Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171438 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1680 on: December 08, 2009, 08:30:41 pm »

What about if there was lots of terrain around - the opponent wouldn't be able to get too many troops into close combat at once, and the IG player could have their way with their ordnance guns, shooting at the models behind the frontline.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 08, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »

Any criticisms AT ALL would help, especially since I just threw the armies together based on the DOW:DC game and their point scores. :-X
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 08, 2009, 08:35:53 pm »

I'm up for a game right now.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 08, 2009, 08:40:59 pm »

I'm up for a game right now.

I suppose I may as well try this out then.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 08, 2009, 08:41:56 pm »

What about if there was lots of terrain around - the opponent wouldn't be able to get too many troops into close combat at once, and the IG player could have their way with their ordnance guns, shooting at the models behind the frontline.

Really, it depends on who you are fighting.

Tau, pray that all of the terrain features blocks los.
Chaos , pray they don't have noise marines. Or khorne beserkers
Orks, pray you get some hits with your ordnance before you hit them with the Penal sqauds.
SM, pray they didn't see your list and forgot the whirlwind.
Eldar, pray they're not an all skimmer army.
Necrons, pray, just pray. Maybe they'll fail all of the repair rolls after you shell them to death.
'Nids, pray they don't have double twin-linked devourers.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 08, 2009, 08:44:18 pm »

Necrons, pray, just pray. Maybe they'll fail all of the repair rolls after you shell them to death.

If, Scarabs with Disruption Fields eat tanks alive.

'Nids, pray they don't have double twin-linked devourers.

Or Gaunts of any kind :P

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 08, 2009, 08:53:34 pm »

Nids, pray they took hormagaunts.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 08, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »

Seems IG have to do a lot of praying. :D And unfortunately I've got a driving lesson shortly, so can't do anything for an hour or so. After that though, I'm free for a coupla hours, and I'm free all tomorrow. Hopefully I'll start picking up the rules reasonably quickly.

I THINK my army's are sorted out now. I got a 750pt that are a bit more balanced, anyway, and I got a thousand point army.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 08, 2009, 09:11:06 pm »

Okay, opinions please:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think the Lemans make the heavy weapon team a bit redudant, but I'm not keen on losing the extra kick they give. Maybe I should replace the Las with Autos?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 08, 2009, 09:41:53 pm »

Goddamn people, 70ish replies since the last time I opened this thread.  Is that really necessary?

As much as I love this experiment, I can't help but think it's tempting fate.

As an alternative, I've been planning how to use VASSAL to run games Games Workshop doesn't want money for, namely GorkaMorka.  Since those Rogue Trader games me and Cthulhu promised aren't going anywhere.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 08, 2009, 09:44:20 pm »

Or Blood Bowl. Converted a bit...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 08, 2009, 10:12:00 pm »

Wait wait wait. Is vassal illegal? If it is, I'm going to have to lock the thread and start a new one.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: December 08, 2009, 10:18:00 pm »

Technically, no.

According to GW, yes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 08, 2009, 10:18:52 pm »

Vassal itself is completely legal.  Playing Warhammer for free with it?  Yes, no, maybe so.  Bear in mind, this is Games Workshop I'm talking about, who used to be infamous for sending threatening but nonbinding cease-and-desist copyright letters to hosts of forums if people so much as posted a full statline.  That said, I don't think anything like that has happened in a long time.

Nonetheless, there's a reason everyone had to link to some obscure sites to download the 40k module, because GW (without any legal action mind you) told the creator to stop distributing it.  That it still exists, fully updated for the latest 5th edition codexes, should tell you how much that matters.

I wouldn't worry about it myself.  All the same, I want to try reappropriating Vassal for completely free Games Workshop titles like GorkaMorka and Necromunda.  Especially the former, because if there's one thing that could have improved The Road Warrior, it would be upgrading from drunken Australians to Orks.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1694 on: December 08, 2009, 10:21:26 pm »

I wanna try...

I played 40k the very first year it came out. All there was was marines and orks mostly. I have been playing Fantasy Battles before that, and the RPG before that.

I dont know how to play 40k, but I want to try. I have vassal and the 40k mod installed and have played around enough to know how to place units on the field and move then, advance the turn, etc.

ANyone, who also sucks but knows the rules, want to play a match with me? PM me if interested, dont clutter this thread.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 199