Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30

Author Topic: Scribblenauts  (Read 22297 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scribblenauts
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2009, 06:27:21 am »

There's bound to be some powerful methods to beat most levels in such an open ended game, I guess.

They should make the real starlite immovable... not literally immovable, because you'd want to be able to knock it off the location with a cannon or something. Instead make it immovable by being connected and picked up.

Why?

Have you seen this post?

The method I proposed will block that method while still allowing the starlite to be pulled/knocked around as part of the puzzle, but not picked up by linking it to something.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2009, 06:44:06 am »

I know, but why would you want to stop somone from doing that in a sandbox game?

It's a clever solution, nothing is gained or lost by 'cheating' like this except a little bit of "Tee hee i outhunked the game." Why would you want to arbitrarily ruin somone's fun like that?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2009, 07:01:53 am »

I know, but why would you want to stop somone from doing that in a sandbox game?

It's a clever solution, nothing is gained or lost by 'cheating' like this except a little bit of "Tee hee i outhunked the game." Why would you want to arbitrarily ruin somone's fun like that?

Sandbox? No, I mean locking down the starlite required to win a level. Otherwise, where's the fun and challenge if you could do that on each and every level?

If you can answer "42" to every question in a quiz and they have to declare you're correct, can you still call that quiz?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2009, 07:18:11 am »

Yep, it's a very easy quiz, but still a quiz.

If this guy doesn't want to challenge himself, why force him to? If he was playing against others, certainly. But he's not, he's having fun and being clever, i see no reason to just ruin his fun like that. It seems both selfish and short sighted.

Plus this is a DS game, so it can't exactly be 'updated' so to speak.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2009, 07:20:26 am »

I think what Kc was getting at was that it was very mistake that the dev team made, which allows any level, regardless of difficulty, to be completely broken with just two items.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2009, 07:25:23 am »

So what? It's a sandbox.

Traps are overpowered in DF, so play without traps.
Vending machines and handcuffs are overpowered in Scribblenauts, so play without them.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2009, 08:11:13 am »

I think what Kc was getting at was that it was very mistake that the dev team made, which allows any level, regardless of difficulty, to be completely broken with just two items.

So what? It's a sandbox. The Starites are just there to give you something to do. This guy should get a kudo for being clever.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2009, 08:37:53 am »

So what? It's a sandbox. The Starites are just there to give you something to do. This guy should get a kudo for being clever.

You kind of missed my point... what I was trying to get at was: The dev team put forth the effort to put all these great and complex challenges in the game, and then forgot that all of them can be beaten with a single two-item combination.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2009, 08:40:42 am »

I don't think they forgot. Rather the reverse. No one is going to beat the game with only two items and then shelve it. They might beat it, yes, but that doesn't mean they won't go back through and do it properly. Most people are playing this to have fun, and they can't if they just beat the whole game with two items.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2009, 08:43:57 am »

You kind of missed my point... what I was trying to get at was: The dev team put forth the effort to put all these great and complex challenges in the game, and then forgot that all of them can be beaten with a single two-item combination.

Exactly, i generally give people rewards if they come up with simple and clever solutions to complex puzzles. I find games that deliberately restrict you to only solving the puzzle the way the developers want you to solve it to be incredibly arrogant and annoying, since it becomes a game of 'guess what the developer was thinking when he made this puzzle' as opposed to actually, you know, solving the puzzle.

This is a perfectly valid and clever solution to the puzzles. Why remove it?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2009, 12:07:39 pm »

And after all, doing it with the same items won't get you the highest score. And IIRC, there's a mode that disallows using an item more than once per game.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2009, 12:09:43 pm »

And after all, doing it with the same items won't get you the highest score. And IIRC, there's a mode that disallows using an item more than once per game.

Yeah but what sucks is you can only play that mode Once

I havn't found a way to redo challenge mode.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2009, 05:31:33 pm »

None of the objects "native" to a puzzle can be manipulated by the stylus.  Being able to stuff them into a container by first attaching handcuffs to them, and then moving the container around is an obvious oversight of the developers.  Anyone can see that this was not intended behavior.  If it was, you wouldn't be needing handcuffs to activate the 'Fill' menu.

He's not being clever by solving puzzles like that, he's being the annoying guy that goes "Ha-ha, the rulebook never says I can't bring my own extra monopoly money!" and then pretends he's using financial strategy.
Well, the guy's a bit clever for discovering the trick, but it's clearly not intended behavior for the objects in Scribblenauts.

I don't think the stylus should be able to move objects filled with "native" objects.  Maxwell should be able to, of course, he's the Scribblenaut after all.
Perhaps you shouldn't even be able to pick stuff up again after summoning it, except in sandbox mode.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2009, 06:39:48 pm »

Perhaps you shouldn't even be able to pick stuff up again after summoning it, except in sandbox mode.
That may be taking it a bit too far. surely I'm not the only one that tried to thread a rope through a tight corridor only to have it knot itself around.

0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2009, 07:02:18 pm »

???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:01:35 am by 0_0 OH MY SCIENCE 0_0 »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30