Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379251 times)

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4320 on: August 22, 2013, 12:36:28 pm »

why the perfect circular head? i think it looks pretty cool but it stands out quite a bit.
also no pelvis or hip bone, or shoulder blades. and the arms and legs could look more like bones.

anyway, keep it up!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: August 22, 2013, 02:01:27 pm »

[spoiler=Attempt 2]

I've no idea what this is supposed to represent, so maybe it's some alien or something with a strange skeletal structure. I don't know.

But if it's of this earth, then there's a certain skeletal template that animals conform to - when you get as specific as four legged animals, then it gets even more similar. For starters, you've attached those thigh bones straight to the spine. Not only does that look wrong, there isn't really anything out there that has uneven legs. Nor do most land-bound animals have wire-bones like the ones you drew.

Look up the skeletal structure of an animal similar to what you want to draw. Not just to copy off of, but just to have as a reference. If you don't, your work will end up looking clumsy and child-like; not just because of "realism" or "anatomy" or what people tout, but because the concept is flawed/incomplete/incoherent/incohesive.

If you want to get serious about art, you won't progress by drawing things from your head that you think are cool if you're only just starting - that generally ends badly, because people's ideas of things are very vague and expansive. Draw from life until your idea of, say, people improves (and is not just a variation on a stickman).

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: August 22, 2013, 06:43:01 pm »

Spoiler: Attempt 2 (click to show/hide)

Thanks! Alright, made a quick one to test it out, and I think it looks pretty good. So, any comments or improvements to be made?
WHERE IS PELVIS
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: August 25, 2013, 10:47:13 am »

also scapulas. and humeruses and femurs don't have ulnas and fibulas, only the tibias and the radiuses.

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: August 26, 2013, 05:54:07 am »

^whaaaaaaat.......?

anyways, new sketch. potmaker

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: August 31, 2013, 01:03:07 pm »

Playing around with a borrowed Bamboo Tablet, and trying to learn GIMP.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fun with solid black shapes + the Blur Tool.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:15:18 pm by Solifuge »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: September 07, 2013, 02:24:41 pm »

I'm trying to get the surface of a planet for the background of a map I'm working on. The surface in question is molten, surrounded by a cloud of steam. The clouds are giving me trouble. There does need to be hazy layers of them, but because this is world-sized, I need a layer or two of clouds to look like weather. Storm clouds, in particular, are what I'm looking for. What I have so far. I can't get any to look properly dense or fluffy - all I can manage are these hazy things. Any tips for getting well-defined cloud systems?

I also need to add in convection cells and stuff, but that's a different thing.

Also, here's a bunch of tutorials for anyone interested in maps.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:19:01 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: September 07, 2013, 02:55:56 pm »

Honestly, for the sake of clarity, you probably want to go with just a dense blanket of clouds. Peeking through to the magma below is making it look thin and wispy... much less dense than it seems would keep landmasses aloft. If this is for the project I think it is.

Spoiler: Some handy references (click to show/hide)

Notice how the light and dark areas work. They're not a haze, but actual nodular masses of white, with milky grey edges around dense, shadowed areas, and they break up into little isolated motes and puffs which fade into hazy transparency around the edges. Note that the clouds would probably transmit some red light around the edges (instead of the silvery-blue we see in clouds overhead), if the core below stays perpetually molten. So that might create the feeling without making the clouds look thin.

Also, if you're going for semi-realism, the steam cushion would probably be very dense and compressed between the mantle and continents above... and it would also wisp up around the edges of the continents, driving serious convective forces, and cooling into rain. You'd basically have walls of steam and wind between continents, and violent storms, up until you reached a certain altitude (where normal clouds would radiate out from).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:01:54 pm by Solifuge »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: September 07, 2013, 07:21:31 pm »

You're spot on with the nature of the project. I'll add additional cloud density and some actual dark areas. It's fine if most to all of the lava is occluded, really. It was fun to make, either way. Any tips on how to make the nodularity happen? If not, I'll continue to mess around, and may wind up just using references as textures. Where'd you get that first reference from, by the way? I've been having a really hard time finding photos from that steep an angle.

And yes, wisps around the continents are something I hope to make happen. I'll see how I can make that happen when I get there. Steam walls will be interesting to try and make happen - I'm not sure how I'd make it clear from above what you're looking at. All part of the fun, I suppose.

I've just remembered I have found a planet-making tutorial as well.

Thanks for the response!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:21:52 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: September 09, 2013, 01:04:00 am »

You can't do proper lighting and edge-defining (a must for clouds where there are a huge variety of shapes and towering masses but only a handful of shades of white and light grey) without a light source. Place a light source on your map and work from that. You can make that the sun and orient it however you want; it doesn't have to be visible. Just a point somewhere off to the side or something to keep in mind while drawing should work.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: September 09, 2013, 01:34:54 am »

That is a damn fine point. I'd started getting the shapes and opacity looking decent, so now that I mostly need textures I had better do that.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: September 24, 2013, 05:04:40 am »

so, i was asked to do an illustration for a children music school's recital, and decided to try my hand at vector art. i got this

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: September 26, 2013, 05:32:39 am »

and also this

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: September 26, 2013, 06:13:41 am »

Those look really nifty and professional, Askot!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: September 28, 2013, 05:26:05 am »

Those look really nifty and professional, Askot!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 296