Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171385 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1890 on: December 13, 2009, 11:57:52 pm »

That would be true, if they were all in one squad (which you can do, actually...). I suppose it can work, it's just damn hard to get it all set up right. :/

The daemon v tyranid game fought to a bloody standstill at turn 5. In the end, we both lost about half our forces, so it wound up a draw (less than 10% of the point size difference between us). But the next daemon army I field shall be better. >:D

Daemons are just fun as hell.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: December 14, 2009, 12:06:10 am »

If I have to add vox casters to the commander and another infantry squad ill either have to downgrade my vets or take away their grenades :( tough decisions...

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: December 14, 2009, 01:02:26 am »

Depending what you do with your company commander, you might be able to do away with issuing you platoon commander a vox. Your company commander can issue 2 order per turn, to any unit within 12".So if your Company Commander stays within 12" of 2 of your four units with still get the re-rolls, and the other 2 just hope they can hear the platoon commander shouting.

If you deep strike your Storm troopers and combine your two infantry squads, you could move the storm troopers vox box to the platoon commander on the theory that the storm troopers won't be getting close to your guys anyway.

In any case I'm currently trying to build a 500 pt army which relies entirely on massed laser fire.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: December 14, 2009, 01:50:57 am »

I can see i'm going to have to field an IG Infantry Army to prove some people here who seem to think that IG Infantry suck wrong.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: December 14, 2009, 11:44:07 am »

Anyone up for a 1500 point match?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: December 14, 2009, 11:50:57 am »

I'm dossing around in Vassak, so why not.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: December 14, 2009, 02:33:11 pm »

It's weird that the vox system doesn't extend range instead of giving a reroll... I thought the whole point of radio communication was to talk to people outside of shouting distance. :/
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: December 14, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »

If you deep strike your Storm troopers and combine your two infantry squads, you could move the storm troopers vox box to the platoon commander on the theory that the storm troopers won't be getting close to your guys anyway.
Storm Troopers can't get vox-casters, it seems, and in my most updated list (which I thought I posted...) that 5 points was used towards a second grenade launcher for my vets.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: December 14, 2009, 03:34:56 pm »

Ergh. Haven't been on for a while, our internets almost ran out (and after all that rationing, we still went over the cap).

I was testing a basic 500pt Tyranid Army against my Necron Army, and I learnt some interesting things about both (as well as refreshing my memory of all the CC rules). First off, no matter what you say, Necrons aren't that bad in CC. Against a dedicated CC unit, yeah they're screwed, but otherwise they can hold their own. Also, Hormagaunts suck.  :P

And I'm up for a game in an hour and a half or so - just got some stuff to do first.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: December 14, 2009, 03:39:09 pm »

Also, Hormagaunts suck.  :P

You don't say. Upgraded ones might be decent against low-armour infantry if enough of them get into range, but they're generally less effective than 'stealers, and far too fragile.

That said, upgraded gaunts in general seem to work fairly well - userpay's termagants (fleshborer, toxin sacs, extended carapace, possibly one of the adrenal gland upgrades) seem to do a good job of surviving even though they have to be deployed in small numbers, and they pack a punch.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: December 14, 2009, 06:24:20 pm »

The thing is that the upgraded hormagaunts I used, which are a dedicated melee unit, failed to even scratch Necron warriors, who are definitely not a dedicated CC unit, while still costing only 4 points less. In fact, even the Tyranid Warriors I fielded had difficulty hurting the Necrons in CC, although at range they mauled em.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: December 14, 2009, 06:29:56 pm »

Everything without rending is useless. It's a rule of 'nids.

I read some statistics recently which suggested that a second set of scything talons only improves chances of killing a marine or equivalent by a couple of percentage points - swap that upgrade for rending claws and suddenly you've got a ~20% increase of a kill. Also, necrons won't get their WBB roll against rending hits (due to the lack of a save).

Points for points, you won't get enough attacks out of warriors to justify using them over 'stealers in CC. The only advantage to using them is that you can give them leaping and then put them exactly 3" away from a friendly model in base contact to reduce the opponent's max attacks.

Also, I find it really weird that while necrons are I2 and move as a normal infantry unit, rubric marines are slow and purposeful but somehow I4 ... how does that work?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: December 14, 2009, 06:36:59 pm »

The fluff states that once in battle they seem to remember some of their old nature, and become more agile.
Shoes...

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: December 14, 2009, 06:43:59 pm »

Whereas Necrons are robots and have no initiative, so having entered close combat they just stand around for a while wondering what they're meant to do :P

Also, up for a game.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: December 14, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »

Aqizzar, I hadn't had the time to try it our beforehand, but the speedy army you gave me is working beautifully.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 199