Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377889 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3615 on: February 12, 2012, 10:44:53 am »

I'll be posting a sketchdump soon as I finish what I have and scan them - I don't normally submit these, but with a lack of actual pieces I might as well.
I'm eagerly waiting to see it.
Also, I'm curious, you live in the US, right? So how much the life drawing classes cost there? (I'm not talking about enrolling in an average 150k$ art school)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: February 12, 2012, 11:06:29 am »

Also, I'm curious, you live in the US, right? So how much the life drawing classes cost there? (I'm not talking about enrolling in an average 150k$ art school)

No, I live in Sweden. It's that little penis-shaped spit of land at the top of a continent called Europe - you've probably never heard about it.

A kroki class in Sweden about 8km away costs 50kr. I have no idea what it'd be over there, sorry.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: February 12, 2012, 11:25:04 am »

No, I live in Sweden. It's that little penis-shaped spit of land at the top of a continent called Europe - you've probably never heard about it.

A kroki class in Sweden about 8km away costs 50kr. I have no idea what it'd be over there, sorry.
Hey, I know about the existence of Sweden. It's the birthplace of ABBA and The Pirate Bay, after all.
By the way, have you have ever heard of a small polygon-shaped blot of irradiated wastelands somewhere in the eastern part of Europe (which most people even in the EU, not mentioning the Uttermost West, tend to confuse with other parts of Russian, Polish or Ukrainian wastelands) called Belarus? I live there, and we don't have any private life drawing classes, only painting courses for little kids, "children art schools" for little kids, and some universities (or colleges, whatever they are called) in the capital city of Minsk teaching fine art for those people who have graduated from art schools for little kids (all of these things are state-run, and still quite expensive, except for the painting courses for little kids).
50 kronas for a single art class is about 7$ — I've thought it would be more expensive...

To stay on topic, I'm going to upload my latest self-portrait thing here later.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:51:00 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: February 12, 2012, 01:43:39 pm »

Hey, I know about the existence of Sweden. It's the birthplace of ABBA and The Pirate Bay, after all.
By the way, have you have ever heard of a small polygon-shaped blot of irradiated wastelands somewhere in the eastern part of Europe (which most people even in the EU, not mentioning the Uttermost West, tend to confuse with other parts of Russian, Polish or Ukrainian wastelands) called Belarus?
No.  :P (Just kidding I know belarus)
Thanks for those books guys, I'll buy them as soon as possible.
Have you ever heard of huge piece of land covered in a thick rain forest and full of old cars and where the closest thing to a city are shanky towns calles brazil? No good art courses here too. : (
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: February 12, 2012, 02:16:26 pm »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: February 12, 2012, 02:31:54 pm »

By the way, have you have ever heard of a small polygon-shaped blot of irradiated wastelands somewhere in the eastern part of Europe (which most people even in the EU, not mentioning the Uttermost West, tend to confuse with other parts of Russian, Polish or Ukrainian wastelands) called Belarus?
No.  :P (Just kidding I know belarus)
Thanks for those books guys, I'll buy them as soon as possible.
Have you ever heard of huge piece of land covered in a thick rain forest and full of old cars and where the closest thing to a city are shanky towns calles brazil? No good art courses here too. : (
That wall of text was directed at Mr. lordnincompoop, not you. :)
Anyway, it's interesting to hear about the lack of art courses in Brazil. I didn't know that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:37:09 pm by Guardian G.I. »
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: February 12, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »

That wall of text was directed at Mr. lordnincompoop, not you. :)

Now, no need to get butthurt, GI. :p

I practiced sketching things, mostly faces for a while. I've been reading tutorials about the facial proportions and the distance between the eyes, nose, lips and such. I did my best to avoid symbols and studied the matter of shadow and lighting. I hope there's been an improvement.

Any opinions, corrections and advice before I venture on would be most welcome.
Also I wish this cold weather would finally come to an end. We've been snowed in for weeks here and the government declared a state of emergency. When it gets over and schools start working again, I'll try to scan some more stuff.

Issues:

1. No chin
2. Distracting asymmetry (look at the eyes)
3. No lower eyelid
4. No cheekbone
5. No cheeks
6. Vestigial nasolabial fold
7. Overall "flat" look - too much attention has been placed on the lips, not enough elsewhere
8. Incomplete portrait

As for the incompleteness, the main problem is that there is no forehead. I also personally tend to dislike portraits that don't have the "bare minimum" of the entire head and part of the shoulder region (bottom approx mid way through the deltoid muscle), as that often results in too narrow a focus to do good.

By the way, texts dealing with "idea facial proportions" usually tend to be bollocks.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: February 12, 2012, 03:43:48 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:57:39 am by Ogdibus »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: February 12, 2012, 03:51:29 pm »

First off: Chill it. Thank you.

unintentional non sequitur

Ooh. Where?

Criticizing a work in progress for being incomplete isn't helpful.  You're supposed to take into account the intent of the artist when giving a critique, but given the recent posts, it looks like you missed them, in a rush to give feedback before Muffindog gets burried by a wave of other work.  I think a late, but careful critique would be more helpful than one that is full of unintentional non sequitur.  The parts about the asymmetry, nasolabial fold, and lips sound right to me though.  I would add that using a finer brush for the eyelashes, and detailing is going to be necessary.  Using completely uniform brush strokes with the round brush draws attention to the brush strokes, and often, away from the idea that is trying to be portrayed and/or conveyed.

On a more positive note, I've been going through the thread backwards, and this is a great improvement over the earlier brushwork.

I'm repeating this becaus I see a lot of people doing it recently: Criticizing a work in progress for being incomplete isn't helpful.  Duh, of course it's incomplete, it's a work in progress.  Most of the time it should be obvious, but just in case it helps to mention the level of completeness and purpose of the image is.

Perhaps you misunderstand: I'm mentioning the incompleteness because I'm telling him to finish the image and not to ignore the forehead and the rest of it - not taking into account the other components is exactly I think he made those mistakes. It hasn't been labelled WIP, by the way.

Also, wolf-copters.  Do they have anything to do with AirWolf?

Not familiar with them.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: February 12, 2012, 04:55:49 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:58:26 am by Ogdibus »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3625 on: February 12, 2012, 06:35:39 pm »

D: My tiny post got ignored by everyone except one! (In fact, I couldn't find it first time around).

I notice the image is too big for its own good... the resolution is horrible!

Compared to other sketches, a totally non-skillful, boring line drawing of a ship.
I like it though.

Hopefully this will make it better!

Also: My local library alliance doesn't have Drawing Book, and the texture one is on hold.

Is Sketchbook for the Artis also helpful?(same author Simblet as Drawing Book)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:18:28 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:15 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:58:40 am by Ogdibus »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3627 on: February 12, 2012, 08:13:22 pm »

Thing is it's actually an iPod picture - meaning that the resolution is as bad as it can get ;P

Is it OK (in your opinion) if only draw side-on, not from other angles? o_O
That's the hardest thing for me :P Side-on (and flat) is pretty easy.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:58:56 am by Ogdibus »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3629 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »

Hmm.. Shadows... my eternal enemy >.> I guess I'll have to crack out my actual pencil for that.

Making shadows on a mostly white thing is pretty hard for me :(

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 296