Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Heart issue  (Read 6030 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Heart issue
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 12:29:58 pm »

Actually, I agree as well. They didn't say anything particularly major.

Ana-- I mean Backdoor access is quite major.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 12:35:08 pm »

Actually, I agree as well. They didn't say anything particularly major.

Ana-- I mean Backdoor access is quite major.
I'm somewhat torn on this issue(Groan, and ow). I find the person who made the joke on a culture associating love with the bowels could get away with said joke. However, it was the isolated comment about the issue that caused problems. Because face it people, we knew the thread was more than likely going to derail in that direction.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009, 12:52:11 pm »

My impression is that Threetoe has a stick up the very thing being disused is being very American.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 01:06:19 pm »

My impression is that Threetoe has a stick up the very thing being disused is being very American.
Apparently, he isn't the only one.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 01:17:46 pm »

Bowels just used to mean guts.

Love and emotion have also been associated with the gall-bladder (New Guinea highlands)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 02:22:39 pm »

You're making this unnecessarily personal.  He's attempting to keep the forums an environment that potential DF players feel comfortable in.  Whatever his own morals are, they're a secondary concern.

Besides, the people who want most badly to talk about sex here also seem to be the ones who aren't capable of having a mature attitude about it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:27:35 pm by Footkerchief »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2009, 02:34:12 pm »

I didn't think it was inevitable that this thread was going to derail in any direction.  Hmm, just shows I haven't been on these forums for too long.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2009, 03:33:29 pm »

For those joining late, the relevant posts have already been deleted.

Anyway, if discussions about violence spawned in random threads and destroyed them, we'd have an issue there too.  Violence is worse than sex in an absolute way, obviously, but when it comes to a lack of self-control in discussions, sex is the clear winner.  This isn't the first time Yanlin or Sofia have attempted to derail a thread with behavior like this.  And additionally I'll point out that the thread wasn't locked, which means that Threetoe didn't think the thread was derailed.  He just removed some rule-violating posts that were having a few ripples.  Anyway, the thread's derailed now since it seems some people, including the OP, disagree with this decision.

The reason sex discussions are banned and discussions about violence aren't is because some of you can't handle them.  A single off-topic mention is likely though not guaranteed to sink a thread.  The rule was only created after numerous derails, not because we woke up one day and discovered morality.  I don't think all discussions of a sexual nature would be banned in general if the community were up to handling them -- now, certainly, given the age of many of the forum members and general standards in my country, allowing sexual roleplaying or other such explicit discussions wouldn't work out.  Whether or not that's something we should be doing is irrelevant though, because a segment of our community is not up to the point of having a conversation in a thread of that kind, and in fact couldn't keep it contained in such a thread in any case.  The Various Nonsense forum proved that topicless joke threads, which is essentially what these would be, are not healthy for the forum.

In addition, this shit loses me money, if you want to get down to it, because many people don't want to be dragged back to junior high school, especially if they start a topic and somebody comes in and knowingly screws it up.

If you want to say I'm a typical American because I don't think several grade school posts about ass sex belong in a thread about symbolism of the word heart, and you disagree with the reasoning above, that's fine, but I don't think I'm going to change the rules, especially after seeing some of the responses here.

In particular, Armok, if you want to paint my brother as a stick-up-the-ass American prude without trying to have a discussion about what is obviously a defensible position independent of our own morality, you should recognize that you're the one having a knee-jerk reaction.

Yanlin, this isn't a tragic moment in the violence vs. sex debate.  You're just a juvenile dipshit who can't control himself.  You've been warned 11 times.  Somehow, you've been cut more slack than anybody else, but I'm through with letting you waste my time.  You're gone.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 03:35:51 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2009, 04:10:56 pm »

Wait, does this mean Yanlin is banned?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2009, 04:13:52 pm »

By the sound of it, yes, very much yes.

I didn't see that coming, but I guess that's exactly the point.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2009, 05:49:21 pm »

Yes, he was banned.  Twelve strikes is enough.  His response to light moderation, not even a PM warning, was to fan culture war flames and then straight flout it with another random peepee-in-poopoo joke.  Warnings didn't work and mutes didn't work.  I don't have any other tools that don't eat up even more of my time, like having to approve every one of his posts.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:28:57 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2009, 05:53:46 pm »

R.I.P. YANLIN

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2009, 06:33:48 pm »

Is it just me, or do more people get banned / muted / warned in my threads than others? It seems to happen to almost every other thread I create... It's kinda sad.

Anyway. I'm curious how people associated emotions with the gall bladder. Wonder what kind of thought process that would require...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2009, 06:35:00 pm »

Anywho, I wonder if I'm the only one who's thought this way, but you know when you see your significant other or whatnot for the first time in awhile, or you think about them when you first wake up, and your heart "leaps"? I've always thought that THAT was why the heart was associated with such feelings. It does kinda feel like it's the heart.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2009, 06:36:19 pm »

Now I don't know much about people, being Cthulhu, but I personally think love comes from the sternum.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5