Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Starting builds!  (Read 4834 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Starting builds!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 05:22:53 pm »

My latest fortress is from a survival challenge issued by my friend.

7 unskilled dwarves, an iron anvil, and 2 copper nuggets.

Hope you have exposed magma...

Nope... he chose the site as well. A glacier butted up against a mountain with no trees to be found anywhere.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:30 pm »

Why are some people posting human embarks now? I think the guy will just use dorfs until he gets the hang of it and I just put mine because I really hate it when a Legendary Dwarf Crossbowman in my watchtower in my meeting hall goes tantrum for not drinking enough vodka beer.

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:17 pm »

Mining 1 / Leather Working 4 / Metalcrafting 5
Mining 1 / Mason 4 / Metalsmithing 5
Mining 1 / Mechanic 4 / Weaponsmithing 5
Mining 1 / Stonecrafter 4 / Armorsmithing 5 Judge of Intent 1 / App. 1 / Neg. 1 / Design 1 / Woodcraft 1 / Carpenter 5
Dyer 1 / Cook 3 / Grower 3 / Thresher 3
Clothier 2 / Brewer 3 / Grower 3 / Weaver 2

No Anvil / No Wood
6 picks / 2 axes
70+ turtles, 120+ alcohol / 4 dogs, 2 cats
35 leather and 1 of each 2 dwarfbuck meat (for the barrels) oh and 31 seeds of each crop
If you move fast, (especially with flux or obsidian) you can make enough crafts to buy an anvil from the first caravan

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 11:55:15 pm »

1. miner
2. general metalworking/ minor mason
3. mason
4. carpender/woodcutting/minor woodworking
5. stonecrafting / minor misc. crafting(not wood, or metal)
6. engineer/minor miner
7. Planter/grower

dorfstep

• Bay Watcher
  • Dubstepper For Life
    • View Profile
    • My Tripstep/Freak Folk Music
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 12:01:37 am »

Why are some people posting human embarks now? I think the guy will just use dorfs until he gets the hang of it and I just put mine because I really hate it when a Legendary Dwarf Crossbowman in my watchtower in my meeting hall goes tantrum for not drinking enough vodka beer.

I love humans right now, I guess.

Although I'll probably get bored of them soon enough. I don't feel as epic when I use MAGMA
My Freak Folk/Tripstep Projects

“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
~Ram Dass

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »

I'm gonna try this tongiht since my last fort was just wiped out by orcs.

This seems tough though.

Break down wagon
Make wood furnace and smelter out of copper ore
Burn the 3 wood from wagon into charcoal
Break down wood furnace
Smelt the copper
Break down smelter
Make forge with copper ore
Make copper pick
Break down forge

This leaves you with 1 copper pick, 1 anvil, 1 copper ore and 1 charcoal. Since this isn't even enough to make an axe (need one more charcoal) you need to find either lignite or bituminous coal. I'm going to add one unit of tower cap wood to this
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 09:11:25 pm »

Carpenter 5/Axedwarf 5 - Woodcutter and carpenter. The Axedwarf is mostly in case of hostiles while woodcutting, but is also useful in case of thieves.

Brewer 5/Grower 5

Cook 5/Grower 5 - I've considered changing at least one of these. I usually put these guys on plant gathering until I get my farms set up.

Appraiser 5/Weaponsmith 5 - Actually, I've considered changing this one too. Weaponsmith is rather useful as it's annoying to train. Appraiser isn't really that useful, and goes up a lot after the first trade. However, having at least 1 gives you the import/export wealth, I believe.

Mason 5/Mechanic 5 - Mason is fairly self explanatory. Mechanic is simply because mechanics are fun, but I might change that if I find something better.

Miner 5/Armorsmith 5 - Miner trains fairly fast, but I like to get my fort dug out quickly. Armorsmith is another annoying to train skill, and useful as well.

Ambusher 5/Armoruser 5 - Almost certainly going to change this one. Hunting isn't really that useful without a full time butcher, and it doesn't really need to be trained. However, it does get me free equipment. I might just go with 1 ambusher and 4 marksdwarf. Armoruser is a pain to train, and is useful if he goes hunting.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I usually don't bring an axe and just bootstrap one. I do bring a pick, as it's nice to be digging out my fort while the other dwarfs take care of making another axe and a pick. I'm still sussing out how much food and alcohol to bring, and what other stuff to use my points for.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:13:49 pm by jokermatt999 »

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 02:42:28 am »

What's being used in my current fort:

Miner5/Weaponsmith1/JoI1/Appraiser1/Persuader1
Carpenter5/Woodcutter5
Mason5/Designer5
Armortsmith5/Weaponsmith5
Gatherer5/Mechanic5
Grower5/Cook4/Armorsmith1
Grower5/Brewer4/Weaponsmith1

There are a few modifications I'll be using for any newer forts, but that's the general skill setup. Only for sure modification would be changing the WS secondaries to AS as I train a *ton* of moodable WS's while making my training weapons.

I forget the exact item setup, but I'm pretty sure it had something along the lines of:

~20-30 bauxite
(Possibly?) ~10-20 wood
3-5 picks
1 axe
10-20 of each of the seeds
~21 of each drink
~65 total meat (15-25 shells, 20-30 fish, bunch of single stacks of misc meat)
1-3 ropes
2-3 dogs
2-3 horses

I might be missing a few items there and the numbers are most likely off, but I'm going entirely from memory. Off the top of my head, I know I can reduce the amount of food I bring as well as replace the ropes with the much cheaper thread and make the ropes on site. I always bring a ton of bauxite as that tends to be a bitch to import significant quantities of and I tend to overdo my magma control systems. Unless of course I'm embarking on a location that will likely contain bauxite, in which case I just bring a handful to get the initial setup complete.

Also, I realize I bring along several skills that are easily leveled, but I don't start exporting crafts until I decide to start training some random peasant in order to make obsidian short swords or high quality glass furniture, so that's one major sector completely removed. For the first several years I rely almost entirely on mechanism exports to buy needed items. Other useful skills (Engraving for instance) I tend to assign a few of my first wave to and let them focus only on skilling up (In the engraving example, I tend to have them smooth almost every surface in the fort before having them do actual engravings).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 03:53:16 am »

This seems tough though.

Break down wagon
Break down wood furnace
Smelt the copper
Break down smelter
Make copper pick
Break down forge

This leaves you with 1 copper pick, 1 anvil, 1 copper ore and 1 charcoal. Since this isn't even enough to make an axe (need one more charcoal) you need to find either lignite or bituminous coal. I'm going to add one unit of tower cap wood to this

Alternative:

Break down wagon.
Use copper ore to make wood burner.
Make 2 charcoal, 1 ashes.
Make smelter from ashes.
Smelt copper bars.
Break down wood burner, make forge.
Forge copper axe.
Cut down 2 more trees and use them to make pick.

Win

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 07:21:18 am »

This seems tough though.

Break down wagon
Break down wood furnace
Smelt the copper
Break down smelter
Make copper pick
Break down forge

Alternative:

Break down wagon.
Use copper ore to make wood burner.
Make 2 charcoal, 1 ashes.
Make smelter from ashes.
Smelt copper bars.
Break down wood burner, make forge.
Forge copper axe.
Cut down 2 more trees and use them to make pick.

Win

I fear it is more like fail in the example given. Why?

Nope... he chose the site as well. A glacier butted up against a mountain with no trees to be found anywhere.

Although if there were trees, your version would work nicely. :)

cdog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 10:48:28 am »

- (1) Appraiser/Trader/Consoler
- (6) Peasants

- (1) Anvil
- (2) Dogs
- (2) Cats
- (5) Plump Helmets
- (15) Plump Helmet Spawn
- (20) Dwarven Rum

If I'm embarking in a barren area like a glacier, I'll bring some wood with me as well.

Once I embark, everyone's jobs are set to do everything (except fishing, hunting, and trapping.  Too dangerous.)  The only differences are mining and wood chopping, where (4) are set to mine and (3) are set to cut trees.

I don't specialize jobs until I have a few migrant waves.

Brodiggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:12 am »

This seems tough though.

Break down wagon
Break down wood furnace
Smelt the copper
Break down smelter
Make copper pick
Break down forge

This leaves you with 1 copper pick, 1 anvil, 1 copper ore and 1 charcoal. Since this isn't even enough to make an axe (need one more charcoal) you need to find either lignite or bituminous coal. I'm going to add one unit of tower cap wood to this.

You might be interested in my usual starting build, reposted here from some long forgotten thread...

Quote from: Brodiggan
Here's my usual start. Of course some of this might be altered a bit depending on the site, a site with no sand/magma has no need for a glassmaker, for instance, and I'd change that out for Armorsmith. Each dwarf has the skills I buy listed, followed by the jobs I turn on as soon as I arrive, and let them learn via experience. Everyone mines, except for the woodcutter, until I have the basic squared away, then I usually trim it down to just whichever dwarves aren't busy (the mason, if there's an aquifer, the glassmaker if I can't reach magma easily, etc.)

Mason/Mechanic 5/5 (Gemcutting, Gemsetting, Stonecrafter added on arrival)
Glassmaker/Weaponsmith 5/5 (Blacksmith, Metalsmith, Armorsmith, added on arrival)
Herbalist/Axedwarf 5/5 (Woodcutter, Animal Care, Animal Trainer, Carpenter, added on arrival)
Grower/Clothier 5/5 (Asher added on arrival, this one has fewer jobs because he's going to be BUSY running the farms)
Brewer/Weaver 5/5 (Miller, Thresher, Dyer, added on arrival)
Cook/Leatherworker 5/5 (Butcher, Tanner, Bonecrafter on arrival)

And last an Expedition Leader/Broker with 10 social skills at 1, always including Appraiser, Judge of Intent, Organizer, Pacifier, and Consoler, and never including Record Keeper. The others I just choose to fit the Dwarfs personality traits. I leave out Record Keeper because it's so easy to skill up later. This dwarf also does all the scut work as my fortress' hauler/miner, until I get more immigrants.

I bring a pair of war dogs and a pair of cats, the war dogs have saved my ass several times on bad starts, and the cats are just too useful for killing off vermin.

For supplies I bring at least 10-20 of every underground seed, and a total of 101 or so units of booze (arranged according to dwarven preferences). I bring 1 of every 2 cost meat for the free barrels (of course), and 14 or so turtles (for the shells and bones).

I bring an anvil, 1 hematite or magnetite, 6 malachite, 6 Bituminous Coal, and 10+ Bauxite. As soon as I hit the ground, everyone except my herbalist temporarily gets Woodburning/Furnace Operating/Architect/Mason turned on, and while he gathers the local plant life they build 2 wood furnaces, 2 smelters, deconstruct the wagon, and build a metalsmith's forge, then burn two of the wagon logs into charcoal. Then two dwarves deconstruct the wood furnaces, two process coal into coke, and the other two build two more smelters. Once all four smelters are up, they each process one of the remaining coal into coke, then start smelting the hematite and malachite into iron and copper. After the first round of smelting, the Weaponsmith starts cranking out an iron axe and 6 copper picks.

It takes a second or two, but the instant rollout of heavy industry is just about as Dwarfey as you can get, and a set of picks and a steel battle axe would cost 420, where this costs 78 (24 for the Hematite, 36 for 6 Malachite, 18 for 6 Bituminous Coal)

Oh, and whatever points I have left go into cheap leather, more seeds, or more turtles.

Because it's hard to be any more dwarfish (Dwarfey? Dwarven?) than burning the wagon that brings you to your new home and beating raw metal into tools with your bare hands!

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11:06 pm »

Miner 5 / Grower 5
Miner 5 / Grower 5
Mason 5 / Building design 5
Woodcutter 5 / carpenter 5
Brewer 5 / *Another farmer skill*(Usually cook) 5
Mechanic 5 / Judge of intent 1 / Appraiser 1 / Record keeper 1 / Organizer 1 / 1 Intimidator
5 Stone crafting / *Another craft skill*(Bone cutter, glass maker, etc.) 5

No anvil, 2 picks, 1 axe, lots of booze and food. Sometimes wood.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2009, 11:04:40 pm »

Stuff

I fear it is more like fail in the example given. Why?

Although if there were trees, your version would work nicely. :)

Well I'd assumed he would be picking a more suitable location. If he was following my example exactly (in which my friend picted the hardest possible biome he could fine, a terrifying glacier with skeletal creatures all over the place) then yes, trees would be an issue. My friend made a mistake however, and gave me an area with a single tile of underground river. He doesn't have those enabled on his site finder you see... so I had a nice deep mushroom lumber farm.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2009, 11:25:52 pm »

miner-maxed
miner-maxed
mason
mason
mason
carpenter