Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Your most hated nemesis  (Read 15437 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most hated nemesis
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 07:11:58 pm »

Gravity...
My one true Foe...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 07:22:50 pm »

Gravity...
My one true Foe...
I hope you dont mind if i Sig that...

As for mine so far?
THis one Kobold who the human Caravan HAVENT managed to kill off *Im on a world with No dwarves or Goblins*. Bastard has managed to live for a good fourteen years now..thankfully he never steals anything, but i REALLY want his head on a platter just for being annoying as all hell..

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 07:37:05 pm »

Gravity...
My one true Foe...
I hope you dont mind if i Sig that...

As for mine so far?
THis one Kobold who the human Caravan HAVENT managed to kill off *Im on a world with No dwarves or Goblins*. Bastard has managed to live for a good fourteen years now..thankfully he never steals anything, but i REALLY want his head on a platter just for being annoying as all hell..

Clearly you need to send a few military squads out for the express purpose of hunting down that creature.

I would have to say my nemesis is that one fire imp that sends a wave of fire across the ENTIRE map every time a dwarf so much as looks at the volcano.  Thankfully, the dwarves live in a natural cave...sadly, they're too stupid to come inside even when I give them orders to do so...so I lose dwarves to fires this way.  Also, I can't safely even build a wall or dig a trench around this stupid volcano...darned imp.

It was really tragic the first time...I lose the entire first expedition to this thing.  Three died in the initially...I'm not entirely sure how...I was designing the fortress layout in the cave at the time...by the time I knew what was happening, I gave an inside order and watched three more dwarves burn to death before reaching safety.  Then I watched as my last dwarf of the expedition refused to move AT ALL while fire approached him.  I even tried drafting him and stationing him at safety and he still refused to move with no apparent injuries...I was forced to watch as the fire slowly approached him and he burned to death.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 07:58:54 pm »

My nemesis:  Channeling.

Whether it's not realising that I'm channeling where I have a dug-out area below, or channeling some water into my fortress, or designating an area that ends up stranding someone in the middle of it, or causing a cave-in, my track record with channeling is very, very poor.  It doesn't help that it's all accidentally of my own doing, really.  :P
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 08:01:07 pm »

Something I said got sigged...
Ah my life is complete...

I must have a lot of luck with Volcanoes and Imps, always only one or two spaces away from being sealed, and the Imps always start 8zs down the pipe. And my Miners can always Wrestle them to death before they are able to throw a fire ball if they feel like coming up for a peak...
But then again when I first started on a Volcano I did lose a few to one Imp before noticing that they were weak little things...

I am currently having probs with getting down a defence before the Orks come, Just added them to the Mix, and well. I forget that they have trap avoid. So my real Nemesis is the fact I am a fool...

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 09:56:18 pm »

In my current fort (the illustrious "Fencebrother") it is fish. 10-12 dwarves have died to the vile fishs of darkness that have taken up residence in my river. Before you ask, no, not zombie cyborg carpinators, they are merely normal pike and sturgeon :( The river runs red most of the time. Any attempt to fortify the bridges that migrants cross to get to the fort results in many, many deaths and the work never gets done because there frightened of all the named fishies.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 10:22:05 pm »

I changed the carp bite attack to 99:99.
Anyways, my greatest nemeses are aquifers.
Especially multi-level ones.
Unfortunately, as much as I hate them, they are often the only source of water on desert maps.
Good thing that problem is easily solved by a nice brewing setup.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 11:23:57 pm »

I can't believe you guys hate aquifers -- I love them. You can easily get past them by digging down through a magma vent, pouring magma into them, or collapsing natural terrain into them. Having an aquifer means you have more protected farmland than you could possibly ever use, an infinite, FPS-friendly water source that just needs to run through a pump to be desalinated, and a sink for water that you don't want (I attempted to drain the ocean into one...). If you have magma, you have a map-sized obsidian farm ready to be tapped. Miners can easily dig through the sand above it and it doesn't leave behind stone, making it a great training program for unskilled immigrants or quickly hollowing out a large living space.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 03:08:07 am »

If you don't have magma, they're nigh impossible to get through.

TheIncredibleChris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 09:27:43 am »

If you don't have magma, they're nigh impossible to get through.
Worse: if your magma is 2 levels BELOW the aquifer :P

Water in general appears to be my biggest foe. The most fun incident that springs to mind was the last time I tried to dam a river. Somehow I got the river to instead flow down an access corridor, down 3 flights of stairs into my dining room, farms, and industrial complex. Then the carp came.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 10:01:49 am »

Aquifers aren't that hard to dig through. All you need to do is pump out the water into a separate aquifer hole while you construct walls or smooth walls (preferable) to make you decent. I recently just punched through 4 levels of aquifer with no magma and no cave ins. Sure it took a WHILE but it's doable and 4 aquifer levels is also a little on the extreme end.

In my current fort (the illustrious "Fencebrother") it is fish. 10-12 dwarves have died to the vile fishs of darkness that have taken up residence in my river. Before you ask, no, not zombie cyborg carpinators, they are merely normal pike and sturgeon :( The river runs red most of the time. Any attempt to fortify the bridges that migrants cross to get to the fort results in many, many deaths and the work never gets done because there frightened of all the named fishies.

It's much easier to go UNDER the river rather than over it as you can do it from many tiles back making a safe tunnel. That or go over it 1 z level above the surface of the water.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:05:33 am by Slogo »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 11:01:48 am »

A kobold master thief killed my most popular dwarf and stole an artifact addy sword i had. 110 dwarf spiral.

After a few seasons, there were three dwarves left, a duke, a farmer, and a mason. The mason had a mood, the duke made an unreasonable mandate, and the grower got killed by my least favorite kobold.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 01:56:15 pm »

Rabbits.

Urist McDying cancels eat: Interrupted by rabbit x37

ffs...

I have yet to make a Monty Python and the Holy Grail rabbit mod to reflect this fear.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 03:35:20 pm »

Nemesis Unit Load Failed

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 03:36:27 pm »

Nemesis Unit Load Failed
RAARAGRAARGGARARGAGRRGARSGRARGRGARGGRR!