Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379228 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4350 on: January 26, 2014, 04:20:25 pm »

Doublepost, because i actually figured out a nice river!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... I also decided to sign up on Cartographer's Guild, this is actually quite fun!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: February 02, 2014, 01:09:43 pm »

The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of the dwarf Ast Postsubmerged by the giant wolverine Rumoredcolors in Vesselscoured in the midwinter of 251.

Dwarf Fortress fan art. I love this game. In my current fort multiple giant wolverines have caused the fort much pain, killing 6 of the dwarfs. After a year the fort has made a comeback and we're 90 dwarfs strong!

Just obtained my first graphic's tablet, so I'm still working on getting comfortable with it and getting the program to do what I want.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: February 02, 2014, 11:42:47 pm »

A huge monster with an enormous tail, covered with thick fur. They run on four legs and can be found deep under the earth.

A shoutout to a YouTuber with a great fortress going in a Let's Play. The fortress titled Fortress Beast Battle (for it's pursuit of kiling Forgotten Beasts), has slowly obtained a collection of Rutherers that is now producing Tamed offspring for the fort.

Link to their vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfQ9a31zRuQ

Noticed my shading is gone! Will have to make sure that doesn't happen in the future.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: February 03, 2014, 06:17:38 pm »

What software are you using?

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: February 03, 2014, 07:48:29 pm »

What software are you using?

Was fart'n around w/ Artweaver. Now I'm trying out SAI so we'll see.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: February 03, 2014, 09:25:09 pm »

Well very nice, I recommend SAI OR GIMP, if you're interested!

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: February 12, 2014, 11:33:17 am »

So, a long time has passed, and I've been working on different projects...

Spoiler: A small character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Landscape (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scene (click to show/hide)

Feedback is gratefully appreciated. I'm taking a hiatus from my barbarians, but hopefully I'll return to them pretty soon.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: February 12, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »

I'll give a little feedback for your latter two images, if you don't mind:

I'm tempted to say you need some deeper shadows to convey depth in your landscape, but artistically, what you have is very appealing stylistically already.

As far as "scene" goes, I'm not the best figure artist  so I can't say too much there, but it DOES need some more color. Especially on those monitors and screens!

Both are really cool though! Nice job!

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: February 13, 2014, 11:37:09 am »

Made this to practice shadows, came out decently except for that perspective error with the wall in the left :|

If anyone can give critique on the painting and well on the perspective I would deeply appreciate it.

BeruangSarkis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art Tumblr
« Reply #4359 on: February 13, 2014, 01:04:06 pm »

Made this to practice shadows, came out decently except for that perspective error with the wall in the left :|

If anyone can give critique on the painting and well on the perspective I would deeply appreciate it.

I'm far from an expert, but it looks pretty good. Nice work on easing in the shadows. The shadows at the corners need to be slightly darker. The banner's shadow and right wall's shadow borders are pretty sharp though, try to soften them out like you did for the one on the left. Right window's light cone also needs to be bigger to match its brother. Do you flip your paintings horizontally from time to time? It'll help you spot errors and inconsistencies much easier.

I like how you put a simple highlight on the banner; makes it look like light is actually passing though fabric.

Personally, when I do perspective shots (which I rarely do) I like placing something of familiar size to put the shot into perspective; like a person, a table, a chair or even just a simple plant. It doesn't need to be detailed, just enough to give a general sense of scale to the room.

I like what you did though. Keep it up.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: February 13, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

Pretty much what he said. Though I'd add that shadows are sharper the closer they are to what's casting them. So it should be a very nice clean division at the base of the windows and it would gradually blur as it got further away. Light also slightly bends so the shadow cast by the banner woud taper slowly up to a certain point (the severity of the taper would depend on the distance and strenght of the lightsource). Also consider the strenght of the light that's casting the shadow as that influences the hardness of the shadow itself, softer light means softer shadows.
Also also, bounced light, now, it's not as apparent in your piece here because the light isn't that strong, but bounced light goes a great way towards making space feel like it has volume and adds great atmosphere to the place.

In any case, a damn good practice, keep on working it!

And just so my post isn't pictureless, here's something greatly inspired by this beautiful piece. I got lazy towards the end and didn't do much detailing so it might seem empty, but I'm rather pleased with the mountain after trying out a new approach to doing those.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: February 13, 2014, 06:06:46 pm »

Thanks guys! Its funny how I totally forgot to flip it... I almost always remember to do that, almost always, but yeah the shadows on the left are way smoother than the ones at the right and I totally forgot about shadow sharpness, well I'll take them into account next time. I still need to practice light and reflections though so I guess I will get back to drawing shiny spheres before actually trying to get them into more complex things.

On other news the mountain looks way cool Jopax, as do the tree tops, especially those who are farther away.

And I also did this, its supposed to be some sort of Bronze/Jade trinket

I think its a little too shiny to be bronze and too red to be gold, brass perhaps?

Well at least it looks like metal thats what matters I guess.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: February 15, 2014, 06:18:15 pm »

Not sure what you mean by "the wall in the left", but this is what I think is wrong with the perspective:

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: February 16, 2014, 10:21:31 am »

Haha wow, yeah.

Thats one stupid mistake.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:47 pm »

Might as well post this here. Something I did up in a couple of minutes here. Shading ain't the best, but this is the first time I used white & black on 'grain merge' to shade rather than trying to find shady versions of red and black and toenail yellow.

What do you guys think?
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 296