Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 87669 times)

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2010, 07:34:53 pm »

Thank you. :)

Edit: Also ew, I remember. I was part of this before and left.

Why?
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2010, 07:37:22 pm »

Thank you. :)

Edit: Also ew, I remember. I was part of this before and left.

Why?
At the time there was a string of ridiculous announcements by someone who thought he was very funny, but was really just very annoying. On top of that, the TF2 worship was pretty much the only thing going on and I despise that game.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2010, 11:28:41 pm »

Its expanding out into other games. It started because of TF2 and will often have a large focus on that, but is hardly exclusive to that.

Also: Why the hell do you despise TF2, the best FPS on the planet?

EDIT: Actually, PM me. Lets keep TF2 out of the AI War thread.

You should join the official AI War group on steam though by the way. Lots of people open to a game there.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:39:08 pm by Volatar »

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2010, 01:47:11 am »

Wow, this game is awesome. Only have the demo currently, but have 5 hours on it so far (wait, what? I thought it was only 3. Not complaining though). I just had this epic battle for this one planet in the tutorial level (I'm completely ignoring the instructions). I forgot the name, but I went after it with roughly 2000 ships of the Rotten Armada, including 3 flagships. The tide was going our way until, well, the actual ships showed up. Those core ships are monstrous. It takes 3 direct blasts from a flagship to kill one, plus their leech ship kept bolstering their lines with my dead, causing a snowball effect. Anyways, they swarmed my beachhead attempt and forced me back into the wormhole through sheer force after I only managed minor damage to their turrets and a few large ships. I tried circling them, cutting off ships and picking them off, but eventually just had to call retreat. The AI was pretty pissed though (maybe they liked that mothership-thing I blew up? Heh), and launched a massive counterattack through the wormhole. They shredded my 10 turrets and 5 tractor beams in seconds, and proceeded to tear through the industry of that planet. I called up the reserves from the other border planets to hold off the aliens while the factories pumped out Armada V2 in record time. About 800 ships this time, bolstered by the two surviving flagships. When I had to quit, the battle was organized fronts on one side with the flagships strengthening the ships and occasionally hurling energy weapons everywhere, which was doing OK, and 33 vs 33 mini-battles on the other side, in which my ships were kicking ass. Still, the casualties are enormous, in the first retreat I lost 1976 ships, many of them level III bombers. In this somewhat-success-so-far holding off, I've lost probably more than that initial battle, but I'm constantly sending reinforcements through the wormhole. It's a battle of attrition, inleast until the AI just bring out their fortresses and blast the entire planet to pieces.

The really frustrating thing, though, is that this AI isn't clever (I know it's the stupid AI because it's the demo), it's just that the AI has goddamn good ships compared to mine. I can employ all the clever tactics in the world, like flybys with hundreds of raptors all shooting thousands of bolts, but one shot from a core ship cripple their ship's engines and knocks them down to 50% health.

Maybe I shouldn't have attacked the end-of-tutorial boss in the middle of the tutorial.

(Aso, did anyone else take the ion cannon on that one planet instead of destroying it? It took me forever to win that battle, I lost about 2000(!) ships (though they replace fast with 10 engineers), and I pissed the AI off a ton, but now I have the most awesome gun ever, and don't have to keep dodging around that planet. I still get ambushes from it to other planets, though, which is weird.)
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2010, 07:39:57 am »

Wow, this game is awesome. Only have the demo currently, but have 5 hours on it so far (wait, what? I thought it was only 3. Not complaining though). I just had this epic battle for this one planet in the tutorial level...

The really frustrating thing, though, is that this AI isn't clever (I know it's the stupid AI because it's the demo), it's just that the AI has goddamn good ships compared to mine. I can employ all the clever tactics in the world, like flybys with hundreds of raptors all shooting thousands of bolts, but one shot from a core ship cripple their ship's engines and knocks them down to 50% health.

(Aso, did anyone else take the ion cannon on that one planet instead of destroying it? I still get ambushes from it to other planets, though, which is weird.)

The intermediate tutorial has no time limit :)

The intermediate tutorial AI is set to difficulty one. And there is only one AI. The main game will be much more fun :)

I didn't take that ion cannon, but it sounds fun to do :)
Ambushes from it? as in waves? did you destroy the warp gate?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2010, 09:25:46 am »

The AI is level 1 which means it makes tactical mistakes--a lot.

AI level 5 to 6 is where most people end up playing at for a reasonable challenge.  My friends and I take on 7 to 8s.

BTW, what's your AI Progress at?  AIs shouldn't have Core ships unless either a) your AIP is like 1000 or b) you're attacking a MkIV world or the AI's home planet.

And yes, core ships are nasty.  They are effectively Mk5, and players basically can't get them (except through rare Core Fabricators--one of our games we took a world just for the core experimental engineers).

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2010, 03:37:50 pm »

you're attacking a MkIV world or the AI's home planet.
First one, I think. I like stupid challenges.

Anyways, I just retook Jelyjo, the neighboring planet to the MkIV planet with all the core ships. The Rotten Armada is now 200 ships, a tenth of it's former size. The Rajuja (the planet with the epic battle for the ion cannon) factory is spewing out reinforcements 24/7, and soon I'll get a space dock up on Jelyjo for another attack on the MkIV world. I'll win this time, really! Then just take out the AI home planet and the other AI home planet and I've won the intermediate tutorial, which is still trying to get me to scout the remaining planets. Doesn't having 2000 ships die over the planet count as scouting?
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2010, 03:45:34 pm »

Doesn't having 2000 ships die over the planet count as scouting?

No actually, you need scouts to scout. Its easy to do though.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2010, 04:25:44 pm »

Doesn't having 2000 ships die over the planet count as scouting?

No actually, you need scouts to scout. Its easy to do though.
Well, I would think that the game would count whether or not the planet was visible rather than how many scouts were on it. And all my scouts at at some far off enemy planet hiding from some core ships. Whatever, I don't really care about the tutorial anyways.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2010, 04:57:32 pm »

Scouts are cloaked anyways. All you need is one on each planet for full visability.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2010, 05:43:42 pm »

Well, I would think that the game would count whether or not the planet was visible rather than how many scouts were on it. And all my scouts at at some far off enemy planet hiding from some core ships. Whatever, I don't really care about the tutorial anyways.

There's visibility and scout intel.  Scout data tells you how many enemy units are on a planet and where they (and various structures) are (right click on an icon in the panel on the right ;) ).

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2010, 10:43:28 pm »

Downloaded the demo on steam and tried it.

Damn, that was fun.  I ended up steamrolling the AI with a ~2500-ship fleet at the end.  The only complaint I have is that the game is a bit slow for me at times, but that might be been something other than the game.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2010, 10:47:38 pm »

Downloaded the demo on steam and tried it.

Damn, that was fun.  I ended up steamrolling the AI with a ~2500-ship fleet at the end.  The only complaint I have is that the game is a bit slow for me at times, but that might be been something other than the game.
You can hit the + key to speed it up a bit. Helps when you're waiting for ships to build/move etc.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2010, 11:16:37 pm »

I mean frame-rate slow, not gameplay speed slow  :P
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch