Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171244 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #750 on: October 08, 2009, 11:09:54 pm »

The Warp is basically a warped (tee hee) mirror of reality's metaphysical 'concepts', any and all such concepts exist in the warp in some sort of twisted, evil form, but only the four big ones (Honor, Love, Pleasure and Change) are really worth mentioning, along with the possible unknown fifth god.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 08, 2009, 11:15:36 pm »

Those are the four big concepts? Really?

Honestly, considering the level of Grimdark, I wouldn't expect Love and Pleasure to be very high up on the list. Still, the Gods are suitably badass, so I don't really care what they represent. ;D
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 08, 2009, 11:22:43 pm »

The fact that they're the universe's incarnations of Love and Pleasure emphasizes how grimdark it is. Pappy Nurgle loves us all so much that he gives us gifts.

Like leprosy.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 08, 2009, 11:23:24 pm »

Those are the four big concepts? Really?

Apparantly.

Love of course in this case meaning the love between parents and their children, fatherly love, rather than sexual love.

The fact that they're the universe's incarnations of Love and Pleasure emphasizes how grimdark it is. Pappy Nurgle loves us all so much that he gives us gifts.

Like leprosy.

Yep, and he'll accept anyone, regardless of race, culture or gender. He loves us all equally.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 08, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »

Alright, in order to defend the idea of Democracy In The Imperium, I'll show you this thread of Fluff Experts. In particular, this thread mentioned one Canonical source that talked about a planet that was a democracy:

Quote from: Doohickey
As an addition, if you read the Brothers of the Snake book I am pretty sure the world on that is Democratically elected. If I remember rightly the woman speaks of how hard she found it to be elected because she was a woman.

Of course my memory could be wrong about the above.

Quote from: Avykins
Doohicky: Yeah I just happened to read that chapter not half hour ago. They elected their own officials and such and considering that they hadn't had any space marines at all in over 600 years its pretty safe to say that as long as they did what the few "off shore" priests told em they were generally left alone.

Keep in mind that a democracy can still be GRIMDARK.

Quote from: KON Air
The talk went on we came up with two factors you have to take into account about democracy in the grim future;
-Elections in a birizillirion crowd planet, just doesn't happen without any incidents both during and prior.
-The overall ridiculousness and inefficiency of democracy where even Technocracies (as in everyone is expert at what they are doing) fail when it comes to get the job done in Imperium.

In conclusion a hive world with several spires simply can't function in democracy in modern sense, but a more aristocratic twist of democracy (getting to choose a noble house and local municipality to act in between) has no reason to not to exist.

Meanwhile the Dirt Farming Agri-planet in Segmentum Python can easily elect their government. In short the greater the population harder the democracy is. Not to mention the odds of electing an Alpha Legion Champion as El Presidente.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 08, 2009, 11:45:22 pm »

I realised it meant fatherly love, but still. He is also the God of Mortality, meaning his domain actually encompasses every aspect of humanity.

Any ideas for what (hypothetical) God would be produced should DA EMPRAH die and the Imperium fall?
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 09, 2009, 12:17:21 am »

It already happened.

The resulting God is called 'Aqizzar'.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 09, 2009, 12:27:41 am »

Aqizzar is merely the theoretical artifact throne keeping the new god alive. The new god is in fact the Chin.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 09, 2009, 12:32:34 am »

Some bits of fluff say that there is a unborn god in the warp, called the "Star Child", that is the power of the God Emperor. Should the Emperor be allowed to die, he would ascend and take the fight to the Chaos God themselves.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 09, 2009, 01:22:42 am »

Aqizzar is merely the theoretical artifact throne keeping the new god alive. The new god is in fact the Chin.

Indeed, the Aqizzar is merely a life-support and transportation device for the Chin.

Some bits of fluff say that there is a unborn god in the warp, called the "Star Child", that is the power of the God Emperor. Should the Emperor be allowed to die, he would ascend and take the fight to the Chaos God themselves.

GW can't make up their mind about the Star Child, it's either THE EMPRAH, THE EMPRAH's spirit,the reincarnation of THE EMPRAH, related to THE EMPRAH or comepletely unrelated to THE EMPRAH, depending on who you talk to.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 09, 2009, 01:37:42 am »

Did... did this just get 30 PAGES?

I was gone for one week!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 09, 2009, 01:57:28 am »

Gotta watch bay12 forums like a hawk' this is the natural home of the post asplosion.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 09, 2009, 06:45:43 am »

Once again this weird admiration of a characture of what's probably me is confusing and unnerving.

Anyway, getting back to Warhammer as a hobby.  A new line of plastic models for the Skaven are due to launch soon.  Not long after I first perused Warhammer Fantasy, I've had a mad dream of following the madmen who dreamed of bringing the Under Empire into the 41st Millennium.  Yes, a WH40K army made of Skaven figures.  And more, but it's a convoluted idea.  The biggest problem of course is where to get all the guns, but I've got a plan.

Thoughts?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 09, 2009, 06:58:02 am »

FUCK YEAH/

Ratmen fighting Chaos? FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 09, 2009, 07:00:02 am »

If the Skaven come to 40k, what role could the Imperial Guard possibly serve now that they have been replaced in the "meat for the grinder" department?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 199