memory of the last 10 or so posts in the thread]

"Who is this person?"
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2010, 05:01:04 pm »

(Getting tired with original guy, I'm going with the British-American soldier)
"Armok, that won't do shit but irritate the person.

Listen, I don't know what the hell is going on or where the hell are you. I suggest you get up and confront that strange little creature talking to you. Just go up to it and take a better look to see who you're talking to. I also guess you don't like truces, when to opponents agree to stop fighting.

Also, some news for you. Phantom's leg has been crushed by a vehicle. Bad news is he'll survive. But hey the latter is good news for me."

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24