Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Starting builds!  (Read 4846 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Starting builds!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 04:05:50 am »

miner with a bit of swimming skill X2

Care to explain that second part?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 04:40:42 am »

I assume he means he has a miner who also has swimming skill, though I don't remember being able to increase swimmer from embark.

dorfstep

• Bay Watcher
  • Dubstepper For Life
    • View Profile
    • My Tripstep/Freak Folk Music
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 04:48:34 am »

I assume he means he has a miner who also has swimming skill, though I don't remember being able to increase swimmer from embark.

You can, IIRC.

Maybe it's for those tragic exploding moat accidents... or if that one dwarf falls into the well?
My Freak Folk/Tripstep Projects

“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
~Ram Dass

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 04:59:26 am »

I have modded in the domestic animals Pig and Chicken for both Dwarfs and Humans, Humans also getting Water Buffalo (can't remember where from). Nothing else in the Plants or such for Dwarfs but for Humans a whole line of different Real Name plants for growing...

Dwarfs... (Straight from the Init Folder File)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because i normally start on Magma Pipes for my Fortresses I generally forgo the Anvil cause a Ton load of Obsidian Rock Crafts/Mugs/Instruments/Toys normally get me two or so if I want it, but normally I leave that for later when the Humans bring some...

Humans... (also from a Separate folder due to different Raws)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone Builds while the Woodcutters cut wood for more buildings. Normally its a 12X10 Warehouse with a single basement around the Wagons deloy spot if its well placed, with enough to build an office and bedroom for the Boss, everyone sleeps in the warehouse till each of their homes are being built adjacent to their workstations, Burrows when released will make this easier...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:05:45 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 05:20:34 am »

Play Now! for the win! I almost never prepare carefully. But thats cause I'm lazy and I cant be bothered actually micromanaging anything. But it works fine.

Endek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:51 am »

I don't spend any points on skills, instead I get them to level up on the job, maybe it makes my forts a bit slow to start, but since I rarely hit trouble until year 2 or 3 by then it's moot.

I don't remember all of the exact values, but here's my usual embark profile:
- 1 Anvil
- 2 Copper Picks
- Lots of lignite
- Half as much hematite as lignite
- 1 Charcoal
- 20 of each type of booze
- 50 plump helmet spawn
- 20 of every other kind of seeds
- Craploads of towercap logs
- No edible food (the draught animals feed my dorfs until suchtimes as farming is up and running)

Spending so many embark points on metallurgy pays for itself almost immediately.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 11:27:23 am »

The only points I spend on Dwarve skills are a point of Appraiser on who will end up being my trader.

I then concentrate on a wide variety of meats, seeds(15 each type I can), some turtles and silk incase of an early mood, Tons of wood.

I generally sell one my axes For even more supplies.

When I arrive I set up 2 dwarves with mining(assuming I kept both picks).  One of the miners I transition to stone crafting once I'm ready to start up crafting.

One dwarf responsible for carpentry, wood cutting, bow crafting is usually sufficient(especially after I train my trading to pull in 30+ logs a trip and have enough metal production to make all the metal barrels/chests I need).  If I'm going somewhere heavily forrested a stand alone Wood Cutter may be worthwhile.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 11:41:30 am »

You can, IIRC.

Maybe it's for those tragic exploding moat accidents... or if that one dwarf falls into the well?

Yea, i found that with my default fortress setup, when i try to do stuff with water the miners drown. This is a typical fort  i make: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-6385-paperdips
The tunnel with the drawbridge in has floodgates at the other end to trap invaders in a killing zone.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 11:49:02 am »

It only really seems worthwhile to invest points into one miner to start but bring 3-4x picks. The other miners will train up quickly enough and the trained one can be responsible for mining any ore early on. This frees up your training for hard to level skills like armorer, weaponsmith, etc.

Also 1 axe seems to be enough to start. Even a single skilled woodcutter without any other tasks can deforest a huge area in a short amount of time.

Starting anvil only if there's magma + lots of trees on the map and its relatively safe to harvest them. Otherwise I'd save on the anvil and buy more logs. You can never have enough logs.

Bauxite is a good pickup too.

Other than that fill up on Logs, Animals, Food, Seeds, and Drink for more barrels.

I never really saw the draw for bringing some copper along.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 01:14:05 pm »

You need 2 miners for my fortress design. Also i could never understand people wanting to buy wood, can't you just chop down some trees (apart from a map with no trees ofc). It's a bit of a waste of money.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 02:07:50 pm »

The # of trees you can go through for a map is absurd. Like I said you can never have too much it's always useful for things like Pearlash (clear glass), Obsidian Short Swords, Beds, Windmills, Bins, Barrels, or failing all that ammo.

Just because you only invest 5 points into mining for 1 dwarf doesn't mean you only have 1 miner either. An unskilled miner will still clear rock just at a slower rate at first. Unless you reeeaalllly need all your digging done in one year (ha!) or a ton of ore right off the bat the little slowness of mining at the start isn't going to hurt.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 02:25:12 pm »

You need 2 miners for my fortress design. Also i could never understand people wanting to buy wood, can't you just chop down some trees (apart from a map with no trees ofc). It's a bit of a waste of money.

A. Wood is relatively cheap, and having enough for barrels, bins, beds, charcoal(3x so if you don't have magma) is critical to your fort's ability to function early in the game. Also
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 03:42:25 pm »

Miner/Leader               (negociation, judge of intent, persuasion)
Miner/Siege Engineer    (Raising that skill is a pain, and I don't want my miners doing other important jobs)
Farmer/Brewer             (I really don't get why so many builds have two farmers. One is more than adequate)
Mason/Mechanic x2      (For quicker built defenses, aquaducts, and magmaducts)
Carpenter/Woodcutter  (Perhaps unnecessary, but I like my logging done quickly so they don't die in ambushes)
Leatherworker/Stonecrafter (Good leather armor for the military and lots of trade goods, steal armor tends to be needed after some immigrant becomes a legend)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 04:08:23 pm »

My latest fortress is from a survival challenge issued by my friend.

7 unskilled dwarves, an iron anvil, and 2 copper nuggets.

Hope you have exposed magma...
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 04:19:13 pm »

I'm a big fan of ditching all but one pick and taking hematite, copper nuggets or bars and then making what you need. What you save on the weapons you can spend on more food or wood.

My current preferred embark profile is a slightly modified version of the 'fast expansion' build on the wiki.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5