Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 1152 1153 [1154] 1155 1156 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5126132 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: Volume 6: Heir Transparent
« Reply #17295 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:03 pm »

That still does not ensure that they are animals, in my opinion. Things can resemble other things without actually being them.
Prototyping causes imps to gain traits from the things they're prototyped with.  They've been prototyped with twelve different kinds of Alternian wildlife.  It would be unreasonable in the extreme if they weren't psychically considered a kind of wildlife at that point.

It has repeatedly been referred to that these traits are simply appearance alone. Take Jack Noir, Black Queen (Trolls' Arc)and Clubs Deuce for example. CD has a removable abdomenblade thing, while Jack Noir refused to wear his outfit. It has been stated that BQ/Snowman "tolerated" these changes, which means she did not welcome them and you can reasonably infer from the text that they are not mind-changing.

It was shown (pretty clearly, I thought) that the various 'monster' units were affected by the prototypings directly, while the agents like the kids' and trolls' exiles were unaffected by them without use of a ring or staff. To me, that makes the monsters animal-like and susceptible to Tavros while the higher units are humanoids that Vriska can manipulate.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17296 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:48 pm »

That still does not ensure that they are animals, in my opinion. Things can resemble other things without actually being them.
Prototyping causes imps to gain traits from the things they're prototyped with.  They've been prototyped with twelve different kinds of Alternian wildlife.  It would be unreasonable in the extreme if they weren't psychically considered a kind of wildlife at that point.

It has repeatedly been referred to that these traits are simply appearance alone. Take Jack Noir, Black Queen (Trolls' Arc)and Clubs Deuce for example. CD has a removable abdomenblade thing, while Jack Noir refused to wear his outfit. It has been stated that BQ/Snowman "tolerated" these changes, which means she did not welcome them and you can reasonably infer from the text that they are not mind-changing.

The underlings get more than just appearances from the prototypings. The kids do have imps teleporting around with Bec's powers, after all.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17297 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:55 pm »

Neither are imps, but Tavros can do them too.

he he he immaturity

The Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17298 on: January 14, 2011, 03:15:31 pm »

I'm betting it's going to be Jack getting up to more crazy shit, with a B-plot of Tavros taking on Vriska and kicking that bitch's ass.

Creepy misogyny, my favorite kind!

Well, she did toss him off a cliff. And have his Flarping buddy murdered by her boyfriend. And feed hundreds of trolls to her giant spider. And utterly destroy two Sburb sessions. Causing the deaths of everyone on Prospit twice seems like it should carry some repercussions.

Not that Tavros has a chance, of course. Vriska could wipe the floor with him. Assuming he even makes it to Vriska's inner sanctum.

You're right! I totally forgot that the fact that she's made unsavory choices makes it okay so call her a bitch! I bet she's probably a whore, too, right?

I don't care as much that everyone has creepy Tavros-beating-up-Vriska fantasies, but really. Using that sort of language just shows that you're an ass. There is no need to use gender specific insults. Had Vriska been a guy, she wouldn't be called a "bitch".

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17299 on: January 14, 2011, 03:22:23 pm »

I'm betting it's going to be Jack getting up to more crazy shit, with a B-plot of Tavros taking on Vriska and kicking that bitch's ass.

Creepy misogyny, my favorite kind!

Well, she did toss him off a cliff. And have his Flarping buddy murdered by her boyfriend. And feed hundreds of trolls to her giant spider. And utterly destroy two Sburb sessions. Causing the deaths of everyone on Prospit twice seems like it should carry some repercussions.

Not that Tavros has a chance, of course. Vriska could wipe the floor with him. Assuming he even makes it to Vriska's inner sanctum.

You're right! I totally forgot that the fact that she's made unsavory choices makes it okay so call her a bitch! I bet she's probably a whore, too, right?

I don't care as much that everyone has creepy Tavros-beating-up-Vriska fantasies, but really. Using that sort of language just shows that you're an ass. There is no need to use gender specific insults. Had Vriska been a guy, she wouldn't be called a "bitch".

O_O

Where did this rant come from? No, if she were a guy, she'd probably have been called an asshole. Or a dick. Because, yes, they are gender specific, but who gives a crap? I don't think Japa is hoping that Tavros kicks Vriska's ass because she's a girl. I think Japa is hoping that Tavros kicks Vriska's ass because she's a bitch jerkwad very bad person and is generally fucking shit up for everyone.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17300 on: January 14, 2011, 03:23:19 pm »

no, I would have used an entirely different insulting term that implies similar behavior. the fact that this particular insult is gender-specific does not imply that I am insulting her gender.

should I also not use the term 'Her' because it's gender specific?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #17301 on: January 14, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »

I normally wouldn't drop in. But really, bitch isn't that gender specific. People use the term on everyone. Hell I've called my sister a dick before.

Though I guess The captain is trying to white knight a fictional character. How sad. Either that or he's trying on some really bad faux feminism.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17302 on: January 14, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

I feel like I've said this before, but Janet I love you. Not because of your gender + internetz, but because of your intelligence + awesome.

The Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17303 on: January 14, 2011, 03:45:46 pm »

Man how could I have been so stupid! Of course using the word bitch isn't a problem.

Sorry guys, I don't know what came over me, thanks for talking some sense into me :]

(If I keep white knighting Vriska, do you think one day she'll love me?)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17304 on: January 14, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »

No.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17305 on: January 14, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »

No.
Well, she'll kill/cripple him, and for Vriska that's kind of like love. Sort of. From a certain point of view.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JordanBBad

• Bay Watcher
  • nyak nyak nyak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17306 on: January 14, 2011, 04:10:55 pm »

No.
Well, she'll kill/cripple him, and for Vriska that's kind of like love. Sort of. From a certain point of view.

Not an expert, but isn't that called a kismesisitude? In which case THAT WHORE what a teeeeeeeease!

The Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17307 on: January 14, 2011, 04:13:52 pm »

Karkat explicitly said Vriska hates too many people so that each one of her black flirtly relationships is hollow and two dimensional.

She could never love me.

Also because she's a fictional 13 year old alien girl and I have no idea where you people got the fact that I think using gender-specific insults is rude and uncalled for means that I'm white knighting her but okay.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17308 on: January 14, 2011, 05:05:02 pm »

Shut up, bitch.

Spoiler: bluh bluh (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I think a big reason why everyone thinks you're defending Vriska rather than defending language is that Andrew uses the word "bitch" quite often. Gamzee and Dave toss those bitches around like punctuation. Bitches everywhere in this bitch. Bitching about it seems kind of silly.

The Captain

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17309 on: January 14, 2011, 05:15:40 pm »

On the MSPA forums they just made calling any homestuck character a bitch an infractable offense (as long as you're not Hussie himself)

I'm just saying that if you're going to discuss the series, calling a character a "bitch" is a really easy way to get me to stop reading your posts.

Anyway this sub-discussion is stupid and I hope we all learned something today and now we can just chill until the flash comes out.
Pages: 1 ... 1152 1153 [1154] 1155 1156 ... 3524