Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325497 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2009, 04:28:51 am »

I personally think that, when smoothed, walls should be straight (Much like how constructed walls are perfectly straight).  The crenel/crossbow slit difference would be awesome, too.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2009, 05:15:50 am »

First of all, EPIC DAM you have in your screenie.
Second, can't use it right now, looked at the logs and concluded its a shader problem. WIll try it on my ubar gaming computer, wich has a broken power source wich i'll need to replace by lookin' around my house for a power source tomarrow.
And if it doesnt work i'll let ya know. Also, screenies look epic my friend, epic. They look like a modern  day RTS or such.. So good graphixxss!!!
EDIT: IF you wanted to know, this is the logz.
Anti-aliasing not available with 16 samples. Choosing best.
Anti-aliasing: 4x MSAA
Vertical sync disabled
Anisotropic filtering level 16
Loading vertex shader 'Default.vert'
Loading fragment shader 'MatGlossBlend.frag'
Failed to load shader Default.vert:MatGlossBlend.frag
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:47:55 am by x2yzh9 »

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2009, 08:12:26 am »

So here's an odd one.

Look at this section of my fort, the tombs, in DF :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now look at it in Visual Fortress :

Having every door at a 30 degree angle isn't quite dwarfy to me. No, that kind of.... TILTEDness is far more elfin than dwarfy.

Also, every time I load a map I get the following Non-fatal (It still loads and I can still zoom around) error :

"Unable to open image C:MyGamesDFVisual Fortress v0.701Texturestone smooth1.jpg" the file in the directory is a .png file. Not a major issue at all, but worth mentioning.

to fix the curving the only way is to disable noise
for solving the second problem go to data/tiletypes,csv and change all the "stone_smooth1.jpg" instances to "stone_smooth1.png"

It's probably because of the author's oversight.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2009, 09:09:15 am »

I get a strange black fungal plague!

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2009, 03:09:26 pm »

That ^ right there is related to transparency filtering I believe.

Holy crap this is way nicer.  However, the lighting is all very dark.  It is not aided by the fact that disabling shadows only turns off the light source, leaving only the ambient lighting.

May I suggest Light, a Detailed Tutorial?  Best one out there, I've checked most of them. It will actually increase anyone's knowledge of lighting, no matter how versed they are in 3d, art, etc.  It's not gonna help with the actual OpenGL code, but explain how to setup good lighting in any situation.  And a landscape can benefit so much from good lighting.  ;)

Also, an atmospheric fog option would be really cool, and I know that OpenGL supports it.  Since you're going all-out on the coloring, you could color appropriate for the surroundings of the region (if you can access that info).  Like, Joyous wilds have a bright sky blue atmosphere, and Untamed wilds have a yellowy savanna one.

Just musing there.  Best fix the bugs you already have.  :D

If you need a few 3D models here and there, I can help; just email me.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2009, 06:59:55 pm »

Ok, need help here looks like ima be stuck on this for another while so
"Failed to load terrain material..."
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 methinks
dunno graphics or VRAM but it should be sufficient
Log:
* C:\Documents and Settings\tiffany\Desktop\Visual Fortress v0.701\VisualFortress.exe 02.08.2009 14:49:22, user: Tiffany

Anti-aliasing not available with 16 samples. Choosing best.
Anti-aliasing: 4x MSAA
Vertical sync disabled
Anisotropic filtering level 16
Loading vertex shader 'Default.vert'
Loading fragment shader 'MatGlossBlend.frag'
Failed to load shader Default.vert:MatGlossBlend.frag
EDIT: Oh, ok, every time i ask for help no ones responds, :'(
EDIT: Someone needs to help me[ie. the creator]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:00:18 pm by x2yzh9 »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »

If possible, be sure to also include a screencap function as well in the future. With options including either to include atmospheric backgrounds (when developed) with the cap, or not (IE- transparent BG, possible PNG saves) in case anyone feels like including a custom BG via Photoshop or something. I dunno.

Printscreen/paint method gets annoying after awhile.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2009, 04:30:55 am »

I'm going to have to stop replying to everyone as there's too many posts, but I'll try and cover the main points.

Sorry I haven't been able to help with the 'unable to load terrain material bug. I would help if I had any idea what was causing it. I can only add more debugging stuff to the next release and trim down the shaders a bit.

The same applies to the black polygon problem, though I have at least seen something similar before. These problems are really difficult to resolve if I can't reproduce them on a test machine.

Lighting: The current implementation is pretty dodgy, I've been focused mainly on getting something simple that looks adequate while I develop the rest of the app and I fully intend to improve it (thanks for the link!). One additional problem here is that I'm limited by having to use the same lighting model for internal and external areas and there is no information to provide additional light sources inside, so its always going to be a bit of a bodge to make both look decent. I'm going to add some lighting controls (brightness mainly) for the next release. Disablng shadowing is supposed to keep the diffused lighting, so maybe thats a bug.

Screenshots: This was always in my plan, I just haven't got around to it yet. So much to do!

Tiles blending into each other: I actually implemented this in the first version of this project by blending textures together but abandoned it for the following reasons:
- It actually doesn't look that good, and is fairly slow to render
- Applying material colours to the textures is difficult. Either a very complex shader or pre-multiplied textures (potentially lots of VRAM and long startup) is needed.
- You need to build adjaceny tables for all the tiles so that you know what to blend with. This is both slow and cumbersome and makes implemention other features difficult or impossible.

The usual approach used for landscapes of basing the blending on vertex colors/attributes doesn't really work here because colours are applied on a tile (not vertex) basis. You could sum and average the colours on each vertex and then smooth them across the faces but my guess is that this would look terrible. If I find/come up with a better way I'll add it.

Smooth walls having noise applied is a bug and I've fixed it already in my version. As is the jpg/png problem.

Fortifications now have slits in the walls (using Impaler[WrG]s suggested design) if there is something above them.

I'll be releasing a new version with many changes later this week (I've had to delay this slightly), hopefully Wednesday. This next version will support single tile buildings and bridges, but I need models for these (except bridges). If anyone would like to create some furniture (table, chair etc) models that would be awesome :)
The specification:
- .obj format please.
- +z is up since this fits with DF best, +x is right, y+ is depth.
- Consider a tile to be (-0.5, -0.5, 0.0) to (0.5, 0.5, 1.0). Models should fit in this space but by no means take up all of it. For instance a chair would probably look best if it was about a third to a half as big as the tile.
- There is code to ensure that buildings are oriented in sensible ways (chairs face tables for instance), and for this to work the models should face towards -y.
- You can use multiple materials but the first material/submesh will have it's material modified at runtime to reflect the material the building is constructed out of. You can supply additional textures if necessary but I would prefer to keep the number of textures to a minimum.
- The models and texture must either be all your own work or you must provide a link to the source so that I can verify that they are usable. If your own work you must be happy to have them distributed under the BSD license, though you will be credited.

Don't worry too much about to orientation and size requirements as I can fix these if necessary, I'd just rather not have to :)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2009, 05:28:42 am »

I've got the models for table's and stools, i just haven't been able to upload them yet due to my internet sucking. Now that i know that chairs will be rotated, i can make actual chairs/thrones

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2009, 05:59:42 am »

Oh god I can't wait. Little dwarven bedrooms and legendary dining halls, here we come! Ooh ooh, will 3D models for supports be included? And can we maybe make smoothed single tiles with no adjacent walls look like pillars?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2009, 06:39:42 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1295

here a table and a stool.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2009, 07:03:04 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1295

here a table and a stool.
Spledid, cheers!

Oh god I can't wait. Little dwarven bedrooms and legendary dining halls, here we come! Ooh ooh, will 3D models for supports be included? And can we maybe make smoothed single tiles with no adjacent walls look like pillars?
Yes. Maybe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2009, 07:15:55 am »

Also, for some reason the dump from DF acts a bit glitchy sometimes with the Mayday set.

Sometimes when I try to dump the map to the application, it gives me the suppourted version not found error, but when I move around a bit or something, it goes through. I have no idea why it does this because it does load the map, but moving around a bit or unpausing/pausing gets it to work after a bit of fiddling around.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2009, 10:21:00 am »

In regards to materials, why not use an alpha channel/bump map? That way, the color can remain variable, but the material texture code can be interchangeable as per material it's made of.

IE- A table made of yellow stone would have a different texture (rough-textured BM, dull-ish, yellow) than a gold table (smooth, shiny BM, yellow). It should cut down on the amount of textures and coding required to mark them all,and hopefully should optimize it a bit.

I think this could even be used to differentiate between different glass/gem materials too; windows especially.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:00:29 am by Itnetlolor »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2009, 10:53:47 am »

Do you have to hurry to get models into the viewer, or will everyone be able to make their own and simply replace the old files?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 90