Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209672 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1035 on: June 06, 2009, 01:18:37 pm »

Mine is Tinyville, in the Middle of Nowhere. I'm about to get some cooking going on. It's fun so far. I believe the usual term for such endeavors is "Hermit challenge".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 06, 2009, 01:20:39 pm »

My village has it's own personal mine about 7 steps from the forges.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 06, 2009, 01:22:38 pm »

Pfft, mine is nicer.   Though it doesn't have any farming, considering that I'm full industry.  And soon, I'm going to be churning out metal.

And so does mine!  ...said metalmaking implements are on my territory, though.

And also, I don't rely on sissy archery!  Foxes come to me to die, too.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:25:24 pm by Malicus »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 06, 2009, 01:26:41 pm »

I've got a rather large field, and I hand out free backpacks at the gate! We've also got a small-ish candlemaking facility, along with a vineyard and winepress!

Edit: But right now I have everything claimed. If I get some settler friend, I'll unclaim the metalworks, but the field, cabin, and tanning facilities that exist currently will continue to be mine.

Also, I have tea-making facilities which means stamina for the miners!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:32:13 pm by sonerohi »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 06, 2009, 01:28:55 pm »

I repeat, full industry.  While this means I don't have farming stuff set up yet, I will be CHURNING OUT metal once I get around to it.  And I have an excess of leather still sitting in the tubs.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 06, 2009, 01:32:53 pm »

I'm churning out metal even with my other tasks.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 06, 2009, 01:40:42 pm »

You don't exactly need farming as long as you own an Apple Tree, and are churning out sausages from hunting.

Indeed, full industry would be a wise idea to whoevers handling the smelting, forging, and other such metal crafting.

While those who have FULL NATURE are just important, if not more than the miners and smiths, as they provide our food. You can't run an efficient community without a balance between Pro Nature and Pro Industry.

It just can't be done. Those with Industry are in number, and thus require a large amount of tea and food to fuel their mining expeditions.

Those who handle the farming are allowed to take private projects because the miners and smiths are providing THE HUNTERS with equipment to keep the farming members of our community safe from foxes and boars and bears. Its a process to repeat it self, and as more and more people learn how to defend themselves, the less they will have to drag hunters half way across the map.

This in turn starts three things full drive.

1. The hunters who are no longer required FOR EVERY SINGLE FOX ENCOUNTERED will have time to build their own homesteads.

2. The farming members who know how to defend themselves once again have even less attachment to the circle, but now they don't have themselves geared to industry, which they need to metal working. This is why they still stay with the Pro Industrious people. Because the Pro Industrious people no longer *need* to forward every bit of processed metal in need of the hunters or mining equipment. Now they have their own private supply as they mine out their own ore. This allows them to provide the now not so defenseless farmers with needed equipment, while they provide them with the fuel needed.

This cycle continues as far as possible, until both remaining parties have gotten as much as possible out of it.

Soon the majority will see they have ALL the equipment they need to strike it out on their own, only coming back to the previous community to keep the fire going, and perhaps lending a bit of time to harvest or smelt some stuff for the people still living there.

So as soon as this process is done, in the end you notice that the larger community has grown into several communities all linked together over a larger area.

This doesn't really mean that Bottleneck will suffer neglect, despite the drop out of people LIVING inside it.

Most Bay 12ers see Bottleneck as the main settlement where most shit gets done. They won't abandon the outpost. Not now or later. At least I don't intend to. 

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 06, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »

Ah, but in the problem is the solution. Equipment breaks and one needs mines for ore and metals, so the sub-communities are still going to be right in town. The town won't ever dissolve, it'll merely progress socially, with an industrial central district, and outlying farms and farmhouses.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:57:26 pm by sonerohi »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 06, 2009, 01:59:50 pm »

I did say at the end of that long post that Bottleneck wouldn't be neglected in that sense at anyrate, sub-communities or not.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 06, 2009, 02:10:30 pm »

Also, to Malicus - I'm churning out wrought iron already  ;). I'm gonna win this whether you want to admit it or not.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 06, 2009, 02:20:55 pm »

Speaking of wrought iron, anybody know of an existing mine three or four rings east of Brodgar? I don't really want my own mine yet, I'd rather wait for when we're able to make them ourselves (though that might include a map wipe, for all we know).

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 06, 2009, 02:21:27 pm »

Is it normal for the game to be completely void of peope?Cause I've seen like 5 people all day  :-\

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 06, 2009, 02:22:27 pm »

Speaking of wrought iron, anybody know of an existing mine three or four rings east of Brodgar? I don't really want my own mine yet, I'd rather wait for when we're able to make them ourselves (though that might include a map wipe, for all we know).

I have a mine in ring three, except I'm southeast of Brodgar. Come join in, it's funner as a group.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 06, 2009, 02:24:14 pm »

Also, to Malicus - I'm churning out wrought iron already  ;). I'm gonna win this whether you want to admit it or not.

Pfft.  The only reason I'm not already doing that is because 1) I needed sleep, and 2) there is stuff I usually do today other than MMOs.  I -do- already have a wrought iron in a crucible, over halfway done.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 06, 2009, 02:26:28 pm »

I'm not going to abandon Tinyville just yet. Or not at all. The foxes here aren't too vicious, I've even killed one thanks to 4 points in archery and a conveniently located cliff. Finding cows is a hell of a task though, I had to trek all the way to Brodgar with a bucket. Next time I'll take four. But at least I found a fox hide and a few cow ones.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 171