Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422976 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19020 on: October 23, 2014, 06:06:51 pm »

I've made a fair few pretty castles in my time. Making it look run-down, though... I'm not sure I could get the aesthetic right.
Nothing important here, move along.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19021 on: October 23, 2014, 07:28:05 pm »

If you find the latter, PM me please. I've been looking for stuff like that for a while.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/necropolis-2539547/ not really broken down, but the right aesthetic to modify definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5cuhmzSpg a timelapse my server did once for halloween with some attempts at run down stuff. Maybe works or not, I don't know. There's a mapfile and texture download in the description.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19022 on: October 23, 2014, 11:27:15 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19023 on: October 24, 2014, 12:53:09 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not really looking for haunted type of stuff. More run-down, decayed, and reclaimed by nature. Something like that Hunger Games map (but more medieval, not modern) or like they did with the "JaffaQuest" thing on the Yogscast (skip to about 7:40 to see what I mean, then skip to about 16:20 when they start yelling, if you don't like the Yogscast just turn the volume down, this is the best example I've seen).

EDIT: You're on the VoxelBox team? That's... amazing!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19024 on: October 24, 2014, 01:22:54 am »

I like the look of the graveyard, I'm not familiar with the texture pack though, what are the paths made from?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19025 on: October 24, 2014, 03:50:28 pm »

my server
The VoxelBox
!?

Yeah I was/am an admin there. Did a lot of the coding for VoxelSniper and I did the voxelgadget, and some other stuff. Also been known to build a thing or two. Some personal projects:

http://i.imgur.com/ofSQH.jpg Frigate
http://i.imgur.com/TPvKSVc.png Spanish mission (and jungle terraforming)
http://i.imgur.com/aRJWjit.png Weird mushroom city -- we had this giant waterfall on our map down to a different continent, so this was a city with a giant lock (like for ships) to helpt them traverse the waterfall to trade between the two regions. Actual lock visible in this image: http://i.imgur.com/zEZliWH.png
http://i.imgur.com/TAs9KBb.jpg Desert islandy fortress place that was going to be the capital of my continent, but didn't finish it
http://i.imgur.com/aWLDbMO.jpg Other desert landscape with voxelsniper
http://i.imgur.com/LX6q0MX.png Other desert/savanna landscape again with some of the "royal highway" on it (stretched several kilometers)
http://i.imgur.com/0F19btN.jpg a working neural synapse out of redstone, lol. It achieves different weighted random outputs  based on whether items bounce from lava onto pressure plates before burning up or not (thus auto-resets), and pistons push a loop of glass around to limit the number of lava jumps that occur, thus changing the likelihood of outcome (like a synapse weight). All the circuitry in the back is for feedback so that it can interpret correct answers from further down the "brain" and either reinforce or inhibit its likelihoods of responding.

I'm surprised people have really heard of that so much. It's been a bit defunct for quite awhile (They say they're restructuring...)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:52:01 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19026 on: November 01, 2014, 04:31:04 pm »

So the new DW20 pack is out on the FTB launcher, and it has frames! There are frames again! Funky Locomotion frames, to be exact. So I went and built some frame machines:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19027 on: November 01, 2014, 04:34:44 pm »

Is it easier or harder to make mining machines than with RP2?
I recall that RP2 miners had to oscillate to mine properly (which made Alway's machines something of a pain to use because he somehow never automated that. (they were still brutally efficient, though. Could clear out two entire chunks worth of stuff at a time)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:37:29 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19028 on: November 01, 2014, 04:55:03 pm »

Remember when RP2 introduced frames with tubes inside? Especially redstone tubes? Yeah, later on in RP2 you could make a straight-line tunnel bore. You can't place tubes in these new frames, so it's exactly as hard as before redstone tube frames were introduced. Actually, it's a bit harder now, since computers aren't movable and we don't have those awesome 65EL02 computers anymore. Tunnel bores shouldn't need a computer though, they just need a single clock oscillating the borehead and another one moving the bore ahead whenever possible.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19029 on: November 01, 2014, 05:38:02 pm »

VoxelBox was a pretty big thing for a while, when I tried to get on the server during guest weekends I just couldn't because it was full. I tried the VoxelSniper on a private server with some friends and it was pretty cool.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19030 on: November 01, 2014, 06:59:00 pm »

Okay, I made a really small and efficient tunnel bore. It uses nothing but Funky Locomotion, Extra Utilities, and Thermal Expansion (any modpack with FL will have the other two mods too). It's 6x5x4 blocks large, digging a 6x5 tunnel, and connected to your system by a single tesseract.

Before you try building it, note that you'll need at least 58 ender pearls to craft the bore alone, not counting the 5 ender pearls for the QED to make the energy transfer nodes, nor the 8 ender pearls for the receiving tesseract. Yeah, frame motors are pretty expensive. Oh, and did I mention that the frames are made of invar?

Front view:

Rear views:
That red wool block should be replaced by another redstone clock.

Note that the transfer nodes on the outside rows will need a few speed upgrades each so the outside block breakers are never stuffed (which could cause the bore to get stuck). Also when expanding this design you should really avoid making large networks of transfer pipes, because that will mean your transfer nodes will take longer to search them all for the tesseract. Alternatively you could also replace the redstone clock on the left with a ProjectRed timer set to a slower frequency.

And here's how to chunkload it:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:02:38 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19031 on: November 01, 2014, 09:20:48 pm »

With the 100 or so pearls going into this thing, shouldn't you first set up an enderman farm, thus rendering the quantity of pearls required mostly irrelevant?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19032 on: November 10, 2014, 03:08:12 pm »

More teeny tiny frame quarry designs incoming! Did you know that you can make microblocks out of frame blocks? Because you totally can, and they totally work, and it is totally awesome.

Spoiler: 2x2x5 (click to show/hide)

When you build this in action, make sure to unstick the top faces (as a precaution against gravel), then the quarry will never ever get stuck at all. Ever.
Note that the bottom design uses only 34 ender pearls compared to those 100 from my other post. Also note that the two chunkloaders are directly on top of each other, so there won't be any unnecessary chunk unloading and reloading.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19033 on: November 12, 2014, 02:31:11 am »

It's come to my attention that I am clearly using incorrect minecraft terminology, resulting in consistent, massive communication failure between myself and other miencraft players.

Would somebody explain to me the proper minecraft terminology to communicate the following concept, in the context of a multi-player server:

* The plain, unmodifed game
 * No mods
 * No crazy, unique custom rulesets enforced by command blocks that change how the game plays
 * No custom world borders
 * Nobody using creative mode, the console, or MCedit to change things before, during, or after gameplay
 * The game like you would play it, "out of the box" without anything weird or strange going on
 * Create the world, then play...without any intermediate changing of the world between creating it and playing it
 * No, really.
 * No, really really.

I feel like "vanilla survival" should be sufficient to convey this concept. But it seems to be the norm that "vanilla survival" to the majority of the minecraft community means some variation of "oh, there are only half a dozen mods installed, but don't worry it's only an 80 meg download and you already have forge installed, right? Because you'll need that. Also, by the way, the server makes use of the new customizable world borders, and we have it set to this crazy, arbitrarily small area to force people to build near each other and it's set on a timer to slowly expand over some amount of time, except when us admins decide to arbitrarily change it because we feel like it. But you'll hardly notice because of how often we use MCedit to import stuff into the world to keep things interesting. And oh, by the way...we have this custom command block thing set up that took us weeks to build, and the entire server is set up for a 3 times a week custom game with teams and permadeath. You did say you wanted vanilla, right? 'Cuz we're totally vanilla. Absolutely plain, boring vanilla. And oh, by the way, our server is hacked and you'll need to torrent our version of the client, here's the link. Totally vanilla."

So since clearly I am in the minority here...would somebody explain to me how to communicate this very simple idea of "don't change anything" when I'm talking to fellow minecraft players?

Thanks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19034 on: November 12, 2014, 03:27:59 am »

"Unmodded vanilla survival - no bullshit - no borders - no mods"
Pages: 1 ... 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 ... 1380