Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377941 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3495 on: January 22, 2012, 05:50:47 pm »

The lack of gradation in shading looks really weird, especially around the knee area.  Also, the guy's body looks kind of like you just stuffed 3D shapes together, especially around his spherical belly... and the head is an odd shape, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: January 22, 2012, 07:57:04 pm »

Well he is wearing a helmet, but his belly piece does look rather distorted now that you point it out.

The shadows are the worst now that I look at it, that and the rather funky atmospheric perspective I did, makes it feel unnatural, now I feel bad for posting such a half assed piece.

Ok, adding another point to my one piece each day resolution thing, no lazily done stuff.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:11 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:28:43 am by Ogdibus »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: January 22, 2012, 08:42:21 pm »

Well it was supposed to be a magical palm light or something that he's holding in his hand.

But what gives you the impression if it trailing behind the hand if you don't mind me asking?
AS - IG

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 22, 2012, 09:32:25 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:31:10 am by Ogdibus »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3500 on: January 22, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »

Not directly related, but I found this art tutorial a great reference for things like shading, coloring, focus, and creating lines. There's also pixel art stuff for those who are interested.

I might be posting some of the admittedly crappy stuff I've done since getting my hands on a drawing tablet.

[Edit]

I made a new avatar by tracing my old one. I'm not happy with the coloring on the clothes, but I'll fiddle around with it later.

Here's the first thing I threw together freehand (Without tracing anything):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's a cartoon I did for a school project. It was one of the first things I'd done in Photoshop.

Not anything perfect, but it was fun.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:51:11 pm by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 23, 2012, 03:17:35 am »

The lighting on the arm, and the extension of the light area toward the shoulder make it look like the hand is creating a plasma cloud, or something, so it looks like light is coming from the palm, but also from behind the arm.  It's not quite clear if that was intended, but the effect could be increased by making the "trailing" part less bright, and more transparent.  If it's not supposed to be there, you might consider doing the arm highlights over, and tightening up the flare a bit.

Also, do you know any good tricks for dealing with indecisiveness?  I'm trying to sketch, but I keep changing my mind, erasing stuff, and contemplating, instead of doing a bunch of sketching, and then reflecting on it.  I used to be able to deal with this by sketching in ink, but I was more relaxed about it back then.  Now, it makes me hesitant to even get any strokes down.  It probably doesn't help that I'm doing developlment sketches, so I have to sort of make it up as I go, too.

Well I aimed for it to be this very bright almost blinding light coming from his palm, might be that I just overdid it a bit.
And as far as sketching goes, don't fret about that, just get a big enough sketchbook and go with the flow so to speak, if your mind switches mid sketch to something entirely different then just go for that entirely different thing, plenty of time to go back and finish the first one when you feel like it.
Most importantly have fun while you do it because thats when you learn best ^^

@KoF

Don't have much time so I'll just say that you are doing good leaving tracing because it can take you only so far, and I suggest you go for some anatomy studies or just sketching people at random :)
AS - IG

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 23, 2012, 03:23:06 am »

Here's the first thing I threw together freehand (Without tracing anything):

Reminded me of something I drew, which I thought I would post for comparison.

Clearly mine is not perfect by any stretch, but for some reason I have a nagging desire to comment about goat legs, and yours look a little like a large pair of trousers  :). Don't be afraid to be a bit bolder on the angles and the shape of the legs. They don't make sense when compared to humans, it's just something that you need to get your head round. Also hooves.

I reckon any four-legged mammals hind leg would be a reasonable reference in a pinch (if you can't find a goat), to get the idea of what's going on.

(also general anatomy studies would help for the upper body - higher shoulders, wider rib-cage, thinner neck ... Loomis' reference books give some great help on bringing together a human body from the primitive shapes).

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 23, 2012, 03:29:45 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:31:33 am by Ogdibus »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3504 on: January 23, 2012, 03:37:08 am »

Yeah... I have to do a few more drawings while actually looking at something. It just feels so dang awkward doing it. ("What'cha doing?" "Drawing a half-naked dude." "...Oh.")

I figure I'll work on people, cats, lizards, and some hoofed animal for now. That way I'll have a good basis for drawing mythical creatures.

Any other suggestions, particularly sites with good case studies? (If 'case studies' is the right word.)

The major thing that stands out to me is the shoulder armor sticking up oddly. It looks like it's hovering above the cloak and not connected to the armor in any way. Otherwise looks good.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: January 23, 2012, 03:47:49 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:31:45 am by Ogdibus »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: January 23, 2012, 06:30:31 am »

x3 it's supposed to be part of the helmet.  Obviously I did something very wrong there.  Knowing what it was probably kept me from seeing the problem.  It was giving be a lot of trouble while I was working on it, so it's no suprise that it's not right.

Try adding another plate to it that eliminates the odd gap. It may have to be narrower to accommodate the ear.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: January 23, 2012, 12:16:44 pm »

My problem is that the shading between hand, arm, and mask aren't distinctive enough to see that they're different pieces.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: January 23, 2012, 12:21:25 pm »

My problem is that the shading between hand, arm, and mask aren't distinctive enough to see that they're different pieces.

Ah okay, yeah. This is valid for me, as well. I couldn't identify it as a mask without this prompt.

Personally, I think the sword looks great, it's got the right sense of 'weight' sitting in that hand, and belongs with the figure.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: January 23, 2012, 12:26:45 pm »

So, how does this thread work? i just post the images here, and get them reviewed? cuz' if that's so, here's some of my drawings:
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 296