Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Sparkgear 6: I made the game too hard  (Read 55922 times)

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear 6 Besieged by SOF
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2009, 06:21:31 am »

Neither of these challenges are insurmountable.    They're just.... going to take a bit more work.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2009, 07:35:48 am »

23rd Slate, 305
Lokum went outside to the battlements, accompanied by a small group of the fort's finer artisans. The hover-orcs loitered on the other side of the river, waiting for the dwarves to make a deadly mistake. "These hover-orcs can avoid any proximity sensing device we know to build by simply hovering above the pressure plates and triggers. That rules out conventional traps or plate-based designs. They are also unnervingly fast," Lokum paused and directed the dwarves' attention to a moving orc. The air flow in his wake caused a small stack of polished rabbit bones to topple. "so their speed rules out any corridor-based design where we trap them in transit. We must, instead, tackle them while they're standing still, or confined to a small area."
"We could build some catapults to pelt them with stones." said one of the miners.
Lokum considered that for a moment and said "That could work for some of the orcs, but the corners won't be covered, and our workers would have a very hard time working outside while the orcs are so close."
A marksdwarf overheard the conversation and pitched in. "We could use some more bolts, y'know. We got nothing, not even bones, because the orcs are sitting on them."
"Hovering above them." one of the junior marksdwarves corrected.
"We don't have a lot of bone inside our walls, but we do have some copper. You'll get some copper bolts, but don't get used to it. We don't have a lot of land, which means we won't have a lot of metal." Lokum noted down his promise. "Let's get back to the traps. We can't waste ten bars of metal on every siege. What can we do to a loitering hover-orc?"
A novice mason shyly blurted out the elementary answer "Magma?"
"Well, that could work, but we can't build magma pipelines above the tundra while the hover-orcs are there." Lokum said, feeling a little sorry for shooting down the mason.
"We could build the magma pipeline inside and lure the orcs in." the mason added.
Lokum smiled and patted him on the back. "Now we're talking! We could build two magma pipes near the northern entrance, and add two flooding rooms below them. But how will we get the orcs inside?"
A miner pointed at a a freshly killed rabbit, surrounded by feasting hover-orcs. "We could tie up some of our animals as bait."
"Yes, that could work." Lokum paused to think. "Well, I have all the ideas I need! You'll get your work orders shortly. Meeting adjourned."

14th Hematite, 305
"The hover-orcs are gone! They lifted the siege!" one marksdwarf shouted from the battlements. He and his colleagues have been bothering the orcs with copper and bone bolts while the miners, masons and mechanics worked on Lokum's trap, codenamed Magma Shower. The digging was nearly done.

16th Hematite, 305
"The hover-orcs are back!" that same marksdwarf shouted.
"Big deal. Use the bone bolts we've been making to convince them to leave." Lokum didn't have time for that petty business. He was now in the final phase of construction, installing and linking the moving parts.

26th Galena, 306
"Why are people dying?"
"I don't know!"
"Are we sealed?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"Lokum's dead too. What the fuck?"
"I don't know, I told you!"
"They don't have any archers outside, what the hell is going on?"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2009, 07:47:04 am »

Nice, a 2 day rest interim.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2009, 08:41:47 am »

The marksdwarves do a surprisingly good job. It makes my magma showers seem convoluted and flimsy.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2009, 11:54:27 am »

Oh God. I just realized that my turn is right after Barbarossa the Seal God's.

Yay! New sig!

Oh wow.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2009, 12:53:44 pm »

I tried and failed to make a magma flooder. The lower level pumps, and the gear assembly, just melted, I underestimated the pumps' ability to melt.

n.dravid

• Bay Watcher
  • A Rabbit is Enraged!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2009, 01:11:44 pm »

I tried and failed to make a magma flooder. The lower level pumps, and the gear assembly, just melted, I underestimated the pumps' ability to melt.

The magnitude of your failure gives me hope! Well done.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »

God damn it. I used the death road once, got lucky and then tried again. An orc or two came in and managed to kill 20 or so people, including the entire marksdwarf corps, before dying. No tantrum spiral yet, this fortress is surprisingly resilient. I drafted five useless farmhands and let them have crossbows. I'm currently building them a worthy archery range.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:28:33 pm by AlienChickenPie »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2009, 01:55:35 pm »

Yeah, most of the poor probably gave up any hopes or caring about anything and just continue following orders out of habit.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2009, 02:12:11 pm »

Spirits of Fire just ambushed me in mid-air. They flew past the fortifications and started wreaking havoc.
Play the soundtrack:
We'll Meet Again
Enjoy the inferno:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1716-spiritsoffireburnsparkgearvi
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1717-spiritsoffirecontinuetoburnsparkgearvi
That's a little more than 20 second of footage. It seemed much longer while I was shooting it, due to the low FPS.

At this point, I have to decide whether I savescum or reclaim. Is it even possible to beat a bunch of SoF's with a reclaim party?

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2009, 02:45:11 pm »

No. No it isn't.

Savescum.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2009, 03:07:47 pm »

You know, I almost wrote up a bit where this Sparkgear was the afterlife of past Sparkgear leaders, just based on how so many of the dwarves were named.  It was going to be Nil's punishment for throwing Brak in the pit back in IV to lead this place. 

That was before I found out that the fortress was a world where demons could literally swoop down and kill everyone whenever they felt like it.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24:27 pm »

I did. The Spirits ambushed again, this time appearing on the ground and starting a fire, all without showing up on the unit list. The fire burned out, and it's still running at 9 FPS.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2009, 04:35:38 pm »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W1RSGBLA
Here's the save. If you have too much trouble with the FPS-killing spirits, and you can't get rid of them with some RAW trickery, I've got an earlier save too.

Syzgyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2009, 05:25:09 pm »

Alright, I'm in with a hefty 8 fps, woo.

This should be interesting, I've never played such a small map.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24