Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Your Questions!  (Read 58198 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call #2: Your Questions!
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2009, 06:35:26 pm »

If you asked a question the first time around and it didn't make the show, should you ask again in this thread, or will past questions that didn't make it considered again, or does that mean the question wasn't good enough and shouldn't be posed again?

Judging by the second post... It seems like you can ask again.

Kelbin posted that in the first thread around the time the call was posted, so I think it was intended for the 2nd one.  But yeah, I don't think there's a problem with repeats of unasked questions.  I'm not in charge of choosing the questions though.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2009, 07:44:21 pm »

Q: You have added healthcare, hygene and illness/poisons etc. Will fleas and other relatively harmless parasites be represented as an illness treatable with the right soap or herbal extract (like wormvine ext. v.s. intestinal worms)?

Q2:Will parasites eventually be vectors for the spread of diseases?
n.b. Tolerate a flea infected population for too long and when a single dwarf imigrant suffers from a flea-carried illness (like plague), it will spread much more readilly through your flearidden pop., while in a clean pop. the pestillence will have to resort to contact and pneumonic transmission.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:20:04 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2009, 09:27:03 pm »

Will it be possible to host NPCs of other races in your fortress (such as hostages, refugees, or non-dwarf immigrants) and will they require food? [color]

Something like this happened recently, with a dwarven civ getting an elven king, and having to use a utility to make the fortress accept the king as a noble when he immigrated. I'm wondering exactly how possible this issue is and if it will be looked into.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:36 am »

Q: Will disfigurements due to fighting be shown in the in-game descriptions? For example, if a Dwarf had a long nose, which was damaged badly, would the game pick up on that? Would be be described as having a "scarred, ripped lump of flesh for a nose" or would the game still insist he had a long nose? Would it become a small, scarred nose after it healed?

This is a lot of fun.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2009, 08:22:49 am »

What are your thoughts on making the UI more malleable and possibly somewhat forward compatible?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2009, 10:48:33 am »

Will we ever be able to wage a full on genocidal war against the elves in fortress mode, or do we have to keep making adventurers for that?

What of the elves that stop with their tree-hugging, cannibalistic ways? Will we be able to accept them as a citizen of the fort?

(I assume the last one is kind of covered under Fault's question)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2009, 07:18:42 am »

Are you really playing Go (board game), Toady?

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48:33 am »

I don't know if it hasn't been already asked, but...

Are you planning on fixing the worst unrealistic flaws of DF, like the perpetual motion water wheel or the magma proof wooden wall ?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2009, 11:59:17 am »

I don't know if it hasn't been already asked, but...

Are you planning on fixing the worst unrealistic flaws of DF, like the perpetual motion water wheel or the magma proof wooden wall ?

Considering DF is striving for realism, it should be pretty clear that things like this are a matter of 'when' rather than 'if'.

Axeforgebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2009, 04:19:34 pm »

Will things like temperature and smoke matter more later on? As in, a cluster of forges and furnaces standing one story over a magma river, right next to a giant magma pipe, should be pretty damn hot and produce a lot of smoke. Will things like chimneys for smoke ventilation and air exchange ever be necessary? Will dwarves know to, say, take off some of their clothes to cool off(not that they really need a reason to get naked, as it is)?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2009, 04:20:03 pm »

Well even then some of the "Unrealistic" aspects of Dwarf Fortress will never be fixed due to its also Fantasy nature.

Though given qualifiers like "Worst" and "Flaw" I guess what I said earlier doesn't count.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2009, 04:39:22 pm »

Well, fantasy is great for dragons and stuff, but I've never heard of a fantasy story about a common wooden wall that doesn't burn when put in contact with extremly hot molten rock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2009, 04:44:21 pm »

Well, fantasy is great for dragons and stuff, but I've never heard of a fantasy story about a common wooden wall that doesn't burn when put in contact with extremly hot molten rock.

Not even Discworld?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2009, 04:51:32 pm »

I'm not certain of wood in discworld, near the forgotten university it would entirely be possible, however I'm certain most types of dwarven bread can be safely used to plug a leaking magmatube. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2009, 06:11:20 pm »

More of a suggestion than a question but why not have Toady briefly discussing one power goal each episode and what eventual future mechanics or features it illustrates? Really liked how Toady gave some more details of how PowerGoal131 (The Intriguing Player) could work in the game in the first podcast.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12