Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4575 4576 [4577] 4578 4579 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15777261 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #68640 on: January 03, 2012, 04:16:25 pm »

For example, a conspiracy-laden cartoon where hillbillies yell at each other while buying and selling unexploded WWI ordnance. We'll call it "Hey Clem, Check This Shit Out!"
It already exists.  It's called Squidbillies.  And it is the festering asshole of human creation.
I actually kinda like Squidbillies.  :-\
Squidbillies can be entertaining if you don't mind shows that are terribly vulgar and discriminatory against the South.

Then again, a lot of people I know in the South like Squidbillies, and only some of them because they hate the South. The others? They worry me.
Yeppers. Just like I love the old Bugs Bunny cartoon with the two hillbillies and the square dance routine, even as I recognize that it's godawful stereotypical (although admittedly, they're in the Ozarks not the Appalachians). I always figure you can't take an identity (ethnic/religious/regional/etc) seriously if you can't laugh about it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68641 on: January 03, 2012, 04:26:47 pm »

Just like I love the old Bugs Bunny cartoon with the two hillbillies and the square dance routine, even as I recognize that it's godawful stereotypical (although admittedly, they're in the Ozarks not the Appalachians).

Whatever cool points I may have marked off from you for liking Squidbillies you just earned back in spades for that example.  See how hard this comedy stuff is?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68642 on: January 03, 2012, 04:27:16 pm »

Hey, the current Shadow Chancellor here apparently cries when watching Antiques Roadshow.  From the sheer emotion involved in selling some random old thing in your house for some two figure sum.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #68643 on: January 03, 2012, 04:30:10 pm »

I'm going to ask very nicely that the topic change here since it's starting to involve people talking about what's good and what's not, but TV shows are pretty subjective and these kinds of discussions go nowhere good.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68644 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:12 pm »

Just like I love the old Bugs Bunny cartoon with the two hillbillies and the square dance routine, even as I recognize that it's godawful stereotypical (although admittedly, they're in the Ozarks not the Appalachians).

Whatever cool points I may have marked off from you for liking Squidbillies you just earned back in spades for that example.  See how hard this comedy stuff is?
Everything's better with classic animation. Particularly the unedited versions, in all their violent, misogynistic and racially insensitive glory. I was recently showing my daughter some wartime Donald Duck cartoons and shit got awkward in a hurry. The basic plot was that Donald was going AWOL during boot camp. The instructor flung the box he was hiding in through some razor wire, and due to comic misunderstanding, they both thought he had been cut in half. Cue Donald taking a revolver so he can blow his own brains out, and the drill sergeant sobbing for him to do it in the bushes so he doesn't have to watch. Now picture me trying to explain that to a barely 5-year old without freaking her the fuck out.

Pseudo-EDIT: And how, thanks to the magic of the Intertubes, you can experience that same WTF moment yourself! (Impressionable 5-year old not included.)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68645 on: January 03, 2012, 04:41:54 pm »

(although admittedly, they're in the Ozarks not the Appalachians)

Haha, that's where part of my family is from, but my main experience with square dancing is as a mandatory component of PE in my west-coast, super-liberal middle school.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68646 on: January 03, 2012, 04:44:43 pm »

My wife is constantly flabbergasted that my elementary school had compulsory square dancing lessons.

City folk.  ::)  :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68647 on: January 03, 2012, 04:51:51 pm »

I actually got to provide some live fiddling while one of the teachers called, once.  Pretty damn swell.

On the other hand, I also got to do a live kendo demonstration for the "ancient Japan" segment of 7th or 8th grade.  Boy, those were the days...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #68648 on: January 03, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »

My wife is constantly flabbergasted that my elementary school had compulsory square dancing lessons.

City folk.  ::)  :P
I remember in my elementary school we had a god dammed dancing unit in gym right before the school dance.

This confused the shit out of me back then because kids don't dance at dances anymore.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #68649 on: January 03, 2012, 04:56:53 pm »

We had square dancing in my elementary school in Omaha. No idea why, maybe they thought we were all gonna move to Ogallala and be farm hands.

Has anyone actually ever been to a legit square dance? I went to a bar that had line dancing once, but that was to modern country music.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68650 on: January 03, 2012, 04:58:46 pm »

I actually got to provide some live fiddling while one of the teachers called, once.  Pretty damn swell.

On the other hand, I also got to do a live kendo demonstration for the "ancient Japan" segment of 7th or 8th grade.  Boy, those were the days...
I didn't know you could fiddle.

Vector's Awesomeness Quotient has increased by +10!

@fqllve: I have. As well as Scottish country dancing. We don't ken to "Nashville" country where I'm from. It's strictly bluegrass, old-time music and/or Appalachian folk.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68651 on: January 03, 2012, 05:00:08 pm »

We had square dancing in my elementary school in Omaha. No idea why, maybe they thought we were all gonna move to Ogallala and be farm hands.

Has anyone actually ever been to a legit square dance? I went to a bar that had line dancing once, but that was to modern country music.
I had Jazzercise at my elementary school. That was kinda odd, especially once we moved and it seemed like there was no such program in the new town.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #68652 on: January 03, 2012, 05:05:18 pm »

@fqllve: I have. As well as Scottish country dancing. We don't ken to "Nashville" country where I'm from. It's strictly bluegrass, old-time music and/or Appalachian folk.
Hey now! Say what you will about anybody else, Chet Atkins was the man. :)

Hmm. Maybe I should take another trip up to the Blue Ridge. Last time I was there a man saw me with my guitar and asked if I wanted to join in on a "lil' pickin.'" I was nervous, especially since it was a spanish guitar, but maybe if I'd said yes I'd have gotten to see some square dancing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:12:11 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68653 on: January 03, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

Yeah, traditional, bluegrass, Irish, and a little blues, Klezmer and Cajun.  Both improv/ear and paper-trained.  I've also done classical, and was being taught how to sing both lead and harmony for the traditional stuff when I finally quit.  Played around some on street corners and at the local elementary school's "harvest festival" (they had a little farm in the back).

I also built an Appalachian dulcimer in shop class, plus the second-strongest/most unexpectedly explosive wooden bridge (no signs of cracking or strain, and then an entire side blew straight off into the audience at 270 lbs).

It's kind of weird because my family used to have what sounds like a Tennessee accent, saying things like "warsh" instead of "wash" and "often" instead of often, plus all the minor vowel bends and accent shifts from "standard" English (to be specific: a lower class Tennessee accent, because my roommate the first year of college was from there and had a much, much lighter accent than we used to), but the minute one of them went off to college in a fancy town, he brought back an entire different accent with him and taught the bulk of it to everyone else.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #68654 on: January 03, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »

<3 Appalachian folk.

Ever heard of Mason Brown? Amazingly, few people have, and I can't figure out why. His albums are cheap on Amazon, his music (esp. the collaboration with Chipper Thompson) is absolutely amazing and, uh it's amazing.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 4575 4576 [4577] 4578 4579 ... 13325