Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2681 2682 [2683] 2684 2685 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776873 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: [:3] Things that made you HAPPY today thread. Pick flowers or die~♥
« Reply #40230 on: February 22, 2011, 07:19:27 pm »

This is really surprising to me, considering the entire sum of his character is "A scientific genius with the emotional depth of a paper plate.  Everybody hates him but he's too self-absorbed and dense to realize it, so it's ok."  I can't understand what's positive about this.  And with the level of cluelessness out there regarding autism (I've had to educate a lot of people), I expect such a high profile media portrayal to have a large effect on common preconceptions.

I don't get why you'd adopt him as a portrayal of autism. He only misunderstands social norms when the writers want to make a joke. Seems to make perfectly good eye contact to me. Speaks as if he obviously wishes to be heard. He's just a self-obsessed prick. A narcissist.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40231 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:36 pm »

I don't even know show this Sheldon character is from.  I get the feeling I should.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #40232 on: February 22, 2011, 07:23:26 pm »

Apparently there's this nerd-themed sitcom called The Big Bang Theory. Apparently it has a character named Sheldon in it, who exhibits autism-ish traits that are then mocked by the other characters. Apparently that's somehow supposed to be funny.
Hey I make fun of autistic people and I'm autistic. Just like I make fun of black people around my black friend.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40233 on: February 22, 2011, 07:25:44 pm »

Just like I make fun of black people around my black friend.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40234 on: February 22, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »

Hey, I only have two friends, c'mon.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #40235 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:11 pm »

Hey I make fun of autistic people and I'm autistic. Just like I make fun of black people around my black friend.

My friends and I generally make fun of each other in a variety of ways but amongst friends is different from national television.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40236 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:32 pm »

I've been depressed for a bit now, usually it goes away but at least I'm biding my time instead of dwelling on it I guess.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40237 on: February 22, 2011, 07:42:16 pm »

And you alienate one of them by being racist around them.

Sorry, but 'I have a black friend', is not as good an excuse as people would think.
You want to diss on them, Get black.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40238 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »

And you alienate one of them by being racist around them.

Sorry, but 'I have a black friend', is not as good an excuse as people would think.
You want to diss on them, Get black.
Hey he laughs and agrees with me.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40239 on: February 22, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »

well i've got some wierd neck-headache flu that's been killing me for a few days, but i just got extremely powerful pain killers.   Now I'm sooooo happy.
Nom nom nom

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40240 on: February 22, 2011, 07:59:49 pm »

I'm more thinking it would be hilarious if someone turned themselves black, just so they could be racist. Or, Not be racist.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40241 on: February 22, 2011, 08:04:03 pm »

I'm more thinking it would be hilarious if someone turned themselves black, just so they could be racist. Or, Not be racist.
Here is your sarcasm, Mr. Tack.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40242 on: February 22, 2011, 08:11:19 pm »

This is really surprising to me, considering the entire sum of his character is "A scientific genius with the emotional depth of a paper plate.  Everybody hates him but he's too self-absorbed and dense to realize it, so it's ok."  I can't understand what's positive about this.  And with the level of cluelessness out there regarding autism (I've had to educate a lot of people), I expect such a high profile media portrayal to have a large effect on common preconceptions.

Because at least it's better than "all autistic people are totally worthless drains to society who need to be cured of their traits."  This is the common perception, as far as I can tell.  At the very least, most people don't know anything about the "spectrum" and seem to be heavily into the "well, you have it or you don't" territory, where "have it" is "low-functioning never-learned-to-speak autism" and anything in between is just lack of trying, poor mothering (see "refrigerator mother" theory, which my mother used to believe in) and social callousness on the part of the sufferer.

It is, at the very least, a semi-human face on a collection of symptoms which is usually ignored.

I don't get why you'd adopt him as a portrayal of autism. He only misunderstands social norms when the writers want to make a joke. Seems to make perfectly good eye contact to me. Speaks as if he obviously wishes to be heard. He's just a self-obsessed prick. A narcissist.

And take a look at the shows/books where people are intentionally portraying autism.  The Mysterious Case of the Dog in the Night Time, Mozart and the Whale, Born on a Blue Day, and so on.  The autistic folks I've spoken to about these things were downright offended by their lack of depth and "dishonesty," despite the last having been written by an autistic person.

Weird social behaviors?  Check.  Sensory stuff?  Check.  Obsessive information-gathering?  Check.  Doesn't seem to care much about other people's opinions or feelings?  Check.

Now, let's pretend that you have a lot of trouble with socializing, and you see the above behaviors.  You may not think "self-absorbed prick," because you can't figure out his motivations.  But there is a motivation that makes sense to you, because that is your motivation--the motivation called "he has no idea what he's doing or why it's inappropriate, just like me, and just like me, everyone makes fun of him."

Of course, these same people also attempted to appropriate Doctor Gregory House, so your mileage may vary wildly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40243 on: February 22, 2011, 08:12:50 pm »

I'm glad i can analyze much more than just logic.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40244 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:19 pm »

Now, let's pretend that you have a lot of trouble with socializing, and you see the above behaviors.  You may not think "self-absorbed prick," because you can't figure out his motivations.  But there is a motivation that makes sense to you, because that is your motivation--the motivation called "he has no idea what he's doing or why it's inappropriate, just like me, and just like me, everyone makes fun of him."

So, some autistic people don't like portrayals of autism written by autistic people, but some have "adopted" a relatively friendly caricature of an autistic person as a good mascot.  The big key to autism being a lack of ability to understand others' motivations...  Hence arguing about the portrayal and motivations of ostensibly autistic characters...  I'm not entire sure where the pivot point is or who's "wrong", but the irony is thick enough to cut with a knife.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 2681 2682 [2683] 2684 2685 ... 13325