Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379249 times)

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4305 on: August 12, 2013, 04:02:49 pm »

Spoiler: "Spehssmans!" (click to show/hide)

Looking at the website it looks like a huge hassle to set up. I don't know what to download for the source or where to do the script thingy or anything. It's like wizardry or something.

I'll probably look at the site more in-depth later, but the current lack of an easy download for a program that's instantly ready to go right out of downloading and installing is a bit of a turn-off.

It used to be a bit of a hassle to set up, but my installation was painless (Both on Vista and Win8).

Shouldn't be any scripts thingies to fiddle with though. Did you scroll down to the second 2.7 header on the downloads page? The first header only has the source and some compile instructions.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: August 12, 2013, 04:16:57 pm »

how use tablet with Krita?

doesn't seem to be any options under settings regarding adding inputs and the invokation thing doesnt seem to have anything relevant either, only for mouse/keyboard stuff.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: August 12, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »

I just hooked my Graphire up and it worked.  :-\

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: August 12, 2013, 07:21:51 pm »

hm, well my bamboo is finicky at best: with sketchbook pro, it was always locking up and not registering strokes, with GIMP I have to re-add the directx controllers on every windows session, and now with this it doesn't even work.

Disappointing.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:56 am »

I drew.
One sitting.
3.5 hours.
Attached is reference.
Poor quality.
Proud regardless.
Shoulder on fire.
Pills don't work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Criticism appreciated, although I think I realized most of the things I did wrong.
Tips, Tricks, appreciated.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: August 13, 2013, 02:55:43 am »

I really don't like saying it, but it's been helping me very slowly, so draw from life. Draw people from life. You don't seem to understand the first thing about Human shapes, proportions, perspective... sorry.

And no, "it's Homestuck style" isn't an escape valve. Homestuck is better-drawn than that on its worse days.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:57:31 am by freeformschooler »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: August 13, 2013, 06:53:57 am »

I really don't like saying it, but it's been helping me very slowly, so draw from life. Draw people from life. You don't seem to understand the first thing about Human shapes, proportions, perspective... sorry.

And no, "it's Homestuck style" isn't an escape valve. Homestuck is better-drawn than that on its worse days.
It's solid advice and oft repeated.

If you look at the reference picture, the shape of the jaw, the proportions of the face in terms of height of eyes / mouth, forehead height etc. The slope of the shoulders, and the way it fits in to the tie, where the neck hits the body ...

It LOOKS like anyone can draw it, but I would guess the artist has spent many many (and more) hours drawing 'real' things in order to achieve something so apparently abstract that looks so good.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: August 13, 2013, 07:24:48 am »

In the reference picture, the head and neck are not connected properly.   The neck is aligned with the chin, rather than the base of the skull.  If you don't see it, google "neck spine".  This sort of thing is quite common.  It's one of the reasons that life drawing get's so much emphasis.  Even if you don't do life drawing, you should at least do studies from life to train your understanding of form and volume.  Stylization requires it's own training, too. 

If you want to imitate a style, you will have to study it in addition to life studies. 

Don't think of errors as failure, because there will always be errors, no matter how good the work is.  Learning to spot and correct those errors, or avoid them will end up being a source of motivation instead of frustration.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:13 am »

Yeah, I just decided to go directly off the reference picture. I realized the neck was very wrong, but I did it anyway, otherwise it would have been very hard for me to finish the picture. I often look to myself when drawing actual anatomy, and despite my fucked up shoulders, I am still able to learn a lot about how the muscles connect to the rest of the body and such.

I recognize that I should draw from life, however the idea to draw struck me, and I decided I would draw a picture for my friend, and thus drew that. It was more of a practice of the idea of drawing, than the practice of drawing.

I am not looking to become an amazing artist, I merely draw for fun. Come September 1st, I will probably drop the activity all together as I won't have any access to a tablet.

However, I appreciate your criticism, and on my next piece, I'll be sure to make it much more human/realworld-like, rather than another picture for a friend.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: August 15, 2013, 02:16:47 am »

steampunk robot golem

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: August 15, 2013, 08:55:48 am »

I've drawn a still life thingy.

It's good, and I like how you're selling the transparency of the bottle, but the other things need work or are sloppy.

For example, the tin of whatevers has this really strange reflection in the middle of it that I don't really know what to make of. Is it even a reflection? That stripey thing. If it is, it could do with some smoothing out.

The shadow that the tin makes is super harsh and would only really be seen in life if you had cast a spotlight on it - you need to lighten the shade of the shadow and blur its borders according to the real shadow. Even if it looks that harsh to you, unless you intend it to look like a noir movie I suggest dampening many of the contrasts. I did that mistake a lot in my past, and it makes drawings hard to look at.

That blackish background is sloppy. Is that the table edge there, or did you just decide to drag your pencil out there? If it is a table edge, it'd have been nicer if a few of the objects in the background showed through, or if you showed a bit of how the wall looked like. It doesn't even have to be detailed - just blur it out like a camera focus would. Point is, the ragged edges make this look like you gave up halfway through and don't contribute to the success of the still life.

You left the table blank, but you could've applied some texture or at least given us a rough idea of the shade - unless that table really is uniform and blinding white. It's not really a good idea to leave large portions of the canvas blank.

No shadow on eraser. No ambient occlusion (video game term, I know, but it's my best term for that subtle darkening around contact points between two objects).

What's that thing on top of the lid? A peanut?

Eraser is sloppy. Unless it's a new eraser, you could have told us a little more about its eraseriness and its character by rounding off the edges and illustrating some of its dents, marks and whatnot. Maybe you don't need to go that far - but right now, it's just an oblong shape that's hard to identify.

You should also work a little more on getting that shading evened out. You could try using a lighter touch or smoother paper, or one of the multitude of tricks available - paper tissue, tortillon, light use of kneaded eraser, etc. A still life's subject won't run away or go to the bathroom, so you have plenty of time to do it or leave and come back.

Oh, and by the way, is that cough syrup?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:49 am »

To chime in, the perspective seems to be different for all three items, it's not much but it's enough to feel off.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: August 22, 2013, 02:04:27 am »

Hey guys. This was the first digital drawing/pixel art that I've made. (Not counting Paint doodles) I made it on Paint.NET in 160X120 and resized it, but it came out like this. I'm not really good at digital art; I mostly draw or paint on paper. So, can anyone tell me how to resize the image without anti-aliasing, please?

This might not be the thread for asking, so sorry if it's the wrong thread, but I'm hoping to be better at digital painting in the future.

[PS. I did this with a mouse until I save up for a graphics tablet.  :P Double PS. If you're wondering, it's a lich.]
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: August 22, 2013, 04:06:59 am »

In Paint.NET, when you have a go at resizing there is a drop down box that should say 'Nearest Neighbour':

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: August 22, 2013, 04:30:51 am »

Spoiler: Attempt 2 (click to show/hide)

Thanks! Alright, made a quick one to test it out, and I think it looks pretty good. So, any comments or improvements to be made?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 296