Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 87832 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #330 on: August 17, 2012, 09:22:56 am »

Meh, maybe I just have to jump into the fire and go into a really difficult game.

But one thing I do know, is that the AI are always clustered around your planet, and there is a bunch of empty space behind them. Do the AI ever expand?

Uh.  The AI owns every system you don't own, at the start of the game.  There is no "empty space" unless you make it empty.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2012, 09:32:44 am »

Which is precisely why I said your prediction was laughable. The tutorial is designed to be a cakewalk. Play a normal game on difficulty 5 and see what happens.

You own a single system, everything else is hostile. The more things you do to 'win', the more pissed off the AI gets. You aren't fighting the AI, you are an ant biting the ankle of a giant. The AI can warp in swarms of ships from outside the galaxy which are more advanced than anything you have, and they can come in anywhere at any time if the AI is angry enough. The reason you haven't been killed is because the AI has decided you aren't worth the effort.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 17, 2012, 09:41:22 am »

I played a normal game, me vs 2 lvl 4 AI. I saw no difference from the lvl 1.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:46 am »

I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread... Does anyone wanna try some co-op some time?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2012, 09:45:47 am »

Okay, nevermind. You're right, the game is boring and you shouldn't play it any more. I'm not going to sit and argue with you. If you don't enjoy it, don't play it.

I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread... Does anyone wanna try some co-op some time?
I'd be up for something on Saturday.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 17, 2012, 09:47:02 am »

The AI is still a retard until you hit 6.  A "normal" game is difficulty 7 to 7.6 for most players.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:29 am »

Okay, nevermind. You're right, the game is boring and you shouldn't play it any more. I'm not going to sit and argue with you. If you don't enjoy it, don't play it.

Calm down. I'm just posting my experiences to point out that I'm not some guy who played just the sandbox level and thought that was the whole game.

I'll try lvl 7 and some handicaps.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #337 on: August 17, 2012, 10:15:39 am »

Sorry, long day. :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19:04 am »

Good thing about the 1/1 AI I suppose: its always there to make you feel like you can do everything in the game successfully if you feel terrible.

Until you get back up to normal difficulty, anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 01, 2012, 07:05:11 am »

Meh, maybe I just have to jump into the fire and go into a really difficult game.

But one thing I do know, is that the AI are always clustered around your planet, and there is a bunch of empty space behind them. Do the AI ever expand?

Game mechanics. Planets behind the frontline are comparably empty of defenses.

Planets around your planets are alerted and reinforce, depending on the number of guard posts they have. Which you may reduce through raiding without destroying the AI main station. Because of that, neutering surroundings and deep striking to important targets (i.e. advanced science stations which give new ship types) was a popular approach when i played.

A "normal" game is at difficulty 7. While this seems to leave little room open till 10, the ramp up in those last 3 is absurd. Beating 10s has only been done with metagame-y approaches on certain "easier" AI types.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:08:40 am by Lord Snow »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2012, 09:24:37 am »

A "normal" game is at difficulty 7. While this seems to leave little room open till 10, the ramp up in those last 3 is absurd. Beating 10s has only been done with metagame-y approaches on certain "easier" AI types.

Lately double-godlikes have been comparatively easy.  I saw screenshots of a 9 hour 10/10 that ended with ~24 AIP just the other day.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #341 on: October 17, 2012, 12:03:49 pm »

It's been three years, and AI War is still in active development. Version 6.0 releases on Friday officially on Steam. The patchnotes between version 5.0 and 6.0 are 65 thousand words long. Arcen are my favorite indie devs for a reason. They are amazing in their post-release support.

Also releasing on Friday is the fourth expansion to the game: Ancient Shadows, which adds Champion units to the game.

Not Even The Machine Sees All...

Introducing Champions: These modular behemoths can be upgraded, gain EXP, and lend powerful aid to your main forces.  But champions possess a unique power that sets them even further apart from other units: they can explore entirely new parts of the galaxy where the AI cannot reach.  Splinter factions of humans, zenith, neinzul, and spire all dwell in those backwater nebulae.  Some are hiding.  Some are plotting.  Some have gone totally insane.  It is there, in the shadows, that your champion can find relics from the ancient race which constructed it.  What power awaits?  At what cost?

Key Features:
* A whole new kind of human player.  It's possible to control champions alongside your main fleet, or to have a friend or family member control just one single massive ship.
* Several new sub-races dwelling in the backwater parts of the galaxy for your champions to interact with.
* Modular fortresses.
* 9 new bonus ship classes.
* 3 core AI guard posts and one new minor faction.
* 2 new AI types.
* 2 new map types.
* 98 minutes of awesome new music by Pablo Vega.

For the release notes from version 5.0 to 6.0 (warning: 65k+ words!): http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=AI_War_-_Current_Post-5.000_Beta

Here is the official trailer for version 6.0 and the Ancient Shadows expansion.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 17, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »

Also, you can use the Champion in solo games. It just requires more paying attention to things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »

AI War is in my top 3 games of all time (sharing with DF and X3TC) and yet I still feel that I don't play it nearly enough either.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 17, 2012, 05:03:07 pm »

Yup, the Core Sander was applied this morning.  Things are looking smooth.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47