Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8329 8330 [8331] 8332 8333 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778192 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: [!!PIZZA!!] CAN YOU GUESS WHAT, ITS A MYSTERY (happy thread?!)
« Reply #124950 on: March 24, 2014, 05:18:39 pm »

I feel very uncomfortable around anyone I don't trust.
Isn't that the sort of box standard for people?
The implication I'm trying to make is that if lying is supposed to be an extremely basic tool for human interaction, I'd feel extremely uncomfortable around pretty much everyone.

I don't feel that way, and I don't feel most people lie unless they have reason to.
o_O

Lying is a learned interaction. If it's basic where you are...
>_>
<_<
Forgive me for saying I'm happy where I am.

Ah, I'm glad you hang around the better kind of people~
^ This! :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124951 on: March 24, 2014, 05:22:12 pm »

Clothing is obfuscation of the truth of the flesh. Lying in form for the language of your body. I'm genuinely glad to see you and Kaij are functioning in healthy naturist enclaves, but I will be over here, enjoying my second set of fur forged from deceit.

The manipulation and presentation (consciously or not) of selective truths -- lying by any other name -- is as fundamental to human interaction as love~
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:24:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124952 on: March 24, 2014, 05:26:43 pm »

I like how you made that into poetry. xD

The manipulation and presentation (consciously or not) of selective truths -- lying by any other name -- is as fundamental to human interaction as love~
And I'd argue 100% against you on this one that it ain't fundamental to human interaction~ :I
Why'dya gotta lie...
I'd love how ironically brilliant it is in itself if that statement was a lie. :P But I can't read cryptic tells. :<

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #124953 on: March 24, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »

Clothing is obfuscation of the truth of the flesh. Lying in form for the language of your body. I'm genuinely glad to see you and Kaij are functioning in healthy naturist enclaves, but I will be over here, enjoying my second set of fur forged from deceit.

The first is only true if you shop at Emperor's New Clothing Store (TM).

The second is a false equivalence. If a lie by omission is a lie, then you are a perpetual liar no matter what you do. And if an unconscious misrepresentation of truth is a lie, then there's no possibility to not lie.

Also, are you stealthily trying to say lying is not fundamental to human interaction?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #124954 on: March 24, 2014, 05:29:56 pm »

And possibly a sideways indication of a belief that people are inherently good?

We can't have that around here! Cynicism ho!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #124955 on: March 24, 2014, 05:33:23 pm »

What ... is the syndrome?

Pudding syndrome.

Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124956 on: March 24, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »

Puddingface xD

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124957 on: March 24, 2014, 05:42:01 pm »

The second is a false equivalence. If a lie by omission is a lie, then you are a perpetual liar no matter what you do. And if an unconscious misrepresentation of truth is a lie, then there's no possibility to not lie.
Haha, yes! You get it! To deceive is to exist, to exist, deceive! Truth is not a matter of not lying, but rather a matter of deciding how you lie, to whom, and the extent to which your lies cohere to that which is called fact. As you say, often your body lies for you, even if your mind wishes otherwise.

Also, are you stealthily trying to say lying is not fundamental to human interaction?
I'm saying that the manipulation and presentation of truths -- deception by any other name -- is as fundamental to human interaction as love is. No more, no less. The extent we can live without love is the extent we can live without lies. Selective truths are intrinsic to the process of communication ♪

E: In other news, delicious pudding brain. Thank you, Owlga.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:45:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124958 on: March 24, 2014, 06:02:13 pm »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124959 on: March 24, 2014, 06:10:46 pm »

Haha, yes! You get it! To deceive is to exist, to exist, deceive! Truth is not a matter of not lying, but rather a matter of deciding how you lie, to whom, and the extent to which your lies cohere to that which is called fact. As you say, often your body lies for you, even if your mind wishes otherwise.
((I'd love turning this into a philosophical debate :P))
But is it not in what you perceive that your conclusion is based on? A lie by the body is on the interpretation of the viewer, influenced by their state of mind and their emotions, but solely on what they know.

Is it a lie if what they perceive is the truth?
And on a lesser note, I firmly believe that lying is learned. :I

Puddingface xD
Giga podi!
I missed the reference.  :'(

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124960 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15:31 pm »

Midnight potato salad!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124961 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15:43 pm »

It's possible he was talking about the Puddi Puddi thing?  It's been ages since that's been a thing and it spiraled down into weirdville in the first place.  I could also be grasping at straws!

As a happy today, I got a new modem at my house, it's supposed to be a lot better than that hunk of junk I've had for forever, so huzzah!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #124962 on: March 24, 2014, 06:27:37 pm »

There's also the mouthwash incident.

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #124963 on: March 24, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »

Okay, that looks fun to read. xD

The first is only true if you shop at Emperor's New Clothing Store (TM).

No, no, I see what he's saying. It's a matter of intent; the sort of social lubrication/"white lying" that Frumple is talking about is pretty basic, but also isn't necessarily what people would think of as lying (even lying by omission). It's more of a system of self-censorship and mask-wearing, of not telling everyone exactly what you think of everything, and of not revealing everything about yourself to everyone you meet. It's pretty fundamental, yeah, because how long do you think we'd last either as individuals or as a society without that sort of "lying"?

And on the flip side, it's not really "capital-L idealized romantic love"-love that's fundamental to human nature, so much as that vague, underlying desire for human contact and affection. We're social animals, and it takes a hell of a lot of trauma to get a human to the point where they don't secretly long for contact with other people either consciously or unconsciously.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Pages: 1 ... 8329 8330 [8331] 8332 8333 ... 13325