Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377717 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3975 on: October 10, 2012, 05:35:30 am »

I'm curious: how did you draw hair in this picture?

I put my pencil on the paper and moved my hand around.

More seriously: There's no set technique, and the tricks I use with my pencils are probably unhelpful to you. Study real hair, and pay attention to specularity.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:07 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:44:12 pm by Ogdibus »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:36 am »

Google "contour line" and "line weight", if you aren't familiar with them.

The above two concepts would belong more in the world of anime drawing and manga than they do in more classical styles of art. Call me prejudiced, but there you go.

Speaking of contours, making studies with map-style contours is a great way to learn to perceive form and shapes. As an example (courtesy of Google):

Now, this is a pretty basic (and not very well done) example, but it should provide enough of an example; try it out. Personally, I never had the discipline or patience - I suppose that's another thing I need to work on.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »

Google "contour line" and "line weight", if you aren't familiar with them.

The above two concepts would belong more in the world of anime drawing and manga than they do in more classical styles of art.

I'd definitely say they're the kind of universal concepts you're going to be ramming straight into when you examine anything that involves lines. For instance, here (Warning: 5.9MB) (Warning: Full frontal nudity) is a ink drawing by the legendary mangaka and renaissance man, Leonardo da Vinci. See how some of the lines are thicker than others, and some taper off into nothingness until they're implied instead of actually existing on paper? You really can't escape it.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 11, 2012, 02:22:32 am »

^Truth.

They're based on concepts that you need for representational art in general. Line weight deals with conveying the volumes of a subject without the benefit of a range of values, like you would have in a photorealistic charcoal drawing or a painting. It's just been translated for a medium where your input is essentially binary: it's there or it's not, with little or no room for grays.

I try not to get annoyed when people try to sort out hierarchies between different media or styles in art, but... well, I do. :q
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:27:33 am by strongrudder »
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 11, 2012, 02:32:52 am »

^Truth.

Things like line weight are based on universal concepts that you need for representational art in general, but used in cases where you only have binary input, such as ink drawings. Line weight in particular deals with conveying the volumes of a subject without the benefit of a range of values, like you would have in a photorealistic charcoal drawing or a painting. The contour lines are simply outlining the edges in a way that makes it feel like it exists in 3D space.

I try not to get annoyed when people try to sort out hierarchies between different media or styles in art, but... well, I do. :q

I suppose that's a fair point when it comes to line weight, but as you have also mentioned, my initial point was that line weight is a concept more readily applied to inking and manga drawing or whatever than it is as an answer to Guardian GI's question (which addresses another medium with more leeway in terms of tone and value).

Contour lines are not necessary to make something look "3D". I'd pull some examples, but they're easy enough to find if you study certain painters (there were a few at CA, but I forget the names).

Never said anything about hierarchies (or the implied inferiority, for that matter).

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 11, 2012, 02:48:55 am »

And I said nothing about contour lines being needed to convey three-dimensionality for every art ever. Just linear (or contrasty) ones, where the slightest mishandling of that outline can take your drawing from amazing to flat with ease.

Your use of the word "prejudice" and its context is probably what set me off, tbh. What exactly is meant by "classical" art? Paintings? Full-value graphite drawings? An amorphous blob of what is popularly considered "fine art"? Soadrqm provided a "classical" ink drawing, which indeed shows use of contour lines (a given) and some nicely done line weight. If you mean "this does not apply to the medium I was using," then just say that. c:
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 11, 2012, 03:31:10 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:45:16 pm by Ogdibus »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 11, 2012, 04:01:58 am »

This discussion is moving into the very dangerous "What the hell is fine art" territory.
Be careful, guys.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 16, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »

Just two little "speed paintings" I scribbled up using nothing but a flat brush set to a single size while I was bored.

Each one took 5-10 minutes.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:27 pm »

possibly the worst thing ever done to a 40ies magazine. i'm not really interested in criticism, constructive or otherwise, at least till tomorrow night
http://imgur.com/a/RxS9B#5 (caution, gayness!)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 16, 2012, 08:37:29 pm »

possibly the worst thing ever done to a 40ies magazine. i'm not really interested in criticism, constructive or otherwise, at least till tomorrow night
All of my wat.

Also, I have no god damn clue what I'm doing but I think I just got better at shading.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 16, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »

All of my wat.
This literally shorted out my brain for a few minutes.

...Is that...hair coming out of his nostrils? It's incredibly silky.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 16, 2012, 11:34:24 pm »

More playing around with brush settings.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 17, 2012, 01:22:00 am »

Ha! I seriously love all of that.

Would love some of those framed on the wall.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 296