Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 58182 times)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2009, 12:09:38 pm »

When magic finally does make it in, will there be spells to teleport people's organs out of their body, like you could in Armok I?

I loved doing that...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2009, 12:17:07 pm »

Will you make it so that vermin can have attack values and everything else than normal creatures have, while still being vermin? I'm working on some creatures for a mod, but strangely vermin can only inject extracts. Also, will you add a hateable tag without requiring the animal to be a vermin creature? Same mod, different goal.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2009, 12:20:59 pm »

Why do the temperatures in the raws have such high numbers? Is there any special reason for water to freeze at 10,000 degrees?

I have HALF the reason...

Some things only freeze in the negatives and negative numbers in raws are harder to code.

Kelvin for example is temperature where 0 Kelvin is Absolute Zero.

So why not use Kelvin (or Rankine)? Why Fahrenheit + 9968?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2009, 06:11:12 pm »

When magic is in, in adventure mode, if I cast "Turn my left hand to *Dwarven Wine Biscuit*" then eat it, will it count as cannibalism?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:13:14 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2009, 09:31:37 pm »

Well, I know he stated that he wanted it possible to go below absolute zero, using magic.  I guess he wanted you to be able to go WELL below absolute zero.

I can even imagine what that might mean.  If absolute zero is no molecular motion, than -x rankine is an external force (magic) holding the molecules motionless with a certain amount of force that you would have to overcome before getting motion.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2009, 09:57:03 pm »

Well, I know he stated that he wanted it possible to go below absolute zero, using magic.  I guess he wanted you to be able to go WELL below absolute zero.

I can even imagine what that might mean.  If absolute zero is no molecular motion, than -x rankine is an external force (magic) holding the molecules motionless with a certain amount of force that you would have to overcome before getting motion.

I don't think it works that way. We haven't figured out what particles do at 0K yet, and we probably never will. But shortly before that point, we are getting into quantum physics stuff that DF really shouldn't try to simulate.

I think it's likely that the DF temperature system would be revised some time in the future. Which warrants this question:

Is the current temperature system for DF going to be changed in the future? Why did you pick the current one, with water freezing being 10,000?

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2009, 10:25:00 pm »

This glass of Ice Tea is really cold Vegeta!  What does the scouter say about it's temperature?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »

Well then, if you prefer consider that when two objects come in contact, their temperature will tend towards an average between them.  If object 1 has a negative temperature, object 2 will be brought colder than it would have otherwise, and faster.  This will be useful for such things as modeling magic balls of frost that instantly freeze your dwarves.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2009, 10:48:02 pm »

Are there any plans for finishing the reactions system in the near future? (As in, updating buildings other than the smelter to use it.)

The medical-care system is using zones to define a special "workshop" area, with furniture in the area controlling the capabilities of the zone. Should we expect other, existing workshop types to convert to this system in the future?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2009, 11:54:25 pm »

This glass of Ice Tea is really cold Vegeta!  What does the scouter say about it's temperature?

It's exactly 9000 degrees. Why do you ask?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:17 am »

I really, really, saw it coming but it was still funny.    ::)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2009, 01:43:26 am »

Please try to stay on topic :(

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »

I also grabbed somebody's exposed guts and did the only thing you can do with them currently, which is pinch them.
My question is, what will you be able to do to the exposed guts, could you rip them out, cut them apart, etc?

Do you like pie? :P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:31:33 pm by ILikePie »

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »

Please try to stay on topic :(
Sorry, my apologies.   :-X

I also grabbed somebody's exposed guts and did the only thing you can do with them currently, which is pinch them.
My question is, what will you be able to do to the exposed guts, could you rip them out, cut them apart, etc?

Do you like pie? :P

In the same vein of thought....

The devlog mentions the rebalancing of weapons including nerfing ranged weapons.  Given the extent of all the weapon, armour, skills, and stats how do you see this effecting the survival rate of an adventurer?  Is your goal for them to die more easily but have the possibility of becoming more powerful than they already can, or have the power/survival gradient less steep, or something else entirely?

I am basically asking him to wax poetic about his goals for the degree of difficulty and reward of adventuring.  This was somewhat touched on in the first podcast.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2009, 11:46:36 am »

Wouldn't you prefer him to wax lyrical?

What direction do you see for future DF economics? We've been debating this a lot and I'd like to know roughly where you're going with it in the caravan arc
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12