Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7694 7695 [7696] 7697 7698 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15769196 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #115425 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48:40 am »

The reason I can't respect rap is that rap artists often don't write the lyrics and don't compose the beats. They just show up, speak into a microphone, and then get all the credit. Not only that, but the things they write and sing/speak about often aren't even poetic, the words don't rhyme, they don't flow, etc., and they're usually not even good at singing and must rely on things like autotunes when they do try to sing.

The end result is that they are absolutely talentless except for maybe being able to speak fast. There's no creativity. There's no originality. Maybe they kinda started out that way, but now it's just a manufacturing process for talentless hacks to generate an income and people still eat up the songs and defend the 'artists' because they like the beats which were not even made by the 'artists'.

However, I respect some rappers and do listen to some of the rap that out's there because they specifically break away from this mold. When they rap, it has excellent flow, it may rhyme or it may not but it's damn poetic, they wrote it, they might have worked on the beats, if they sing then they can sing to some degree, etc. They are actually artists, and they are few and incredibly far between.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #115426 on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:10 am »

The reason I can't respect rap is that rap artists often don't write the lyrics and don't compose the beats. They just show up, speak into a microphone, and then get all the credit. Not only that, but the things they write and sing/speak about often aren't even poetic, the words don't rhyme, they don't flow, etc., and they're usually not even good at singing and must rely on things like autotunes when they do try to sing.

The end result is that they are absolutely talentless except for maybe being able to speak fast. There's no creativity. There's no originality. Maybe they kinda started out that way, but now it's just a manufacturing process for talentless hacks to generate an income and people still eat up the songs and defend the 'artists' because they like the beats which were not even made by the 'artists'.

However, I respect some rappers and do listen to some of the rap that out's there because they specifically break away from this mold. When they rap, it has excellent flow, it may rhyme or it may not but it's damn poetic, they wrote it, they might have worked on the beats, if they sing then they can sing to some degree, etc. They are actually artists, and they are few and incredibly far between.

Are you saying that people like rap for the beats? You know, those repetitive rhytmic sections very often ripped off a different song?

Mind. Blown.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115427 on: October 31, 2013, 12:25:27 pm »

Evidently I'm partially blind, musically.

I fail to understand in any way how people enjoy rap, myself.

Writing and performing the stuff does take some skill, and some people focus on vocals and lyrics so it's appealing to them.
A friend of mine (who doesn't listen to any rap, btw) once summed this up quite nicely: Rap is, at its core, not a musical but a poetic art form.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115428 on: October 31, 2013, 12:30:35 pm »

One guy's response to this prank call. It's hilarious and mildly terrifying. Watch up to at least the 1:30 mark.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115429 on: October 31, 2013, 12:34:43 pm »

One guy's response to this prank call. It's hilarious and mildly terrifying. Watch up to at least the 1:30 mark.

...is this guy countering a soundboard with a soundboard i am not even sure

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115430 on: October 31, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »

I fail to understand in any way how people enjoy rap, myself.

Astronautilus
MC Frontalot
Professor Elemental

Eh? Eh?

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #115431 on: October 31, 2013, 12:41:46 pm »

Are you saying that people like rap for the beats? You know, those repetitive rhytmic sections very often ripped off a different song?

Mind. Blown.

Yup, but I'm also saying that fans go "BUT THE SONG HAS A GOOD BEAT!" as a way to defend the artist when it has shitty everything else.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #115432 on: October 31, 2013, 12:57:40 pm »

The end result is that they are absolutely talentless... There's no creativity. There's no originality. Maybe they kinda started out that way, but now it's just a manufacturing process for talentless hacks to generate an income and people still eat up the songs and defend the 'artists' because they like the beats which were not even made by the 'artists'.

Isn't that like....90% of popular music? A good chunk of the "mainstream" has pretty much always been hollow and manufactured, ever since the invention of vinyl. We just have the means for producing more of it, so you get more music, so the ratio of crap remains unchanged but the volume has increased. Like most other genres, there is good non-manufactured rap but you typically have to go to the more obscure and underground to find it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115433 on: October 31, 2013, 01:02:19 pm »

...is this guy countering a soundboard with a soundboard i am not even sure
I don't recognise the voice, but that doesn't really mean anything.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #115434 on: October 31, 2013, 01:12:05 pm »

I don't like most rap to be honest, and what I do enjoy is usually not what you would call pure rap but more mixing of certain genres with rap which somehow makes it appealing for me (I'm wierd like that I think, in that I especially enjoy genre fusions, sometimes more than the original genres themselves).

Case in point. (not exactly sfw)

Also figured out what's wrong with the tablet. As I suspected it's the cable, two of the interior wires snapped and only had contact sporadically. To make things even better a friend has a solder and we'll be able to fix it this Sunday.

Not sure what's making me happier, figuring out a problem and being able to fix it myself or the fact I'll have my tablet up and running by the time I head back for uni :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #115435 on: October 31, 2013, 01:15:18 pm »

The end result is that they are absolutely talentless... There's no creativity. There's no originality. Maybe they kinda started out that way, but now it's just a manufacturing process for talentless hacks to generate an income and people still eat up the songs and defend the 'artists' because they like the beats which were not even made by the 'artists'.

Isn't that like....90% of popular music? A good chunk of the "mainstream" has pretty much always been hollow and manufactured, ever since the invention of vinyl. We just have the means for producing more of it, so you get more music, so the ratio of crap remains unchanged but the volume has increased. Like most other genres, there is good non-manufactured rap but you typically have to go to the more obscure and underground to find it.

Yup, but whereas in other genres it tends to be more limited to just pop and poppy versions of stuff. The other genres have it, but rap is as rife with it as standard pop is. I would argue that, say, rock will tend to have less manufactured content than rap will. Reggae will have less manufactured content than rap. Goodness, and it almost pains me to say this, but Country has less manufactured content than rap despite the recent major effort to turn Country into Southern Pop. It's certainly not a problem limited to Rap, but it is a problem more common within Rap than most other genres.

Happy stuff: Pretty sure I just decided on a title and summary for a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Nasuverse fanfic that I'm currently planning. Pretty satisfied with the whole thing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115436 on: October 31, 2013, 01:47:58 pm »

Remember Sturgeon's Law.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115437 on: October 31, 2013, 01:53:25 pm »

For the most part, I don't like rap because there's very little technical skill involved. Sample a beat, write some very simple lyrics about a flat subject, autotune, and you're done. Yeah, there are some decent examples out there (there was a german rap about emotions and the night that comes to mind,) but the floor and ceiling are so much lower than most other types of music, due to a lack of technical proficiency, that it amplifies Sturgeon's Law so much that it should read, "95% of everything is utter and complete dogshit, and the rest is mediocre," when applied to rap.

There's just so much better music out there that there's no point in wasting the time listening to the mediocre stuff.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #115438 on: October 31, 2013, 02:46:39 pm »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #115439 on: October 31, 2013, 03:05:00 pm »

For the most part, I don't like rap because there's very little technical skill involved. Sample a beat, write some very simple lyrics about a flat subject, autotune, and you're done.

try that shit

it's hard
Pages: 1 ... 7694 7695 [7696] 7697 7698 ... 13325