Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: Scribblenauts  (Read 22291 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scribblenauts
« Reply #375 on: September 28, 2009, 11:09:59 am »

Or in a "Hell" setting, restrict the number of times you can use a noun for all puzzles. A jet pack is nice, as are pegasus, wings, Chinese dragon and such, but if you can only use them two times for the 100 puzzles, you will have to think hard on when and where you would use them.
My only problem with that is in the long run you could be punishing the player for not having done the run before. I really don't like Noobie traps.

Just allow the player to replay old missions... Track what items have been used AND IN WHAT MISSION.  Decide you need the wings later?  Go back and beat the level you used them on with a rocket launcher, or something

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 28, 2009, 09:17:13 pm »

Arsenic doesn't seem to kill for me. I think it's the same as the rat poison.
Nuckelavees look awesome.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 29, 2009, 08:58:20 am »

Apparently Bigfoot and Yeti are two separate creatures.

And the smaller Bigfoot wins. I wonder why they hate each other to begin with.

I just started playing a little while ago and I'm loving it, but I wish that there were some more options. Like, deer hunter spawned some commando with a knife for me.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 29, 2009, 09:17:21 am »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 29, 2009, 10:00:12 am »

I've noticed there's a couple of cases where things don't behave the same on different systems...  (I've tried George Washington a gazillion times, and he won't cut down the @#@$ tree, and now the arsenic v rat poison thing).  Is there any word on this?

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 29, 2009, 03:18:21 pm »

Anyone else use the neogaf? (I think that's how it's spelt)
It's a metal ball that hovers in the air, allowing for fast transport. My friend tried to use it underwater, with amusing results (it sunk to the bottom)
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 29, 2009, 04:28:24 pm »

I know, but why would you want to stop somone from doing that in a sandbox game?

It's a clever solution, nothing is gained or lost by 'cheating' like this except a little bit of "Tee hee i outhunked the game." Why would you want to arbitrarily ruin somone's fun like that?

Sandbox? No, I mean locking down the starlite required to win a level. Otherwise, where's the fun and challenge if you could do that on each and every level?

If you can answer "42" to every question in a quiz and they have to declare you're correct, can you still call that quiz?
They should have made the starite you can summon win levels for you. There are a lot of games that let you win a level just by typing something in but nobody does that over and over because you don't see the game like that.

You want to play the game and accomplish something, not just have it repeatedly say "you win." Anyone who's played a game with a "win level" code and used it learns this pretty quickly.

If you handcuff and vending machine every level because you can't beat it any other way you suck and after the waste of time you spent doing it you're probably aware that you suck.

-unless you're one of those idiots that plays games just to get a higher score than their friends/adversaries. Since this isn't and xbox or PC game they can't get achievement points added for that though so bleh.

Or in a "Hell" setting, restrict the number of times you can use a noun for all puzzles. A jet pack is nice, as are pegasus, wings, Chinese dragon and such, but if you can only use them two times for the 100 puzzles, you will have to think hard on when and where you would use them.

My only problem with that is in the long run you could be punishing the player for not having done the run before. I really don't like Noobie traps.
You could take away completion of the first puzzle the word was used on if it goes past the limit instead, or maybe even have the players choose which one to discard in order to use the word again.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 29, 2009, 05:16:46 pm »

I've noticed there's a couple of cases where things don't behave the same on different systems...  (I've tried George Washington a gazillion times, and he won't cut down the @#@$ tree, and now the arsenic v rat poison thing).  Is there any word on this?

George Washington never actually cut down a cherry tree...

Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 29, 2009, 06:06:55 pm »

George Washington never actually cut down a cherry tree

George Washington is pretty much 50-80% pure myth.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 29, 2009, 06:13:25 pm »

And 50-30% testical kicking badass.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 29, 2009, 06:15:15 pm »

And 50-30% testical kicking badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbRom1Rz8OA

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2009, 08:01:37 pm »

George Washington never actually cut down a cherry tree...

More to the point, there's some debate about whether it happens or not...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 29, 2009, 08:19:25 pm »

Just tested it, George does not chop down cherry trees. Rather, he eats the cherries.

Also, three other things:

Knights will drop their sword in exchange for Excalibur if you set it on the ground.

Ra does not fight or interact with anything, although he does scare Atheists.

Zeus and Death are equally powered, and one beating the other is purely chance. I just had Zeus and Death kill each other at the same moment, although Death was flung further from Zeus' killing blow.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 29, 2009, 09:06:33 pm »

I think the best fighter is Leviathan

If only because its range is much too far for any non-ranged creature in the game to even strike it.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 29, 2009, 09:29:31 pm »

I think the best fighter is Leviathan

If only because its range is much too far for any non-ranged creature in the game to even strike it.

Nope. T-rex just beat it.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30