Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Heart issue  (Read 6046 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Heart issue
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2009, 09:56:55 pm »

For those joining late, the relevant posts have already been deleted.

Anyway, if discussions about violence spawned in random threads and destroyed them, we'd have an issue there too.  Violence is worse than sex in an absolute way, obviously, but when it comes to a lack of self-control in discussions, sex is the clear winner.  This isn't the first time Yanlin or Sofia have attempted to derail a thread with behavior like this.  And additionally I'll point out that the thread wasn't locked, which means that Threetoe didn't think the thread was derailed.  He just removed some rule-violating posts that were having a few ripples.  Anyway, the thread's derailed now since it seems some people, including the OP, disagree with this decision.

The reason sex discussions are banned and discussions about violence aren't is because some of you can't handle them.  A single off-topic mention is likely though not guaranteed to sink a thread.  The rule was only created after numerous derails, not because we woke up one day and discovered morality.  I don't think all discussions of a sexual nature would be banned in general if the community were up to handling them -- now, certainly, given the age of many of the forum members and general standards in my country, allowing sexual roleplaying or other such explicit discussions wouldn't work out.  Whether or not that's something we should be doing is irrelevant though, because a segment of our community is not up to the point of having a conversation in a thread of that kind, and in fact couldn't keep it contained in such a thread in any case.  The Various Nonsense forum proved that topicless joke threads, which is essentially what these would be, are not healthy for the forum.

In addition, this shit loses me money, if you want to get down to it, because many people don't want to be dragged back to junior high school, especially if they start a topic and somebody comes in and knowingly screws it up.

If you want to say I'm a typical American because I don't think several grade school posts about ass sex belong in a thread about symbolism of the word heart, and you disagree with the reasoning above, that's fine, but I don't think I'm going to change the rules, especially after seeing some of the responses here.

In particular, Armok, if you want to paint my brother as a stick-up-the-ass American prude without trying to have a discussion about what is obviously a defensible position independent of our own morality, you should recognize that you're the one having a knee-jerk reaction.

Yanlin, this isn't a tragic moment in the violence vs. sex debate.  You're just a juvenile dipshit who can't control himself.  You've been warned 11 times.  Somehow, you've been cut more slack than anybody else, but I'm through with letting you waste my time.  You're gone.
Those are some good arguments, guess I'll at least try to recover some dignity by being reasonable enough to admit I was wrong, at least about this thread.

I still disagree whit some moderation decisions Threetoe have done, none that you have done that I have seen, but Threetoe seem a bit triggerhappy to me, but that might be because I take a ban (and the internet in general) more seriusly than most peaple.
(Yes, I'm talking about the CP topic, I still dont think he read that link.)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2009, 10:18:40 pm »

Quote from: Armok
(Yes, I'm talking about the CP topic, I still dont think he read that link.)
Yesh, after read the link, I have though about that too...

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2009, 10:20:27 pm »

Armok, you should stop and think.  Do you really want to be permanently banned from the Bay 12 forums?  You insulted a moderator earlier, and now you want to tell me how to run things?  You already have two big strikes against you and are rushing toward a third.  The only reason you are still here is your past enthusiasm for Dwarf Fortress. 
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2009, 10:25:16 pm »

@ThreeToe: Eh, dude, calm down.
I know that NO MAN likes it when they are being argued, especially their beliefs.
But, eh, I think this is worser than usual, hmm...

(I hope B12 does not explode/implode from this...)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2009, 10:28:09 pm »

The best way to prevent it from happening is by us all calming.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2009, 10:34:23 pm »

Indeed, a chill attitude would be best here.

I will have to side with ThreeToe here, and not because he is ThreeToe. Bannings are a bit serious here thanks to how close-knit our community is, but he was asking for it. The Adams cannot continue to babysit him when they have a job to do.

As for triggerhappy, he has stated that there have been many, many warnings before. Generally people get the point of warnings. They warn you not to cross a line anymore. After a while, when warnings don't work, you need to do what does work. While I have received a warning for something I found to be a bit... light, I agree with the Adams decisions to keep these forums in check.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2009, 10:37:36 pm »

Armok, you should stop and think.  Do you really want to be permanently banned from the Bay 12 forums?  You insulted a moderator earlier, and now you want to tell me how to run things?  You already have two big strikes against you and are rushing toward a third.  The only reason you are still here is your past enthusiasm for Dwarf Fortress. 

Are you speaking to Armok, or me?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2009, 10:38:01 pm »

Are you speaking to Armok, or me?

Seems like Armok.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]