Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Sparkgear 6: I made the game too hard  (Read 55898 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear 6
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2009, 03:24:42 pm »

I'm done anyway.

SAVE                  MAP

Fenced in an area outdoors, made a magma/drowning trap, started training a small military (marksdwarves), continued the metal industry, survived a human siege (they don't talk anymore so show no mercy) and several kobold ambushes.  Completed DS's well and river-heater, although the latter didn't work as well as was hoped. 

Watch your drinks--there's a barrel shortage so the booze can go dry fast.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:30:03 pm by nil »

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2009, 04:14:57 pm »

Sieging Spirits of Fire, BOO HOO. Those of you begging for cheating mercy ought to have your beards waxed.
Lead them into a corridor framed by dry moats and bridges, lose the bridges, collapse the ceiling on top of the trapped bastards. If they are somehow resistant to having crap dropped on them, you may still be able to contain them, shoot them with siege weapons or use them as target practice (provided they don't breathe fire across z-levels) instead of the inferior and elflike archery targets.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:30:12 pm by AlienChickenPie »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2009, 04:50:00 pm »

Sieging Spirits of Fire, BOO HOO. Those of you begging for cheating mercy ought to have your beards waxed.
Lead them into a corridor framed by dry moats and bridges, lose the bridges, collapse the ceiling on top of the trapped bastards. If they are somehow resistant to having crap dropped on them, you may still be able to contain them, shoot them with siege weapons or use them as target practice (provided they don't breathe fire across z-levels) instead of the inferior and elflike archery targets.
Pfah, I was saving fortresses when you were still using training axes.  The problem with a cave-in defense is that they fly, making it sort of difficult to get a lock on them.  I think the best bet is a single-tile maze with ballistas shooting down the corridors.

One nice thing--their ambush parties give themselves away by starting fires, so you always have a little warning.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2009, 05:05:13 pm »

Alright, downloaded game and is up and running!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »

Pfah, I was saving fortresses when you were still using training axes.  The problem with a cave-in defense is that they fly, making it sort of difficult to get a lock on them.  I think the best bet is a single-tile maze with ballistas shooting down the corridors.

One nice thing--their ambush parties give themselves away by starting fires, so you always have a little warning.

SOF's move too fast for ballista's to be effective, even with high quality balista/trained dwarves.

The best bet are spike traps.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2009, 07:32:39 pm »

I don't see how the flying is relevant, you lead them through a bottleneck with a rigged ceiling above it, there's nowhere for them to run, except for the safe tiles on the ceiling's perimeter, which they have no reason to prefer. To make sure all of the tiles the spirits pass through are under the rigged ceiling, you put in a few drawbridges and raise them so that they block the perimeter of the ceiling without supporting it. The demons come in, you block them in by raising drawbridges protected by dry moats, and then you drop the ceiling. If they are not cave-in proof they should die.
That said, trapping the spirits in a small corridor and then riddling them with ballista bolts (complete with a channel to catch the bolts) should do the job faster and easier. In order to negate the SoFs' fast movement speed, confine them to a corridor aligned with the ballista's line of fire. That way, they won't be able to dogde the bolts.

On an unrelated note, I have an idea for a magma trap, but it depends on the game's pathing and AI. Suppose a magma-vulnerable creature is traversing an area on the way to a destination, and magma starts rising, blocking its path to the destination and confining it to an ever-smaller area. The flow is designed to stop and leave only a small peak untouched by mama. Will the creature be smart enough to flee the magma and reach the high ground, or will it cook to death?

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2009, 07:56:25 pm »

If it can path back out, it will flee.

If it cannot, it won't start running till it's feet are on fire.

And by that point... well...  it might as well die.

I'd like to poitn out that SOF's are immune to all forms of magma/drowning traps.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2009, 10:51:38 pm »

Damnit...
The spirits of fire killed me off, and the reclaim cant kill them since they're marked as friendlies, and then they burn up when they get too close.
I'll have to start from the savegame provided since I didn't backup...

6 hours of work gone to waste :(
It's early in the morning now, Im not sure I'll be able to do much tomorrow, I'll let you know though when I wake up..
Om Nom nom nom nom

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2009, 11:16:02 pm »

... D: SoFs... in turn 3. when my turn comes, it's--

oh yeah, sparkgear. i'm supposed to be prepared for this by signing up here. okay. nevermind.

i wonder when my turn'll come. ugh. so much waiting. on the while, my testplay's going well. wonder if the SoFs will show up...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2009, 01:09:26 am »

Danarca, change their progresss triggers in the entity default to 5, see if that helps, or dl the nerfed version a few posts up.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2009, 11:04:50 am »

303 24th Obsidian
I felt something entering me yesterday.. Like a force...
It happened in the middle of the dining room while everyone was in it, some strange light entered my body, and I lost consciousness..

Some of the older dwarves says they've seen it when dwarves gets possessed, but I'm still in control of myself...
Don't know how, but...
I must create it...
It will be glorious...
My name's Danarca, and it will be done.

25th Obsidian
Oh great, apparently only one of our 7 farms were activated.

14th Slate
I've made a central tower in the courtyard, designed to be somewhat easy to expand upwards.
Project Baby is coming along fine, her roof is starting to come along.

21st Slate
The mad mechanic withdrew from society today.
Luckily for him Project Baby isn't in her phase requiring mechanics yet.
He grabbed 3 pieces of alunite and churned out, surprisingly, an alunite mechanism he called Clappeddespairs.
I get the feeling he wants it in a bridge.

304  6th Felsite
I've begun to finish the obsidian factory one of my predecessors started, Baby needs obsidian.
Om Nom nom nom nom

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2009, 12:17:23 pm »

Could i take spot number 24?
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2009, 01:43:29 pm »

What the hell!!!
An orc siege arrived, and about 80% of them had that weird speed bug that usually only hits wagons!
EDIT:
By the way, who the hell made giant cave spider silk crafts with novice craftsdwarves?
ANOTHER EDIT:
Yeah alright, orcs got [SPEED:0].
Im sorry, but that's not even Fun™, that's just silly.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:52:50 pm by Danarca »
Om Nom nom nom nom

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2009, 03:10:23 pm »

9th Galena
Olon the animal trainer withdrew from society today.
He claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop
More importantly, Babys roof are about 25% done.

22nd Galene
He damands wood.
No threats have been observed in a while, it maybe a trap, but I've let the outer bridge down so we can cut wood and gather some of the debris from earlier clashes.

7th Limestone
Olon began the construction today.
Also, I have decided to build a bridge to the other side of the river, controlled by the same lever as the one controlling the outside bridge.
There's just too much wood over there, half our population are sleeping on the floors!

16th Limestone
The dwarves arrived to trade today.
We bought it all for mugs and the leftovers of dead orcs.

18th Timber
By Armok it's cold!
Even the heated river is frozen!
The merchants went home today, that's going to be one chilly ride..

19th Timer
CURSES!!
I've run out of obsidian!
Work on the obsidian factory is being intensified.

25th Timer
Wow, alot of women gave birth today.
4 new dwarves in the fortress.
Solon was elected to be the first mayor of Sparkgear.

9th Moonstone
Solon told us a joke today. He said he mandated the construction of 3 dragon scale items.
We laughed.
He didn't.

13th Moonstone
Orcs arrived today.
Everyone is inside and safe.

9th Opal
Nil withdrew from society today.
The orcs are still outside, our marksdwarves have decimated about 40% of them.
He claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop and a lot of junk and created a wicked harmonica worth 10% of the entire fortress.

305 2nd Granite
The obsidian factory should in theory work now.
Time for it's first run, more obsidian for Baby!

20th Slate
To my horror, it appears obsidian isn't magma-proof, just alunite.
This renders all my work on Baby useless, and one of the floodgates controlling the obsidian factory have melted.
It's over...
Poor Baby....

I hope my successor will do better...
I let her down... Baby....
I just wanted to flood the world...

---
Damnit, I saw alunite was magma-proof so I assumed obsidian was aswell..
I give up, I'm not in the mood to upload the map, sorry =/
SAVE
I recommend downloading the nerfed version and changing the orcs speed.
Also remove the bridges near the edges on my flood-everything-with-magma trap, slimes and enemies can come in from there.

Good luck.
Om Nom nom nom nom

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2009, 12:24:52 am »

barb has his ways but this time there hasn't been any damage which is wierd for barb

Because I haven't started yet.

NOW I'm starting.  ;D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24