Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209667 times)

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1005 on: June 06, 2009, 07:25:37 am »

So,I came here and saw the trailer,the screenshots,and I'm positively intrigued about this game!
However,since I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread(70 pages?holy crap),I would just like to know where a newbie like me is to go if I were to start.What village is willing to take a vagabond into its arms? ;D

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 06, 2009, 07:43:06 am »

The main Bay12 colony (also called bottleneck) is a very nice place that could use more military, and generally more inhabitants, but the trip there and living there is rough due to uberfoxes. On the other hand, there are crack hunters at the village keeping it safe (usually), and you won't have to worry about the basic necessities, and you won't meet the problems of overpopulation, annoying neighbors, thieves (mostly) and stuff. Once you are there, it is easier than living near the start. You might want to grind a bit before going down. You may want to consult the map at the first post. Bottleneck's marked with a red circle. If this is a little hardcore for you, go at the place marked with the blue circle. The yellow circle is a stepover house and should contain food and dreams.

If you decide to make the trip down to us, remember following:

1. Always be at the third speed, running. Sprint when it's necessary. If there are foxes after you, don't attempt to fight them, run, and try to have a solid object (cliff, rock, tree, river) between them and you, it messes up their pathfinding.

2. Set up your hearth fire as soon as you arrive.

3. There's a communal stockpile. Take what you need.

4. Ask the others, they will give you advice.

5. Do not cut down trees inside the village. In fact, you might want to not build any cabin at all, as they are bloody expensive.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 06, 2009, 08:37:05 am »

If you feel like grinding a bit before heading off to Bottleneck, feel free to stop in at Clayshire :) We're always taking new immigrants, we love newbies. To find it, look at the map and see the red circle. To the east of it is a brown splotch that looks like tweesers/a wishbone. We're on the west side of that splotch. I'll teach you the ropes. That is, if you choose to stay. Going to Bottleneck would be just as good

Daki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 06, 2009, 08:39:21 am »

Hmmm...just started off,and still trying to find my way :D
The lack of a clear tutorial is a bit annoying,but it seems like fun...if only I could learn how to do stuff! :P
I read the how-to and unofficial manual,and still haven't found out how to attack,fish,where to learn skills etc.
Also,the world seems....deserted.I mean seriously.I walked for like 20 minutes and ran into only 1 guy.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 06, 2009, 08:48:35 am »

http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/howto may help you out with some of your questions.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 06, 2009, 08:57:33 am »

Put in my official mine request. Move to here Malicus, nao.

Got me ma mine!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:09:32 am by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 06, 2009, 09:54:36 am »

Work, work, work.

There's ALWAYS something for you to be doing down at Bottleneck. If your a farmer, you should be harvesting and making bread. If your a miner/smith, you should be getting CRAP TONS of ore ready and smelting shit up.

Oh, and on the topic of a safe place for the Crucibles.

We can no longer forge out in the open. And we also can't just leave them on claimed land. What if that person logged out for 12 hours?

What we need to do is take Duke's idea a step farther.

We need to extend the mining range, at least in two directions, and cut down some space for confusion factor. Certainly with uneven levels and no more piles of wood being left next to walls. If your a miner, you should have a mining helmet or torch.

Then we need to set up the maze point. This is the general idea I had for the maze, with it being to detailed for unwanted eyes.

We make the maze with three passage ways to start. Only one of these ways is correct in the first place.

Each passage way has three more passage ways. Again, only in the first correct one has any correct secondary passageway, and only one of the second three in the correct one will lead you to the final set.

Each of the last nine lead you to two different smaller passage ways. One of the two in the correct one in the third tier lead you to the crucible areas. Miners will of course have to memorize this route.

If you choose the long route, it will either simply lead you right out of the maze, or you will get lost for a very long time.

The idea can be expanded on however.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 06, 2009, 09:59:50 am »

In that case, will there be candleholders in the crucible area? I'd like to see it. We also would need to relocate mining operations somewhere else, nowhere near our maze.

Try to make it extra confusing? Some hallways should lead to others. This would increase security considerably.

Should there be food baskets in the maze? Or just at entrance/exit?

We would need to MS Paint a plan.

Another idea: Excavate two crucible areas. That way, we will be more safe.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:16:30 am by Errol »

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 06, 2009, 10:06:51 am »

To be honest, I really don't like the maze idea. We need to refuel the crucibles every couple hours, and navigating the maze could start getting really tiresome the tenth time around.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 06, 2009, 10:07:35 am »

Only at the exit, leading into the crucible area.

And there should be some backup tea waiting there to, besides what's already over at the mining area.

And Vucar, not only is this the only realistic way to keep the crucibles safe and alight, but YOU ONLY NEED TO REFUEL IT every five or so hours.

A full load for a crucible is 12 hours.

I'm sure the maze trip would be fine if you only had to make it every half dozen hours, which is a quarter of the day mind you. Its not like you have to go there all the time.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:09:16 am by WorkerDrone »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 06, 2009, 10:14:25 am »

I might go on, maybe, just maybe.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 06, 2009, 10:15:19 am »

Only at the exit, leading into the crucible area.

And there should be some backup tea waiting there to, besides what's already over at the mining area.

And Vucar, not only is this the only realistic way to keep the crucibles safe and alight, but YOU ONLY NEED TO REFUEL IT every five or so hours.

A full load for a crucible is 12 hours.

I'm sure the maze trip would be fine if you only had to make it every half dozen hours, which is a quarter of the day mind you. Its not like you have to go there all the time.

Maybe, but you would have to make four or five loads of branches if you waited that long. The reason it is better to do it every hour is that it only takes one load.

And how are we going to distribute the map of the maze? How many people are going to know the secret?

What happens when a griefer penetrates the maze? He will be able to sabotage with impunity, and no one will see him.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 06, 2009, 10:31:40 am »

How else are we gonna pull protecting the crucibles off? Distribution? Some in the mine, some on a claimed plot, some out in the open, some in a house, some in the wilderness...

Can you plant trees in the mine? Did anyone test?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 06, 2009, 10:46:06 am »

Oh no, don't tell me when it's night time in Haven and Hearth it becomes pitchblack.  I'm scared.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 06, 2009, 10:47:31 am »

I had an idea as to how to keep them safe.

The red circles are the crucibles, black lines are drying racks, coloured rectangles are claimed zones (each claimed by a different trusted hearthling).

You could make it smaller or larger or arrange it differently, I'd suggest making the claim areas long and thin to boost their deadly quality.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 171