Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 59

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet RTD [Game Over]  (Read 79539 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD [Turn 50ish]
« Reply #615 on: December 30, 2009, 06:15:03 pm »

Changing action to: Curse my luck, the demon, and every single thing ever.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 30, 2009, 06:19:33 pm »

I still should be able to fight.  a 1 vs. 5 roll only puts the opponent into a significantly better position that you.  Not instant death.  That's with a 1 on the luck roll.  The death, I mean.

Except you're fighting a freaking demon. It eats armies for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner.

It eats dwarfs for desert.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 30, 2009, 10:39:52 pm »

BUT IT NEVER MET ME

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 30, 2009, 10:52:37 pm »

Fine, I'll give you an action.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 30, 2009, 10:56:25 pm »

ROLL FOR ACTION.  NO NEGATIVES ON A 1, NO EXTRA EFFECTS ON A 6.  Just <4, no action.  >3, action.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 30, 2009, 11:06:46 pm »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 30, 2009, 11:15:09 pm »

Also, some questions for everybody:

1) I'm considering starting up another RTD soon. I won't abandon this one(unless you guys don't want to play it anymore), but I would like to know what you liked/disliked about this one, so I can make the next one better.

2) Throughout this game, I found the 1D6 system rather restrictive. It made it hard to balance difficulty modifiers, skill bonuses, etc. How would everyone feel about moving to a higher system(#D6, D13, D20, etc.), and which would you prefer?

3) Adding in hidden rolls(I.E., only result is given for an action, not the roll), so players don't know if they rolled high or low. This would only come into effect on rolls were the result would not be completely obvious(Trying to find something that wasn't there, long-ranged kills, trying to bluff somebody, etc.)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 30, 2009, 11:22:28 pm »

It's an RTD.  The whole point is that it's terribly unbalanced.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 30, 2009, 11:47:35 pm »

I can't help but think that we're a bit out of our league here, trying to fight a demon.

Try to summon something INSIDE the demon. ...To make him explode from the pressure or somesuch nonsense.

To answer some of your questions; I liked how well thought out a lot of the systems seem to be. The setting and the like; the magic.

The 1D6 system is indeed quite difficult to work with if you're trying to craft a realistic or somewhat plausible story as ridiculous things happen quite often. It also makes skills ridiculously overpowering (+3 bonus means you only fail on a 1.); the players effectively become gods after ~100 turns or so. It depends on whether you're going for a 'hilarious antics' or 'realistic story with occasional ridiculosity'.

I think a 1D10 or 1D12 or something along those lines would be better. Though 2D(#) introduces an interesting curve; it increases the probability of the 'middle' rolls and decreases the probability of extremely high and extremely low outcomes. It'd certainly be an interesting experiment.

As for hidden rolls, I'd agree that they're a good idea (just make sure not to forget them...!); it would certainly make diplomacy more interesting.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 30, 2009, 11:50:05 pm »

2d4 would rock.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 31, 2009, 09:10:21 am »

I 2D4 is still only 2-8, which I think is is too low, while the 6D6 of RTDX is a bit too many dice to get extreme results more then once every few turns. Hidden results would be interesting. I agree with AN in that I liked the magic system of this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:53:31 am by Nirur Torir »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 31, 2009, 10:43:02 am »

Hmm... I don't really like the idea of a 2d6 system or 1d12... what about 2d8? Or is that too many?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 31, 2009, 12:37:45 pm »

2D8's good, and I agree hidden rolls, and keep the magic system, like you can try a spell you don't know but your gonna get a small negative modifier until you learn said spell.
Nom nom nom

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 31, 2009, 05:06:22 pm »

thanks gaia, bow to warden, and leave the temple, heading south-west towards the place where earth agic is being drained, use my earh powers to sense the disturbance and lead me to it.
2: You begin heading south-west, sending out lines to search for the place the magic is being drained. You can definitely tell something is wrong, but you can't figure out what... it seems that whatever source is draining this magic is doing an excellent job of hiding it.

Distract the creature from its meal with a rapier in the eye.
6+1-2=5: Noting that there is nothing to jump on to reach the demon's head, you begin to climb the demon itself. RTD 2: The demon is annoyed and attempts to shake you off, but is unsuccessful in it's attempt, and you plunge your rapier into it's left eye. It roars and drops Z. Chris, swatting at you with it's hands. You get to safety, but the rapier remains lodged in it's head.

+6 to Fencing

Balor

Eye: Missing
Head: Lightly Wounded

I can't help but think that we're a bit out of our league here, trying to fight a demon.

Try to summon something INSIDE the demon. ...To make him explode from the pressure or somesuch nonsense.
I actually intended for you guys to kill the old man before he summoned the demon... but you guys were to preoccupied with the shadows. Anyway:

6+3-2=6: You attempt to summon an object inside the balor, and despite the that you can neither see the location you're attempting to summon something to, nor the fact that the location is already occupied (by the balor), you manage to summon a greatsword inside of it. The sword pierces through it's body and does severe damage.

+4 to Summoning

Balor
Chest: Severely Wounded

The scales continue to spread across your body, covering your other arm and parts of your legs. The scales are rather tough, and while you feel they will protect you from damage, they might impede your movement as well.

You suddenly realize that you know more about planar space.

+2 to Summoning

Quote from: Z. Chris
Return to body
2: You suddenly experience a warm feeling... not hot, but pleasant... Hey... look, a light. You see flowers... and trees, and butterfl- WHAT THE HELL IS THIS PLACE! GET ME OUT GET ME OUT GET ME OOOOUUUUUTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Balor
Destroy Mortals!
6: How dare these... mortals interrupt your meal! You will make them pay! You will make them all pay! With a great sweep of your clawed hand, you strike at the two humans. RTD 3: One is caught by your swing and is impaled! His scales absorb some of the blow! RTD 6: The other leaps out of the way!

Lawrence

Chest: Moderately Wounded

Chest: Heavy Bleeding

----------------------------------
Di' Ako
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nirur Torir
Z. Chris
Lawrence Godred

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 31, 2009, 06:35:21 pm »

Same thing as always.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 59