Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325492 times)

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2009, 11:24:52 am »

In regards to materials, why not use an alpha channel/bump map? That way, the color can remain variable, but the material texture code can be interchangeable as per material it's made of.

IE- A table made of yellow stone would have a different texture (rough-textured BM, dull-ish, yellow) than a gold table (smooth, shiny BM, yellow). It should cut down on the amount of textures and coding required to mark them all,and hopefully should optimize it a bit.

I think this could even be used to differentiate between different glass/gem materials too; windows especially.
This is how it works already, more-or-less.

Do you have to hurry to get models into the viewer, or will everyone be able to make their own and simply replace the old files?
Models will be configured via a .csv file, so you can use your own.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2009, 04:17:01 pm »

Sounds like it's shaping up.  Did you get a chance to look at the matglossdump again?  I swear I cannot get that thing working right at all.  I don't know if it's only because I have custom minerals/stone, or if it's a general problem (Haven't had a chance to test in 100% pure 40d13 yet)
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2009, 07:20:37 pm »

Sounds like it's shaping up.  Did you get a chance to look at the matglossdump again?  I swear I cannot get that thing working right at all.  I don't know if it's only because I have custom minerals/stone, or if it's a general problem (Haven't had a chance to test in 100% pure 40d13 yet)

Shima, you should download 40d13, gen a world, pick any old site, and try it out. It won't take long. Because the program is in such early stages, Baboonanza can't really guarantee that it will handle non-default setups, and probably shouldn't spend much time trying to debug them at this point.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2009, 08:04:05 pm »

Shima, you should download 40d13, gen a world, pick any old site, and try it out. It won't take long. Because the program is in such early stages, Baboonanza can't really guarantee that it will handle non-default setups, and probably shouldn't spend much time trying to debug them at this point.
uh is 40d13 the new version? if not then i need a link to it.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2009, 08:12:32 pm »

Subbing for eye candy updates... ;D
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »

Well, by "haven't had a chance", I, of course, mean "Am too lazy".  I'll get around to it eventually.  I already have 40d13, but it's non-standard.

Oh Armok, the spice.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2009, 08:16:39 pm »

Well, by "haven't had a chance", I, of course, mean "Am too lazy".  I'll get around to it eventually.  I already have 40d13, but it's non-standard.
SHIMA!! Do you know where i can find 40d13??
EDIT: DO YOU!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!@>?!?!!?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:35:52 pm by x2yzh9 »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2009, 08:38:32 pm »

Up very slightly.

News: August 1, 2009: The August '09 Report is up.
News: July 6, 2009: OpenGL/SDL DF 40d13 is up for testing.
News: September 6, 2008: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d has been released.
Forum Guidelines

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841

After testing, I found that colors work perfectly in 100% vanilla.  I believe that the problem here lies in the dump from DF itself.  I've noticed that, using custom rock and such, trying to use the ingame Finder will crash it (Haven't tested vanilla yet).  The problem seems to stem from there.

Assuming this is the case, I'd recommend adding an option to the program itself, or a stand-alone that comes with it, that allows you to add entries and their colors/materials on your own to the .csv files.  I'd try it myself, but I can't decipher the dec. colors or whatever format they're in.  It wouldn't be as preferable as DF and/or the VisFort getting it right, but it's better than losing all my precious, precious minerals...

Oh Armok, the spice.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54:25 pm »

well i dont have any custom stuffs, just downloaded 40D13 and same error mesasge, guess it still needs to be fixed.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2009, 12:29:44 am »

well i dont have any custom stuffs, just downloaded 40D13 and same error mesasge, guess it still needs to be fixed.
Sounds like it's a computer-specific bug, because myself, as well as others running standard 40D13 have used the program without that particular problem.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2009, 12:13:37 pm »

I've found a rendering issue with Visual Fortress... It doesn't display blood in the water.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(The last image is an older picture and doesn't show the top of the Waterspike funnel sticking up over the top of the fort)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2009, 03:14:11 pm »

This app looks *awesome*! :) Can't wait to try it out at home. I especially like the terrain bumpiness, the fancy textures and models - I'm a sucker for eye candy. ;)

Also, that dam of yours in the first post looks insanely awesome.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »

Okay, I'm working on a (generic) statue model.  It's time for food, but after a nosh I'll put hands, an axe, and a texture on this dude (about 500 triangles, or 260-ish quads):

If that is too many polies, there is plenty of room for culling.

On the topic of textures being replaced, I agree with Inetlolor, though I suggest the given texture for the model is a grayscale image whose intensity values are overlayed on the specific material's texture.  With a separate version for stone, wood, and metal, of course.

If bump maps kill the rendering time, that is.  Otherwise, bump maps would be awesome.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2009, 05:48:41 pm »

Any chance of rendering clear glass as transparent or at least translucent? I'm on a succession game and my friend is mulling a glear or green glass megaproject. The answer may sway him... ;)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2009, 05:55:04 pm »

I see a problem with that statue.  There's no way to orient them in DF, they basically act as a cylinder - place then wherever you want and imagine what way they face.  Since they aren't oriented, that statue may very well face against walls and the like, depending on someone's fortress design.  The only way I could see it working like that, is if it's always aimed South (I noticed that people, especially myself, seem to orient things in such a way that they "face" south, so to speak).

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 90