Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Heart issue  (Read 6038 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Heart issue
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »

You know, I was wondering... was the word "heart" invented before people knew what the heart was? Or was that word only invented when people knew what it was?

You know how since forever, people have associated heart with love and feelings... But the question is, did they know what the heart was or were they guessing at some unknown thing inside their body which they assumed controlled those things?

So... what do you think? Do you think people created that word to express feelings before finding out that an organ existed in our chest, in which they just associate it to that? Or was that word only invented when they knew what it was?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Heart issue
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:41 pm »

I believe the ancient Greeks had done a lot of dissecting, and knew about the internal organs.  Looking through the body, they decided that the brain's job was to cool the blood (because it was crinkly and lost a lot of heat) and the heart's job was to control emotions (because, at times of high emotions, the beating speeds up).  Dunno if this is where our associatiosn come from though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:26:51 pm »

Could also be that European (and probably other?) cultures associated blood with intense emotions, humors and so forth.  Since all the blood moves through the heart, well it's gotta have something to do with emotion, right?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:32:54 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty certain that almost every culture associates blood and the heart with emotions. It's a universal thing, like alcohol... That's why I'm a bit confused. How can multiple cultures with extremely diverse backgrounds come up with the exact same associations?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:33:55 pm »

You know how since forever, people have associated heart with love and feelings

Actually, most people believed love came from the bowels in the early medieval era.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:36:32 pm »

You know how since forever, people have associated heart with love and feelings

Actually, most people believed love came from the bowels in the early medieval era.

Well, they knew the Hell they were talking about alright...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 01:00:13 pm »

What the fuck are you doing to this thread, Yanlin?

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure ancient people were cutting the hearts out of animals and other people long before they developed a written or spoken launguage.

If it was pulsating and spraying blood everywhere, I'm sure somebody got the idea that it was important somehow and maybe related to their own pulse and heartbeat...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 01:40:08 pm »

I believe another old belief as to the "emotional organ" was the liver.  Quite frankly, I'd love to see a Valentine's Day card with a liver on it.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 01:44:12 pm »

Well, back in the day they thought a woman's "special lady parts" caused female emotions and hysteria. Thats where the term 'Hysterectomy' comes from.

That'd be a really avant-garde thing to put on a post card for Valentine's day, btw.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 01:47:44 pm »

Well, back in the day they thought a woman's "special lady parts" caused female emotions and hysteria. Thats where the term 'Hysterectomy' comes from.

And the vibrator was invented as a tool to assist in curing hysteria.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 01:50:46 pm »

That'd be a really avant-garde thing to put on a post card for Valentine's day, btw.

More horrifically, the common idea of how to sure this hysteria was to, ahem, 'please' said parts. And thus was born the steam-powered vibrator.

But yes, a lot of interesting things happen with unrelated Human culture. Many accounts of inventions sprouting up in isolated areas of the globe. Many similar spiritualities popping up back when traveling between such places was impossible. There are functions of the human body that we don't fully understand, and likely never will thanks to the vagueness and rarity of such occurrences.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 02:08:45 pm »

Yeah, the heart beats.  It pulsates.  It spews blood everywhere if you cut it out.  It must be doing something important, right?  All the rest of the internal organs just sortof sit there, doing nothing.  Especially the lazy ass brain.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 02:10:56 pm »

Probably why people thought it would actually be helpful to jam a couple spikes into it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 03:48:03 pm »

Dammit Yanlin, stop it. We don't need another thread to derail in that direction.

I think the Egyptians thought the heart acted as the brain, and the brain was just useless mush.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5