Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Iron ores and volcanism (world gen/need a map)  (Read 3245 times)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron ores and volcanism (world gen/need a map)
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 04:40:38 pm »

Maybe I've just been getting lucky then :-\
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 07:54:27 pm »

Then one in six maps (give or take if 6 isn't the average number of rejects,) has 50+ volcanoes anyway.
What size worlds do you gen?
I gen huge worlds, personally.  Regardless, the way I'm reading the wiki and this thread one of three things is true:
a) A hundred percent volcanism value doesn't necessarily mean there will be a vent or volcano there, only that it is possible or most likely,
b) A volcano can be placed on areas without 100 volcanism (I am sure it requires high volcanism from the world painter and playing with variance values, but it may not be 100),
or c) All the "Minimum Volcano Number" setting does is change anonymous and possibly hidden magma vents into named and highly visible volcanoes. 

I'd always assumed it was a, but I'm wondering lately if it might be c.  After all, that's pretty much all the "Minimum Mountain Peak Number" value does for elevation.  Could be both a and c, I guess.

I just tried this for kicks and dear lord is it taking a long time to gen.
Try upping the 80-100 volcanism mesh value, I'm pretty sure it will help.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 02:31:53 am »

Then one in six maps (give or take if 6 isn't the average number of rejects,) has 50+ volcanoes anyway.
What size worlds do you gen?
I gen huge worlds, personally.  Regardless, the way I'm reading the wiki and this thread one of three things is true:
a) A hundred percent volcanism value doesn't necessarily mean there will be a vent or volcano there, only that it is possible or most likely,
b) A volcano can be placed on areas without 100 volcanism (I am sure it requires high volcanism from the world painter and playing with variance values, but it may not be 100),
or c) All the "Minimum Volcano Number" setting does is change anonymous and possibly hidden magma vents into named and highly visible volcanoes. 

I'd always assumed it was a, but I'm wondering lately if it might be c.  After all, that's pretty much all the "Minimum Mountain Peak Number" value does for elevation.  Could be both a and c, I guess.

I just tried this for kicks and dear lord is it taking a long time to gen.
Try upping the 80-100 volcanism mesh value, I'm pretty sure it will help.
Ya, that will help at least a bit but Legacy was saying he used min volcanoes so he didn't have to touch the other stuff.

We could test if it was C by making a 100 volc world and basically just basically estimating the average number of volcanoes per x squares then setting the min volc parameter to, say, double that and seeing if we get any rejects. We'll know that there are enough vents for it to bring to the surface so there shouldn't be any rejects ever.
(Setting it to the total number of region tiles could confirm it faster but that might not work if there are limits to how many it can change.)
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 02:10:04 pm »

i don't mean there were a lot of rejects. There were only 9 or so rejects and then it just chugged along slowly for the rest of the gen.

Legends took a good 10-15 minutes. Went to year 300 and the only civ left were dwarves and there was 7 of them. I found that odd since I added Orcs and they're tough bastards.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 06:02:30 pm »

i don't mean there were a lot of rejects. There were only 9 or so rejects and then it just chugged along slowly for the rest of the gen.

Legends took a good 10-15 minutes. Went to year 300 and the only civ left were dwarves and there was 7 of them. I found that odd since I added Orcs and they're tough bastards.
Only changing the min volcanoes will only alter how many rejects you get. The slowness must have come from elsewhere.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 08:56:09 pm »

Try these worldgen parameters. They tend to do a fairly good job of making small mountains and highly variable stone layers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That generated a truly awesome world, thanks!  I'll mess around a bit with finding the perfect site with an interesting amount of monsters as resources are well covered.
Pages: 1 2 [3]