Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10274 10275 [10276] 10277 10278 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15760355 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

My laptop is functional again! As always, the solution was to exterminate Windows.

Say, have any of you ever gotten the error on Win8 where it gets stuck in a loop on boot (does something like "Preparing automatic diagnostics") and then it does it forever? And refuses to back up?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

I'm starting to wonder if it's a bug that it needs to restart for updates literally every other day.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

My laptop is functional again! As always, the solution was to exterminate Windows.

Say, have any of you ever gotten the error on Win8 where it gets stuck in a loop on boot (does something like "Preparing automatic diagnostics") and then it does it forever? And refuses to back up?

You shouldn't have bought an even numbered version of Windows.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

You shouldn't have bought an even numbered version of Windows.
Most laptops come with some version of Windows pre-installed.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

2000 was rather good, and its even numbered...

Also, i dont think you can really get a laptop without an OS installed... And most places dont sell ones loaded with win7 these days...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Ah, but Windows 2000 (which was amazing at the time for anything short of gaming) was actually NT 5!   8)

It should be possible to "downgrade" from 8 to 7 on most machines, though if it's anything like the Windows 7 to XP downgrade, they'll be charging an embarassing amount.

Worth it, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I hate to break it to you, but Windows 8 is actually NT 7.1 as of now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Finally got my drivers license renewed! I can go places! And do things! And if i get pulled over i don't have to pretend to be too illiterate to read the expiration date!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I hate to break it to you, but Windows 8 is actually NT 7.1 as of now.
...Huh. So does that make Win10 NT 8?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

What's NT? Nanotrasen? Did Microsoft get taken over by an intergalactic company when I wasn't looking?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

FINALLY
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

You know how windows 95 and 98 (and ME lol) weren't actually operating systems, but fancy programs running on top of DOS?
Well, they were...

Windows NT (New Technology) was the first one that abandoned DOS and was an actual operating system.  That's why we need DosBox to run DOS games now, since DOS is no longer running.  It's also one reason why windows games for 3.1 to 98 need so much compatibility jiggering.  Windows 2000 is "based on NT" (says so on the loading screen!) in that it's actually version 5 of NT.  And all versions of desktop Windows since then have also been, under the hood, versions of NT!

Mmm I just made and ate a batch of pepper rice with ground beef.  Also got a good night's sleep finally.  Feeling really good.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

XP was NT 5.1, of course. Vista was 6, 7 was 6.1, 8 was 7, 8.1 is 7.1.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

After about an hour of stupid wrangling about on the phone, I've determined that Mediacom's obnoxious proprietary router management software that we have to use is a lying sack of shit, and will refuse to switch to WEP encryption no matter how much you tell it to do so. This is actually not a terrible idea, since WEP is just so awfully insecure - there should be very few people who can tell that it's lying, and who also would ever want to use WEP. But, anyway, I threw up my hands in frustration and did the absolute silliest possible "attack" on WPA2 - relying on a dictionary whose sole entry was the actual password.

So that's one homework assignment done with.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

2000 was rather good, and its even numbered...

Also, i dont think you can really get a laptop without an OS installed... And most places dont sell ones loaded with win7 these days...

The "even versions of windows suck" rule applies to desktop OSes made for the average consumer.

Windows 2000 was mostly designed for server and business use.

I also seem to remember something about an option to "downgrade" your windows 8 to windows 7, because so many people were upset about it. I don't remember the details though since I never purchased a computer with win 8 installed.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 10274 10275 [10276] 10277 10278 ... 13325