Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Iron ores and volcanism (world gen/need a map)  (Read 3243 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iron ores and volcanism (world gen/need a map)
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:48:22 am »

I'm having an incredibly hard time generating a map that has a tile with both magma and iron ores, let alone both with HFS.  Other than that I only care if the tile is survivable (some water, some trees).  Undead and such might be an entertaining diversion  :)

Does anyone have a mod to increase the chances of iron with a magma pipe or pool?  I'm not too crazy about the Dwarf Heaven map, and the other super-resource map doesn't work right for me (I assume I have the wrong engine version for it to gen right).

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron ores and volcanism (world gen/need a map)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 12:51:53 pm »

If you don't care about realism (and you shouldn't, seeing how you're already willing to generate something using otherwordly parameters), you could go into your raws and look for a file that says stone_mineral or something like that (no DF on this 'puter, so I'm not gonna make sure what the exact name was, but that's easy to figure out yourself) and modify where and in what amounts your iron ores are going to be found.

For example, magnetite is something has parameters like sedimentary cluster, cluster meaning large cluster of several hundred stones. Change sedimentary to all stone or all_stone, or whatever that was, and you should have iron up the arse. Or if you don't want to go over the top, give one of the iron ores parameters like all_stone veins.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:31:25 pm »

Try these worldgen parameters. They tend to do a fairly good job of making small mountains and highly variable stone layers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:40 pm »

My 40d11 genned version of dwarf heaven may be what you are looking for.

It  has magma and hematite, (along with gcs, chasms, hfs etc) an added bonus is that i was able to trade for bauxite with the caravans.

Oh it has lots of trees, soil, obsidian and a brook as well.
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »

I'll let you know how it goes, just got back from vacation and I need to unpack.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:20:01 pm »

If it's not too late to give suggestions, you can check out Dathaecomo.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:07:09 pm »

Just look for volcano. Iron is not hard to get after you embark.

Build up your defense against sieges and you can get more than enough iron than you needed.

To me it is harder to melt them into pig iron -> steel, if I do not want to piss off the elves.

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 03:32:19 am »

ironically, i just found a map that has a magma pipe, underground river, and a brook....   and when i found the magma pipe, i found that it bores down through FOUR magnetite pockets!   so much lost magnetite to the pipe...    but at the same time, im doing a challange fortress...   one male, one female, on a map where the home civ is 100% dead..   no caravans, no immigrants, only babies...    lots and lots of babies

Aquilegia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 07:07:02 am »

'but at the same time, im doing a challange fortress...   one male, one female, on a map where the home civ is 100% dead..   no caravans, no immigrants, only babies...    lots and lots of babies'

Don't you get a little 'adam and eve'-like problem then after 1 generation (where do the future husbands come from)? :O

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 07:54:05 am »

'but at the same time, im doing a challange fortress...   one male, one female, on a map where the home civ is 100% dead..   no caravans, no immigrants, only babies...    lots and lots of babies'

Don't you get a little 'adam and eve'-like problem then after 1 generation (where do the future husbands come from)? :O

Problem?  ;D

What should happen? Insanity due to incest? You know dwarfs are pretty insane anyway.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron ores and volcanism (world gen/need a map)to other
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 05:07:28 pm »

For some reason or other I decided not to put metal ores in high volcanism rock but found a way to get region tiles to have a decent mix between types.

If you go into the world gen parameters and go into the painter you can do a checkerboard of high and low volcanism. A lone high value region surrounded by lower value stuff will just make a circle in the region have the high value while low stuff comes in from the edges. If you did rows and columns you'd only have low value stuff at the corners or maybe not at all but diagonals don't connect so it's like having a round mountain jut up out of the plains every other tile except with volcanism.

You'll have magma on 50% of the region tiles and every region tile will have some sedimentary layers on it.

*volcanism conforms to other biome boundaries such as a forest or ocean so you won't exactly see a circle of high volcanism on every other tile but it shoudl still average out to having sedimentary stuff on the sides and volcanoes in the middle area.

This doesn't automatically give you good sites everywhere but it should make them much more common.
And for HFS you just need to trace a ring around the edge of mountain ranges so you might be able to do that faster than the finder would.
With really high variance and the right elevation range you might be able to get a ton of small mountains but on medium maps I still only get a few mountain ranges.

If you had the patience you could also do this with mountains so that every mountain automatically had HFS and Magma with a really high probability of iron ores right off the base of the mountain but it might make dwarves a little weird in world gen so you might want to give them some additional mountains to connect some tiles. Well, now that I've thought of that I'm gonna have to try it myself.

*to avoid carpel tunnel you should just checkerboard the top two rows and save the world gen parameters then go into the .txt and copy and paste the lines.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 05:37:56 pm »

ironically, i just found a map that has a magma pipe, underground river, and a brook....   and when i found the magma pipe, i found that it bores down through FOUR magnetite pockets!   so much lost magnetite to the pipe...    but at the same time, im doing a challange fortress...   one male, one female, on a map where the home civ is 100% dead..   no caravans, no immigrants, only babies...    lots and lots of babies

Bet you they form a grudge.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

ktstyle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 06:18:34 pm »

one male, one female, on a map where the home civ is 100% dead..   no caravans, no immigrants, only babies...    lots and lots of babies

How did you do that? I don't know how to kill a dwarf, let alone a whole civ.

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 06:32:47 pm »

in the entity file, set the civ to max population of 1.    they die almost immeadiately

and no grudge yet.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 06:48:09 pm »

To deal with individual dwarves, you can use an external utility to either change the number of dwarves at embark or just give the ones you don't want full-body red wounds, or you can wall in the superfluous ones and let them starve.  Dropping them off a huge cliff is also possible, but more work-intensive than the Cask of Amontillado.

For the civ, you basically need to get lucky with worldgen wars and have "Require Playable Civilization: No" in your parameters.  There's a few threads around here with dwarfless worldgens.

Postninja fake edit: Max pop 1?  Oooh, may have to try that.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: [1] 2 3