Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Caravaneer  (Read 15470 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Caravaneer
« on: September 17, 2009, 05:21:10 am »

A little Flash game developed by some Russian dude, Caravaneer places you in a post-apocalyptic world, fraught with highwaymen and financial ruin.  Braving the dusty wilds are the caravaneers, leaders of large envoys carrying goods from one town to another in the sake of profit.

Quite an interesting title, Caravaneer can easily be summed up thusly:  Fallout Merchant.

The game starts you off just outside the town of Poca Cosa, where you have traveled in order to claim the inheritance given to you by some dead relative or another.  They died, of course, to those pesky bandits who roam the wilds.

Your inheritance includes a rifle, some bullets, a donkey, and $1000.  Not much, but you can turn it into quite a hefty amount in short order.

It's rather interesting trying to manage the necessary supplies for your wilderness town-hopping, making sure you've got enough water and fodder for you and your pack animals.  It's also interesting trying to determine what combinations of equipment you opt to purchase later on.  Do you go for pure cargo limit, purchasing numerous donkeys and cheap wagons, or do you go for the raw speed provided by a smaller (and much more expensive) number of horses?  Or would you rather take the economists route, boycotting wagons entirely in favor of a herd of very low-maintenance camels?

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2008/03/caravaneer.php

What's interesting about this is that, unlike several other trading simulators, you can indeed seriously bugger up the economy.  Don't go blindly following your standard trade route, keep an eye on the prices of your goods.  If you take a massive shipment of a particular good from one town to another, you will turn over a hefty profit but also tweak the levels of that good in both cities.  Thus, the good may end up being more expensive in the town you just bought it from, since (because of you), there's more of a surplus in the town you just provided than there is where the damn thing's actually made.

This, combined with random events, can cause wildly varying prices on the various goods.

I'll leave the rest of the game for you to figure out on your own.  However, I will provide a few items of advice:

Take a character with high agility and accuracy.  Physical build will be practically worthless to you, as melee weapons are pointless (hurr hurr).  Your first and only true friend will be the rifle you get when you start out, and you'll have to learn how to use it in very short order.  Agility is important because you will often be outnumbered, so being able to have your one guy do stuff as fast as three guys in one turn is imperative.

Check your remaining bullets whenever you come into town.  The last thing you want is to run out when you really need them.

When fighting the robber bands in the beginning, feel free to take all the junk they leave behind.  You'll need as much water as you can get (always more than you think you need!  Remember that), and the glass bottles they leave behind will give you easy storage early on.  Later, you'll want to switch over to more efficient methods.  Also, you can sell the knives and scimitars for some pocket change in the start, but merchants will quickly lose interest in such wares.

Buy vast amounts of water and fodder.  When you're just starting out, you'll only be feeding one or two people (if you hire a goon), plus your donkey.   Everybody needs to drink, but you will only eat food and the donkey will only eat fodder ("forage"), and boy does he ever eat a lot.   Pack animals will devour vast amounts of fodder, particularly the more expensive ones (horses, in particular, eat like horses).  You'll only need a very small amount of human food though.  Just keep an eye on how quickly stocks drop when you're out on the trail to figure out how much you'll need for various trips.

Shotguns.  At the first available opportunity, buy a double-barrel shotgun and a load of shells.   A shotty, wielded by a high-agility character, is absolutely devastating to enemy units.  Just get up close and personal with your victims and let 'er rip.  If you need to pump more than one or two shells into a full-health dude before he goes down, something is very, very wrong.

Pack some meds.  Seriously.

The robbers, at least in the little starter area, will quickly switch over from being a threat to being a simple annoyance.  Regardless of how many times you utterly annihilate their filthy little bands or how vastly more powerful your group is to theirs, they will still insist on trying to take your goods.   Two guys with fists and shirts versus two experienced killers, one with a shotgun and one with a rifle.  You figure out who wins.

I've been trying to switch over from donkeys to horse-drawn carts recently for the speed boost.  I just want to get from point A to point B while outrunning as many bandit groups as I can, simply because it's too much of an annoyance to fight every group along the way.

This, of course, means that every town I pass by will be fresh out of horses and will have absolutely no interest in taking all these donkey carts off my hands.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravaneer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 06:25:57 am »

shotguns? i must say i never tried them. i usually prefer rifles and, in later game, assault rifles and rocket launchers.
anyway, little suggestion: the revolver is very good as secondary weapon for short range combat. with a character with good agility you can shoot all the 6 bullets and reload, killing quickly usually. of course, shotgun would be better, but i am sure revolvers never hurt.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:37:20 am »

It is cool, but it feels a little grindy and micromanagy and does weird stuff to my mouse. I'll keep it in mind though, and I'll probably play it soonish.

i am sure revolvers never hurt.
This is a very bad argument for revolvers :P.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:38:56 am »

well, never hurt YOU. other people get wounded a lot.

really, an excellent secondary weapon. doesn't weigh too much and i would pick one over a sword anytime

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:00:59 am »

There was something about this game that really put me off. I think it was waaaay too easy... cant remember .. but I think that was it. Basically you do three runs of that mentioned route and youre rich enough for everything... or do I mix that up?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 07:17:03 am »

You never ran into a police squad that outnumbered you 3-to-1, all armed with assault rifles?

Because I did. Frequently.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 07:17:50 am »

3 runs of what route? if you mean the one you are told to follow at the beginning, i laught at what you say. with 3 runs you barely get started on trading, and before you can fully equip an army you moved enough goods to last for a month. beside, all the good things are in the area near the capitol. asnd there you have to watch for police, if you decide for the "good" storyline or, near the gold mines, organized and big robber bands,probably helped by government, new vehicles...

no, 3 runs on anything won't be enough to buy everything. enough to equip a small team yes, but i don't think you can buy everything of course, after you have big cars or many horses with carts, profits will go up quickly, but in the storyline you need several millions at some point, and that isn't easy... also because police is hunting you during that mission.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:05:42 am »

Bleh, made some pretty good money to start by doing the starting 3 towns a couple times. Upgraded to a horse + cart and hired a helper. Once the first three towns had pretty much been overtraded, I randomly wandered first to the center town, then to the two towns in the lower left.

Unfortuntely, it was at those towns that I discovered that not all towns carry food for animals (even if they sell animals in town...). So I'm stuck without forage. Ok. The town sells ATVs - I'll mechanize my squad! So I buy some ATVs for my group, a fuel barrel from the store and a load of crude from the market. What's that? Crude isn't fuel? You mean to tell me that you sell things that need gas but don't sell gas here?

So... my party ventured out into the wilderness, without horse or ATV, and since they were now moving slow as snails, were killed by the second or third 12-man bandit group that overtook them.

Not a bad game, but I would've liked a little more direction and an economy the makes sense (if a town sells animals, there really ought to be some food for those animals to eat for sale, even if it costs 10 or even 100x more than normal.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 03:39:25 pm »

A double-barreled shotgun can fire both barrels and reload in 8 AP.  That's 70+ damage at point blank right there, with that Russian chick I plucked out of Cagabel.

She currently has 14 AP, and the documentation said that she can eventually train to have 22.

Haven't tried revolvers though.  I'll give it a shot (hurr hurr), just for the heck of it.

EDIT:  Oh, and I don't know about the other guns, but shotguns deal damage in a line.  If you've got two blokes lined up behind one another, you'll nail both of 'em.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 04:37:14 pm »

Shotguns are ok, but you need to get close to use them, which sucks, plus ammo is a buck a shell most places. I just switched to the Berreta Storm, which uses nice cheap Luger shells, same as my pistol. That leaves room for a back up knife, and the ammo is really cheap.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 04:37:58 pm »

Sounds interesting. Is this a single-player game or multi-player?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 04:45:30 pm »

Single player.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 04:52:16 pm »

Not quite. There seems to be a death match mode, but not sure what that means.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:54:11 pm »

I'm both horrible and good at this, the irritating part is the police.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 05:08:02 pm »

that is the main reason because of which i switched to cars. so that i am as fast as police, and i don't get caught often
Pages: [1] 2 3 4