Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Smoothing OCD?  (Read 2573 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoothing OCD?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »

Mine is a hybrid of Mayday and some of my own stuff.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 10:37:12 pm »

I suffered from this until I started building above-ground forts

That is no excuse. Make obsidian molds so you can smooth above-ground stones. I am disappoint.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Mordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mordae
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 12:04:39 pm »

Get a doctor's note saying that you have OCD and I believe you.
You can't self diagnose this.

One of the most popular trends this OCD these days.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »

I seriously doubt anyone is actually self-diagnosing OCD. It's just an easy shorthand way to say "this is something I compulsively do in my games"

Mordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mordae
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 05:05:34 am »

-

I seriously doubt anyone is actually self-diagnosing OCD. It's just an easy shorthand way to say "this is something I compulsively do in my games"

Brain disorders are a serious thing.
If someone thinks they have OCD or Aspergers they should see a doctor.
Don't take a chance and die home.

It could be brain cancer for all you know.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 09:49:58 am »

Oh, I agree that brain disorders are indeed very serious.

Still, just because it's serious doesn't mean you can't joke about it or, as Scarpa mentioned, make references to it because the situation you're in approximates the symptoms somehow, while probably still not being that. Case in point, me, I do pretty much the same as the OP (with exceptions). A non-smooth wall in the fortress just annoys me by existing. It's not OCD, because I can ignore it without too much effort, but it's still a behaviour that (to a degree) approximates that of the popularly known symptoms of OCD.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 04:13:45 pm »

Not only do I smooth everything (Wells, magma/water tunnels, even the mines - hey, extra smoothing experience), but when it comes time to engrave, I personally put fancy symbols on the ground in rooms large enough to warrant it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My favorite is my personal symbol (As seen in the dining hall).  That goes into each fortress at least once.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 05:06:20 pm »

Wells, magma/water tunnels, even the mines

For a second, I wondered how you managed to smooth the miners

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 06:16:03 pm »

Insert Quote
Quote from: Scarpa on August 07, 2009, 02:24:25 PM
Quote from: Mordae on August 07, 2009, 01:04:39 PM
-

OCD diagnoses is a very subjective thing, with various degrees of severity, ranging from a strange personality quirk to life crippling disorder.
The definition of OCD would be an obession that leads to compulsive behavior, hence the name. So you could consider any obsession that can't be ignored as OCD. At least, in the practical sense. Treatment could vary, and I say more DF is the cure for this Obsession.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 05:36:02 pm »

And AD-HD. Some people I meet say that they're AD-HD, and I'm like, "No you're not! You've never even SEEN an AD-HD person!"

It's just an attention-drawing thing. NO ONE, I said NO ONE is as easily distracted as dwarves.

"Oh Noes, is that a vicious Groundhog I see over there? Sound the alert! Everyone, drop what you're doing and RUN IN RANDOM DIRECTIONS!!"
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 05:51:59 pm »

-

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure Asperger's tends to be non-fatal social impairments. Sure, it's pretty crippling as far as you're going to find social functions ridiculously difficult, but unless you try to shittalk some biker guys with it and miss out on the universal shut up sign, you can't fail hard enough at talking to induce death.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 11:36:09 pm »

And AD-HD. Some people I meet say that they're AD-HD, and I'm like, "No you're not! You've never even SEEN an AD-HD person!"

It's just an attention-drawing thing. NO ONE, I said NO ONE is as easily distracted as dwarves.

"Oh Noes, is that a vicious Groundhog I see over there? Sound the alert! Everyone, drop what you're doing and RUN IN RANDOM DIRECTIONS!!"
You have no idea how bad I want to hit people for this. I DO have ADHD...Doctor checked, all that jazz...twice. I think I've mentioned it in open conversation with friends...Once? Beyond that..no reason to point it out....

Then you have the folk who are saying it as every excuse for losing focus for whatever reason and la-de-da.

Im going to refocus on the topic before i begin ranting...

Not only do I smooth everything (Wells, magma/water tunnels, even the mines - hey, extra smoothing experience), but when it comes time to engrave, I personally put fancy symbols on the ground in rooms large enough to warrant it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My favorite is my personal symbol (As seen in the dining hall).  That goes into each fortress at least once.
That looks quite nice. I have a few rooms im planning to engrave...Im thinking I might just take your idea and carve out patterns instead of just all over the floor *Not that it'll matter in the tomb's section once their sealed and the individual tomb's are flooded...*

And a question to anyone...Know what to modify to make Constructed Block walls *Not raw Stone, Just block* Engraveable? I'd kind of like to class up the tower im making.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 01:10:30 am »

And a question to anyone...Know what to modify to make Constructed Block walls *Not raw Stone, Just block* Engraveable? I'd kind of like to class up the tower im making.

Best you can get is making the whole thing out of cast obsidian.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 01:19:43 am »

Best you can get is making the whole thing out of cast obsidian.
No Lava on current fort.....However, towers of obsidian is my NEXT project....Once this one either crumbles or I get bored.
Pages: 1 [2]