Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377930 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3510 on: January 23, 2012, 01:08:42 pm »

So, how does this thread work? i just post the images here, and get them reviewed? cuz' if that's so, here's some of my drawings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm too inexperienced to give any serious advice, but anyway, reading and studying books by Andrew Loomis wouldn't hurt you.
Get them here (PDF): http://alexhays.com/loomis/

I gonna post some of my own stuff later on, because I feel a bit stuck.

EDIT: Life drawings. I've been doing that kind of things for about 4 months.
Besides the mangled anatomy and the pupils I've forgot to draw, there's something wrong with these sketches, but I can't nail it down.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:25:51 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »

Shading I think, the ones that look good are the ones you shaded, even slightly as it helps them pop a bit and doesn't make them look flat or like cutouts, but do keep working, I can tell you from personal expirience that the best practice I've had happened during boring classes (pretty much all of my schooling history) :D

Also, todays piece:

C&C welcome :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3512 on: January 23, 2012, 08:57:05 pm »

I'm too inexperienced to give any serious advice, but anyway, reading and studying books by Andrew Loomis wouldn't hurt you.
Get them here (PDF): http://alexhays.com/loomis/

I gonna post some of my own stuff later on, because I feel a bit stuck.

Besides the mangled anatomy and the pupils I've forgot to draw, there's something wrong with these sketches, but I can't nail it down.

They don't look bad as much as they look unfinished.

I think the uncertain and excessive lines make things look worse. Thick redrawn lines can be stylistic, but it looks like you redrew them in order to correct them rather than to stylize. There's also a great deal of "fly swat" going on, with a few exceptions. A couple of the joints and shoulders look disproportionate, too. Since they're all rough sketches it's not so important, so don't worry too much about rough drafts you made in class.

Try drawing without correction or retracing lines too much. To encourage more solid lines, play around with different pencils (Even mechanical pencils) and erasers. Once you've sketched something in class, turn around and redraw it in your free time, just larger and more detailed.

And for heaven's sake, give those people some pupils and irises. They look creepy. :P

Here's a quick reference in regards to making sketches more "swooshy" - Both outlines and skeleton lines. Note the stylistic differences between the pieces.

Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: January 23, 2012, 10:49:28 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:32:52 am by Ogdibus »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: January 28, 2012, 06:31:25 pm »

What is most distracting to me:

The posture is off. His feet (and by extension his legs) are far too forward to be supporting him correctly. Since he's leaning back against gravity, it gives the impression he's about to fall - yet he looks like he's standing. The conflict makes it hard for me to look at anything else.

Look at where his feet are, then where the torso is. The feet should be directly below the torso. This is difficult to detect and avoid the way you have constructed the figure with the perspective points, but the posturing problem is definitely there.

These are the most recent sketches. I've got a lot more of these scattered across my sketchbooks, back from 2011, but they are too painful for me to look at. They are too horrifying.
I draw these things during lessons at school.[/spoiler]

Good. Keep at it!

Make sure to look at the people more, if you aren't doing that already. That helps quite a bit.

What's wrong with them is that they're (IMO) too small, and it seems you're still drawing eyes and noses and mouths as discrete parts with imaginary outlines instead of an anonymous entire head. Try to draw and render heads as such.

They don't look bad as much as they look unfinished.

I think the uncertain and excessive lines make things look worse. Thick redrawn lines can be stylistic, but it looks like you redrew them in order to correct them rather than to stylize.

That's fine, especially in sketches - hell, I do that all the time.

The main objective with sketches shouldn't be sitting there going over a single line with an eraser until it looks just right. You'll be trying to capture the movement and the general shape of the subject first, and you won't be looking at the paper much. Once you've done that, you're allowed license to refine and add detail, but always keep looking at the figure as much as you can.

Most of the people I encounter trying to "do some art" with a figure or scene in front of them spend most of their effort and time staring into their sketchbook than looking at the figure, when it should be the other way around. Practising drawing without looking at the paper is good.

There's also a great deal of "fly swat" going on, with a few exceptions.

Nope.

That applies to full figures where the limbs are askew and flailed wildly - not here.

Try drawing without correction or retracing lines too much. To encourage more solid lines, play around with different pencils (Even mechanical pencils) and erasers.

Frankly I'd just go with a 4B crayon-type and a putty eraser when you need it.

In fact, I'd discourage outlines and solid likes like that, because they encourage the making of lines and outlines where they don't exist. A face has much fewer lines than you think and imagine - most of them are simply diffuse gradations in light.

Here's a quick reference in regards to making sketches more "swooshy" - Both outlines and skeleton lines. Note the stylistic differences between the pieces.

Again, that applies much more to final pieces - and comics with clear linework - than sketches.

So, how does this thread work? i just post the images here, and get them reviewed? cuz' if that's so, here's some of my drawings:

the product of me desperately wanting to draw a mafia mamber  :P

Welcome!

My suggestions:
  • Go back in the thread and look at what I wrote about symbols. Dispel them from your mind.
  • Draw more from life.
  • Look at (preferably scientific/biological) anatomy books and study them.

We have lots of Mafia members down in the FG&RP-Mafia subforum. Pay us a visit sometime!

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: January 28, 2012, 07:07:40 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:34:27 am by Ogdibus »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3516 on: January 29, 2012, 12:06:02 am »

Looks good. I can't tell if the helmet is supposed to come down or not, but otherwise the perspective is alright.

As for coloring, I think there needs to be more of the colors you already have - It would spread out the viewer's interest and give them something to look at. Right now the color draws the eyes to the center of the body, where the gold is. Throw in a bit more decorative gold on the metal bits, mostly around the head, and maybe just a touch around the hands and knees. Spread the red, too - Have some at the ends of the cloak and the hanging parts of the belt thing and you'll be good.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: January 29, 2012, 05:11:20 am »

Good. Keep at it!

Make sure to look at the people more, if you aren't doing that already. That helps quite a bit.

What's wrong with them is that they're (IMO) too small, and it seems you're still drawing eyes and noses and mouths as discrete parts with imaginary outlines instead of an anonymous entire head. Try to draw and render heads as such.
Thanks for the advice, but I don't understand, what do you mean by "an anonymous entire head"?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: January 29, 2012, 05:52:20 am »

Good. Keep at it!

Thanks for the advice, but I don't understand, what do you mean by "an anonymous entire head"?

Stop imagining it as a head with a face, eyes, nose, mouth and so forth.

Instead, pretend that it's a literally anonymous 3d object with nothing else to it but irregularities in shape and tone. Pretend that it's about as special and meaningful as, say, a wooden crate.

My hope with that is that it'll clear up some of your preconceptions about faces and shapes. I've tried this myself, and it worked for me.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:46 pm »

Working on a full set :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: January 30, 2012, 06:41:00 pm »

I've been practicing different art styles and am trying to get better.  Perhaps bay12 can help me (and by help me I mean rip me and my art apart in a savage yet refined piece of criticism).
Here's my latest work, simply a few cartoony dunes with a setting sun in the background that I made on blender.  I used the ANT landscape addon for the dunes and made a halo sphere over a sun lamp for the sun.  The sand has a couple of bump maps but you can't tell because I'm terrible at lighting -_-*

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: January 30, 2012, 07:50:15 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:34:38 am by Ogdibus »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: January 30, 2012, 08:45:13 pm »

I was thinking the sun was a little. . .boring. I'm going to try to make it a little more interesting (maybe get a texture on it that has orange in it?) and I'm going to try and add a little lens flare.
The space can easily be cropped in gimp, thanks for the input.
I'm not really sure how I would go about getting clouds in. . .I'm thinking I'll just do a metaball model and make a couple of clouds.
Thanks for the input!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: January 30, 2012, 10:35:03 pm »

Here are the dunes with a lens flare, some metaball clouds, and the bottom third cropped off. The sky color also had a little tweak from a pinkish red color to a more orangish color.  I also blurred the edges of the sun by softening the halo hardness value.
I'm also trying to think of something to put in that big space at the bottom since the solar flare draws the viewer toward the end, and it ends in the big space. I just have to figure out what to put there that's within my limits.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:21 pm »

Why is the sun in front of the clouds?

Also it could probably afford to be a brighter orange.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 296