Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 58204 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »

Goodness... Yeah I'd actually would really like to know a bit more about how Powergoals even work.

I mean a lot of them are actually collections of additions. Are they representative of those additions or are they supposed to be made capable of actually occuring in the game with the same context.

If you want to consider this a questions go ahead...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2009, 10:32:14 pm »

More of a suggestion than a question but why not have Toady briefly discussing one power goal each episode and what eventual future mechanics or features it illustrates? Really liked how Toady gave some more details of how PowerGoal131 (The Intriguing Player) could work in the game in the first podcast.
Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2009, 11:59:36 pm »

More of a suggestion than a question but why not have Toady briefly discussing one power goal each episode and what eventual future mechanics or features it illustrates? Really liked how Toady gave some more details of how PowerGoal131 (The Intriguing Player) could work in the game in the first podcast.

Cool, this would defiantly provide more structure to the podcasts. Maybe announce what power goal it is half way through the month:

" this month toady will discuss some aspects of the siege/war arc "

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2009, 04:20:22 am »

Are you really playing Go (board game), Toady?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2009, 08:32:42 am »

Seconded.
Fourthed

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2009, 03:13:39 am »

Not sure if it was asked in the previous thread, but: Have you ever considered letting the player "attach" their perspective to a dwarf and just follow them around, seeing their thoughts (and in the future, conversations) as they happen?

I don't mean in any direct control manner.  You mentioned conversations between dwarves and groupings and such, so it would be neat to be able to see the fortress from the perspective of a single dwarf.

And, for a second question: Seeing as how the various civilizations speak different languages, have you ever considered having the dwarves/humans/elves/goblins actually learn each others languages?

For example, imagine the first meeting between your little 7-14 dwarf outpost and a human representative.  Sure, there are dwarves that have learned to speak the human language, you just didn't bring any with you.  This could mean an inability to trade, maybe accidental flattering/insults, maybe even fights.  More encounters/immigrant waves increase the likelihood of a dwarf picking the language up.  That dwarf could then teach other's through the new teaching system.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:42:45 am by wallish »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2009, 12:07:15 pm »

This one is more of a "fan being obsessed about Toady's life" question than a DF question, but I think we should have a couple questions about Toady's life every podcast.

In the PC Cohort interview, you mentioned using Pandora. What kind of music do you listen to?

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2009, 01:05:45 pm »

What are your thoughts on making the UI more malleable and possibly somewhat forward compatible?

Since reading the interview over at PC Cohort I'd like to expand on my question.  What I had in mind is the tension between future development and the interface, not just the waste of time it is to develop an interface only to have it obsoleted in the next version, but how backwards compatibility hampers future development.  Question 8 from the interview gives some insight to Toady's thinking.  So my new question is:

Do you think it's possible to "have our cake and eat it to" when it comes to the interface?  That is, could we have nice community developed interfaces where you're still in control and aren't hampered?  I had in mind an API (or something) that is designed to be somewhat forward compatible (where things can be deprecated and new things added, but the relevant parts still work).

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2009, 08:04:56 pm »

Ever since whay back before the 3D version, I have been eagerly anticipating the possibility adventure mode construction/mining(back then it was just mining). Is there any solid idea of when this becomes a reality?
Eh?
Eh!

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »

Ever since whay back before the 3D version, I have been eagerly anticipating the possibility adventure mode construction/mining(back then it was just mining). Is there any solid idea of when this becomes a reality?

I would like to know about this, too.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2009, 11:53:45 pm »

The adventurer skills arc.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2009, 06:17:00 am »

The adventurer skills arc.

It's up on dev_next under "Adventurer Skills Preliminaries ", so it is possible that it's not that far in the future.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2009, 01:36:01 pm »

This is somewhat related to the post above.

In the current version, do all skills in both Fortress and Adventure modes scale/level the same?  Is the wiki page on skill ranks accurate?  Will this be the case in the next release and in the far future?

This question stems from the later parts of this thread.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:39:33 pm by PencilinHand »

Tlaon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2009, 04:35:09 am »

What are the plans for implementing a naval aspect to DF civilizations?  As a corollary, do dwarves sail?  Are there dwarf pirates?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2009, 08:38:58 pm »

Do you ever play any mods for Dwarf Fortress in your spare time, if so what is your favorite mod?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12