Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: You have struck Microcline!  (Read 10882 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck Microcline!
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 02:07:38 pm »

What about obsidian hmm?

Not to mention stonecrafters would be non-existent as well....

Glassworking would be a massive industry for sure though.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 02:16:55 pm »

Personally I wish Microline would only spawn BELOW the primarily level, I don't mind it, much, having blue stone allows you to add color to a Fortress, BUT it always seems to crop up in the most annoying spots! You'll be digging out your grand central Dinning room and BAM half way in Microline!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 02:20:34 pm »

But if you removed stone...

Urist and everyone:WHAT IS MICROLINE
Miner:*shrugs*
Humans and elves:Seriously the rock extractor worked?NO STONES FOR DWARVES!?*cheering*

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 02:23:54 pm »

It seems REALLY strange. I did take out the gem matgloss file, but I left the METAL matgloss in and took out the MINERAL matgloss.

The end result is that, somehow, metal is still available. It seems to me that civilizations automatically have access to metals or some crazy shit like that, which implies you may be able to trade for them, and that siegers may arrive wearing metal gear. I'm not sure about that-I'm not going to play enough to find out, because I have other fortresses to deal with-but there you go. I was CERTAINLY able to pick up metal items on the embark screen, including metal bars, so it's somehow available.

As I said before, the gist that I got was that the game doesn't check to see if the civilization has access to the mineral in question for availability purposes. Because in this case, the minerals sure as hell weren't available.

EDIT: Checked in a soil area. Even in the woods, digging down a few layers gets you to "rock" placeholder materials.

Also oddly, there seems to be an absolutely absurd amount of aquifer in this world. It took me a minute to find a non-mountain biome which didn't have one. Kinda strange.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:30:14 pm by kefkakrazy »
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 02:27:21 pm »

I personally feel that the stone messages are charming, as they indicate how interested, passionate one might say, the dwarves are in matters of geology. But is it so difficult to hit spacebar? 

Try that when you're managing a battle and you snap down below the surfaces every couple of frames...

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 03:03:16 pm »

I nearly had a seizure when I got this message once. It wasn't the message on its own, but it was a few tiles on from platinum that my dwarves had NOT decided to tell me about.

Platinum, okay. Adamantine, okay. But it's the Microcline, Orthoclase and Alunite that make me want to throw a pick through my monitor like dwarf in the the intro movie.

A warning about striking Platinum is good because I need to adjust my dig orders and forbid any stones lying around so my dwarves don't spend years trying to haul that stuff around.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 04:06:10 pm »

Toady is probably going to implement something that allows you to selectively turn off warnings on things.  The ability to turn off warnings for microcline, orthoclase, and mica but nothing else would be rather handy.

If that hasn't been planned yet it should be.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »

I nearly had a seizure when I got this message once. It wasn't the message on its own, but it was a few tiles on from platinum that my dwarves had NOT decided to tell me about.

Platinum, okay. Adamantine, okay. But it's the Microcline, Orthoclase and Alunite that make me want to throw a pick through my monitor like dwarf in the the intro movie.

A warning about striking Platinum is good because I need to adjust my dig orders and forbid any stones lying around so my dwarves don't spend years trying to haul that stuff around.

I think you missed the point. I would've liked a message about the platinum...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2009, 01:49:50 am »

No, we're in agreement!

There are metal ores, there are economic stones, and then there is everything else. I don't see why I need to be told that my dwarves hit a vein of a stone that may be of a different color ... or is the same color but has a different name. Discovery of ores or economics might change my digging plans, but the other stones hardly will.

It's especially annoying with microcline. Unless you had a computer in the 80s with a CGA adapter, you probably find cyan to be one of the ugliest colors known to man. Blue is even my favorite color, but not THAT blue. I had a Commodore. The IBM people were frikkin' colorblind. I dump my stones and tear down my cyan walls while mumbling "we don't need no education" to myself. Occaisionally I play the air guitar or trash my hotel room.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 04:01:28 pm »

I like microcline :'(
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2009, 05:48:32 pm »

My main beef with microcline is it seems to appear where I expect magnetite when I'm scouting embarks.

That, orthoclase, and mica.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009, 08:21:05 pm »

No, we're in agreement!

There are metal ores, there are economic stones, and then there is everything else. I don't see why I need to be told that my dwarves hit a vein of a stone that may be of a different color ... or is the same color but has a different name. Discovery of ores or economics might change my digging plans, but the other stones hardly will.

It's especially annoying with microcline. Unless you had a computer in the 80s with a CGA adapter, you probably find cyan to be one of the ugliest colors known to man. Blue is even my favorite color, but not THAT blue. I had a Commodore. The IBM people were frikkin' colorblind. I dump my stones and tear down my cyan walls while mumbling "we don't need no education" to myself. Occaisionally I play the air guitar or trash my hotel room.

I like how this post gradually slid into madness, much like a certain fellow named Floyd.

As for the alerts on stones, I see no reason why it couldn't simply be added in the existing "Stones" submenu in the Z-menu. It wouldn't even be that hard to code in.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2009, 03:19:47 am »

No, we're in agreement!

I like how this post gradually slid into madness, much like a certain fellow named Floyd.

As for the alerts on stones, I see no reason why it couldn't simply be added in the existing "Stones" submenu in the Z-menu. It wouldn't even be that hard to code in.
Ah, but which one's Pink?
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 03:54:54 am »

Oddly, I like Cyan, and maybe it does have something to do with growing up in the C64 era.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2009, 05:41:51 am »

I too like cyan.
However, I grew up with Windows 98.
I also love microcline.
It is awesome.
And not as eye-shattering as most people think.
Look it up on google image.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4