Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377885 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3600 on: February 10, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »

Hmm... can you give me an example of exactly what you mean there?

And if the original line was wrong, what are you supposed to do if not redraw it?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: February 10, 2012, 01:47:28 pm »

Erase, then redraw.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:16 pm »

Erase, then redraw.

Indeed. This is much better than leaving traces of all the previous lines. Sorry if I was unclear here - I was referring to the redrawn line effect rather than actually redrawing lines.

For example: in the last picture, every line is visibly made up of multiple thinner lines. Avoid that if possible. Be patient with line erasure.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:52:09 pm by freeformschooler »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: February 10, 2012, 01:56:47 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:56:44 am by Ogdibus »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: February 10, 2012, 01:59:25 pm »

It's a guy, it's a NOOB and he's not in women's underpants, in fancy panties. But fancy panties are for EVERYONE.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: February 10, 2012, 02:02:57 pm »

On line erasure - I've never found a picture to get better by turning into a mess of smudge. And that's what every attempt I've ever made at anything other than the rare erasure has accomplished. Mind you - I think what you mean is I need to work more on getting single, long strokes rather than repeated strokes in basically the right direction.

Is the sketchwork displaying under the images a problem? I sort of like that, stylistically - but I can sort of see what you mean with the repeated lines looking bad, for example, along his left sleeve. Is that what the sort of thing you mean, or both?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: February 10, 2012, 02:22:22 pm »

Is the sketchwork displaying under the images a problem? I sort of like that, stylistically - but I can sort of see what you mean with the repeated lines looking bad, for example, along his left sleeve. Is that what the sort of thing you mean, or both?

Ideally you'd have a good eraser and be able to get rid of the sketchwork, but sometimes that's doesn't apply to traditional media. It's more jarring in digital stuff like that last one, where the lines seem to flow off his jacket and everything else and they could be easily erased. Same with the third picture.

I do know where you're coming from, like I said, because I used to do it and enjoyed that style for a while. But once you start doing well-defined lines that have a clear shape/form you'll notice a difference in the quality of the final picture. For this reason the linework in the first picture looks MUCH better. I understand exactly what I'm looking at there, as everything has a proper shape.

I can't give good advice on many things, but this is one of the things I have experience with.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: February 10, 2012, 03:16:53 pm »

I justed wanted to say that I love that picture.
Taste my Paci-Fist

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: February 10, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »

Thanks a lot! ^_^

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: February 11, 2012, 02:43:00 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:57:08 am by Ogdibus »

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3610 on: February 11, 2012, 10:13:43 pm »

I practiced sketching things, mostly faces for a while. I've been reading tutorials about the facial proportions and the distance between the eyes, nose, lips and such. I did my best to avoid symbols and studied the matter of shadow and lighting. I hope there's been an improvement.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any opinions, corrections and advice before I venture on would be most welcome.
Also I wish this cold weather would finally come to an end. We've been snowed in for weeks here and the government declared a state of emergency. When it gets over and schools start working again, I'll try to scan some more stuff.

Another one I'd like to share with you. Nothing supposed to help me develop my skills, but it has an emotional value for me. It's a gift for a very dear friend with whom I used to play Canabalt together.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3611 on: February 12, 2012, 12:06:08 am »

Compared to other sketches, a totally non-skillful, boring line drawing of a ship.
I like it though.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:21 am »

Compared to other sketches, a totally non-skillful, boring line drawing of a ship.
I like it though.
I like it, it isn't that bad. :P
Guys I have a huge trouble with drawing  textures (Pencil drawing) specially with metal and wood, I couldn't find any good books or guides (Only those "learn to drawn in five seconds" guides.) can you recomend a good book or guide?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:51 am »

Guys I have a huge trouble with drawing  textures (Pencil drawing) specially with metal and wood, I couldn't find any good books or guides (Only those "learn to drawn in five seconds" guides.) can you recomend a good book or guide?
"Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil" by J. D. Hillberry. Amazon link is here: http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Realistic-Textures-Pencil-Hillberry/dp/0891348689.
It's not a "learn to draw in 5 seconds" guide, and it is packed with useful information about realistic pencil drawing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:38:30 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: February 12, 2012, 10:26:26 am »

If we're suggesting drawing books here, The Drawing Book is just amazing and breathtaking - each page is golden, and it's miles away in every respect from any other drawing book I've seen in my life; if you will only ever read one book on drawing and inking in your life, make it this one.

If you're looking for academic authority, the author holds a Doctor of the Arts degree from the Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art, Oxford University (!), where she also teaches students in the Arts.

The examples, landscapes and scenes from this book alone contributed to at least a quarter of my current skills - and that's a lot, given that I've only met this book a handful of times in 30m-1h sessions.

I'll be posting a sketchdump soon as I finish what I have and scan them - I don't normally submit these, but with a lack of actual pieces I might as well.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 296