Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620450 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.6 6/29/10 see first post)
« Reply #1530 on: July 14, 2010, 07:51:14 pm »

I thought that DT was open source under the MIT licensing?

Meaning anyone could modify and release (or etc) their own modified version of the code provided?
Well sure. But the name is copyrighted. You wouldn't download Firefox and then repackage it as Firefox. If you're going to fork it, fork it all the way. Set up your own support site, make your own bugtracker etc... Don't just steal the work.

Anyhow 0.5.7 is up. See first page.
Actually, legally speaking you can't copyright a name.  You can trademark it, but that requires money and paperwork
DIE TOPIC!!  DIE!!

Lol, he's right.. woulda been nice to have him when i cared enough to argue.

But regarding the latest release, I had some weird problems last night with custom profession names not updating when i did a large number of changes. I'll see if i can reproduce it and if so will post a report.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)
« Reply #1531 on: July 14, 2010, 09:52:16 pm »

Just wondering about this (and I apologise profusely if the answer is somewhere on google code), but how come every time I update to a new version, my custom professions are still available?  When I update, I delete any previous versions.

Where is the data stored?

I'm pretty sure it's in your settings folders for your windows profile (on a typical windows install, C:\documents and settings\%user name%\... ) but I am not on my computer with DF stuff on it to check for it.

--edit--

I should be home to check on my computer and check if I'm right in about an hour, if someone else hasn't yet gone to the trouble of confirming the exact location by then.

The mystery... Revealed!

your custom professions are stored in the "Dwarf Therapist.ini" file which is located in %documents and settings%\[User name]\Application Date\UDP Software.

They're at the end of the file, after GUI options

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 14, 2010, 10:21:04 pm »

I would like you to go back 7 (8 if you include this post) posts and read the quoted part.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 14, 2010, 11:37:25 pm »

I would like you to go back 7 (8 if you include this post) posts and read the quoted part.

Sorry, I missed that, probably because it didn't quote the post to which it was replying.

At least the name of the file the settings are stored in is new information.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 14, 2010, 11:53:38 pm »

Sorry, I missed that, probably because it didn't quote the post to which it was replying.

this is an awfully hostile thread.. and alot of it seems to be directed at honest mistakes and people trying to help.. cool guys

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 15, 2010, 07:50:49 am »

this is an awfully hostile thread.. and alot of it seems to be directed at honest mistakes and people trying to help.. cool guys
I'm being very helpful.  I have been posting links for people who can't be bothered to scan back a page or two... and I helped people look back 7 posts to find the exact location they were looking for but read right over.

If they aren't reading, I don't know what else I can do to help.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 15, 2010, 08:30:31 am »

Personally I have always found that telling someone where to find the answer to their question without actually answering it is rude. For instance lets assume this next quote is actually an implied question. I could answer this post using that tactic to show how rude it seems.

I'm being very helpful.  I have been posting links for people who can't be bothered to scan back a page or two... and I helped people look back 7 posts to find the exact location they were looking for but read right over.

If they aren't reading, I don't know what else I can do to help.

Why dont you read a book on psychology or something. Here how about I just post a link for you instead since you cant even be bothered to waste your precious time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycology

See how rude that seems? It shouldnt seem rude but it does just because of how impersonal that response is. Well, I may have exaggerated it with the last part to prove a point but still.

Posting just the links as if a FAQ is a good start though but if someone comes in and asked the question in spite of it why not just post the direct answer. It takes just as long as posting a snide comment and a redirect to the answer.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 15, 2010, 10:48:41 am »

Why dont you read a book on psychology or something. Here how about I just post a link for you instead since you cant even be bothered to waste your precious time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycology

See how rude that seems? It shouldnt seem rude but it does just because of how impersonal that response is. Well, I may have exaggerated it with the last part to prove a point but still.

Posting just the links as if a FAQ is a good start though but if someone comes in and asked the question in spite of it why not just post the direct answer. It takes just as long as posting a snide comment and a redirect to the answer.
It only seems rude because you are referring to something that is not in this thread and has nothing to do with the application in question.  All the information is here... it doesn't require outside resources (but I'm providing a more direct link to the resources which are not books... and they are not pages in length... it's 4 questions and 4 answers.)  The instructions for mapping a new version are well laid out in a set of lists that are easy to follow and don't require hours of reading.

The person that asked the question about finding the file was given the information by Janus RIGHT AFTER their post, yet someone seemed to feel that it wasn't answered yet because they didn't read it(?)

If someone can't read, I don't know what else to say.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 15, 2010, 12:48:01 pm »

This thread reminds me of my change Fahrenheit to Celsius suggestion that turned into a thousand page flamewar.

I'm starting to form the opinion that this thread should be locked and abandoned.  Then chmod could start a new announcement-only thread and keep it locked except when he puts up a post.

This mix of announcements, support, debate, and lecturing is not working for me.

And from what I understand, he wants actual support issues to be on the dedicated forum he set up.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 15, 2010, 12:58:40 pm »

And from what I understand, he wants actual support issues to be on the dedicated forum he set up.
That's what I understood as well, but locking this will only encourage the people who didn't read to start their own threads... so it's a battle of futility.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 15, 2010, 01:29:03 pm »

The person that asked the question about finding the file was given the information by Janus RIGHT AFTER their post, yet someone seemed to feel that it wasn't answered yet because they didn't read it(?)

I read it, I just missed that it was an answer to the question.  And, to be fair, my answer did include information that was not in the first answer.  There is nothing wrong in having multiple answers if they are not incorrect answers.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:06 pm »

I read it, I just missed that it was an answer to the question.  And, to be fair, my answer did include information that was not in the first answer.  There is nothing wrong in having multiple answers if they are not incorrect answers.

No point in arguing, andir is the self proclaimed thread whore in this great tools thread. So no point in trying to prove ur point to him

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 15, 2010, 04:21:07 pm »

No point in arguing, andir is the self proclaimed thread whore in this great tools thread. So no point in trying to prove ur point to him
That's me!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 15, 2010, 08:02:25 pm »

Hey Chmod, I made a tiny little AHK script I would be honored if you distributed to users having problems with dwarf therapist saving information between versions and going wonky.

I call it "Reset TheRapist"  and it just basicly is a fancy dialog box that recycles their %appdata%\udp software\ dwarf therapist.ini file.  For now I know it works on windows 7, but I don't know about other versions of windows.   
Reset TheRapist

Hope people can get at least a tiny bit of use from it!
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1544 on: July 15, 2010, 08:07:09 pm »

I'd think that this would be something better built directly into the program myself.  Not that it's a bad idea, it's just not likely to be a terribly common problem.  And it shouldn't take more than five minutes to implement in any case.  It just seems silly to have a 200k utility to essentially delete a file.

And the capitalization is troublesome.  It's funny (the first few times anyways) when it's not so direct, but the way you have it there's no way to read Therapist instead of The Rapist.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 124