Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Caravaneer  (Read 15466 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Caravaneer
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 05:50:51 pm »

Anyone know a good place to actually sell Katanas? I've got a ton of them and none of the starting cities will buy them from me. I can sell a few at the Capital, but I get way more going there and back then I can sell.

IIRC I sold like 15 at Okaidi
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 02:50:32 pm »

Hmm....I seem to have run into a problem playing this game; I have tons of high-end guns like the m4, but no one will buy them. All of the towns I visit are 'not interested' in most of the items I try to sell to their shops, regardless of the quality of an item. The costs of repairing my ATVs and small metal carts, as well as supplies and wages for my mercenaries is irritatingly high at times, any advice for a good product to sell and where? I have 688kg of clothes and 984g of gold and am currently in Abu Kirdyk. Also, where is this 'robber base' I keep on hearing about?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 04:58:53 pm »

Somewhere near Okaidi, go to that place north of Poca Cosa and talk to the guy if you have the Desert Patrol storyline.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 05:09:11 pm »

I have no idea where to go to sell things. Places that produce things sell high, places that don't sell low, and no one wants to buy any of my weapons either.

I'm getting confused.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 05:12:09 pm »

Check the newspaper.
Caravaneer Cancels sell: Stock Crisis
Caravaneers goods have been struck down
Cravaneer has died of thirst

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »

For the past few months, its been "Town is out of forage." Constantly.

Edit: Also, it seems the rocket launcher can't hit straight on. I recommend grenades.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:28:24 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 10:03:33 am »

Oops. I think the Desert Patrol guy is dead, I accepted a job from the president to deliver a sniper there so....whoops.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2009, 05:05:19 pm »

grenades are good but you need good stats to use them well.
RPGs are the best if you can hit with them but they eat money and spite death to some rock 50 from the guy with a gun.
get every one a good gun rifles are best as most foes are crap shoots.
get as meny guys as you can to back you up (6+).
armor is good to have but not top of the list.
selling shoes around the city($40+ pre shoe)
meds are a good buy as some places pay lots and some citys make them
as thay sell by the gram and late in the game you can shift tons of them

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 05:14:25 pm »

The shoe sell rate made me think there was an Imelda Marcos in every major town.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:07 pm »

im really enjoying this game, but there are some quirks with the economy to get used to.  for example, if a town produces leather and shoes, doent buy all their leather or they will stop making shoes.  only buy their surplus so you can sell it to another town and enable two shoe supplies.

if one town is out of forage, that might be good.  it means their animal industry will die and they will pay higher prices for leather.

what to sell where is very relative, and the economy can change drastically from game to game depending on your movements and other caravans.  it is very easy to over saturate markets.  pay more attention to the import and export list on the economy screen, and less to the newspaper if you are looking for regular trade routes.

I do have some questions, if other people are experienced with the quests:

- what happens if you finish the government quest?  you just get your 50K or 100K and the game keeps going, you cant ever do the DP quests?  can you still find the bandits and fight them?  are there any other quest leads anywhere after this?

- can you still take the government job after starting the DP job?

- can you take the government job to make peace with the police (they no longer attack you once you've started it) and then start the DP job without fear of police harassment?

- can you clear your record after killing a caravan or killing police?

- if you make peace with the police by taking the government job, are there consequences for attacking caravans?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 12:44:11 am »

Sorry about the long post, I kept thinking of things I could add. Spoilered mostly to reduce length but I marked parts that reveal the storyline and other cool parts as heavy spoilers. Also I should say I enjoyed Caravaneer, the town production and supply and demand was well implemented and overall it's easily the best flash game I've ever seen and ranks next to only Pirates of the Western Sea for a trading game. (not that I'm a connoisseur of flash games but still, good game)

Tips Part 1 (spoilered only to save space)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WARNING: this spoiler is about the hardest part of the Desert Patrol quest and gives an easy solution to the hardest required fight I found in the game.

Tips Part 2 (spoilered only to save space)

Heavy spoilers for the end game of the desert patrol quest beyond this point.

Can anyone tell me if it's different on the online version?

Also, here are some screenshots that will help you, especially if you do the desert patrol quest.

First, the guy I won with. Notice the katanas I'd saved my whole game in the false hope the desert patrol would buy them and the rest of my 3000kg of weapon stockpile at some point since they claim to be undergunned by the evil Government the whole game.

Second, here some screenshots I took so I wouldn't have to navigate through the game five or ten times to read the
Feel free to save them if you choose the desert patrol quest. Also I'm not sure if the
is a European or U.S. version. The instruction manual implies it makes a difference as one is in km and the other in miles.

Victory:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:26:31 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 05:48:04 am »

I haven't played it, but this sounds similar to Oregon Trail, Apocalyptic style. And even if it's not, Apoc Trail needs to be made!

- Kayla

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:31 am »

I havent played through to any of the endings, but i suspect that you picked a dialogue option at some point that lead to this whole nuclear launch thing.  I read some other forum post about

I'm going to try to discover what combinations of things are possible by accepting the government quest and the desert patrol quest in different orders, to see if you can start the DP plot line and still maintain immunity from police patrols.

If youre the type of knucklehead that likes to improve your characters as much as possible before throwing them into real threats, its important to train them up.  There are two primary ways of doing this:

-to get more AP, you have to move more in combat.  The first time I started playing seriously, I had 3 guys all up to 20 AP just fighting robbers around the first 3 towns.  I'd have them runn as much as possible, leading enemies in circles.  or wait until those knife guys were too disabled to fight, and just spend a few turns running around.  APs slowly go up over time as you move.

-to get better marksmanship, shoot things.  I'd give my guys secondary weapons so they'd all have a rifle and pistol.  the pistols would all use salvaged bullets from robbers, and i'd just have them shoot at long range with little chance of hitting, just so they'd have a chance to put more ammo downrange and improve their skills.

-strength seems to go up just by spending turns in combat while encumbered, or maybe just slowly on its own.  if youre wasting lots of turns with the nonsense above, your strength should slowly improve at the same time.

-M4 and M14 are both good, depending on if the character needs an accuracy boost, or needs to do more damage.  dont standardize on just one thing, but give each character what they need.  I hear the end game is all about grenades and rockets anyway, but in the early/mid game weapon choice does make a difference.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 12:47:27 pm »

I'm going to throw in the semi auto shotgun as a very good weapon as well. I think every town in the game sells shells, whereas ammo for the rifles is limited to the more advanced towns. Plus its cheap and has pretty much perfect accuracy, and can hit multiple targets at once. Obviously not a long range weapon, but a good secondary to an M4 for when guys get close.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 01:37:11 pm »

i wish this wasnt a flash game, it would be sweet to have some mod support for.  fully automatic shotguns and 40mm grenade launchers would be sweet.  while i'm dreaming, the ability for low-strength characters to fire machineguns from bipods or while mounted on vehicles would be awesome.  hip-fireing is great if you're jessie-the-body-ventura, but sort of sucks for most people.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4