Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1258 1259 [1260] 1261 1262 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422832 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18885 on: September 27, 2014, 12:23:14 pm »

Well, tense. Because starvation is a very real threat, and dirt is at a premium until you can get shears/a decent tree farm going. Which itself requires more dirt. So the until you get yourself set up comfortably, you're usually not all that far from starvation. Let's just say I'd never thought I'd actually ever wind up staring at a sapling intently as I have since I started the modpack.
Spoiler: Hint (click to show/hide)
The two starting maps I DLed only had a small amount of dirt each. And genning a new world just leads to falling into a void.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:18:02 pm by Vorthon »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18886 on: September 27, 2014, 01:03:29 pm »

Wait, which modpack are you guys discussing? Sounds worth trying.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18887 on: September 27, 2014, 01:09:19 pm »

Agrarian Skies, a skyblock modpack with a quest system integrated, run off the FTB launcher.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18888 on: September 27, 2014, 02:26:33 pm »

I never really liked the quest mod. I guess it's kinda fun sometimes, but eeeeehhh it feels really cheaty.

I am so inconsistent.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18889 on: September 27, 2014, 03:05:10 pm »

Hm.... Downloaded Agrarian Skies through the FTB launcher. Started the game, created a world, and... died instantly. Then died instantly again. Then my world was deleted.

Are you supposed to die instantly? I appeared to be falling through space when it happened. Just blackness all around. Do you have to use their custom map?

I have noticed that when playing certain modpacks, such as Big Dig, I'm always falling through the world when I start the game. I have to quickly switch to creative mode and fly up a couple of blocks, then I land where I should be on the ground and switch back. Although this time it happened so quickly, there's no way I could have switched in time... What happened?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18890 on: September 27, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »

Yes, indeed. The terrain generation is stripped out to create the void effect, and the custom maps give you your starting base to work from.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18891 on: September 28, 2014, 03:38:22 am »

Aha, I see. That wasn't very clear in the mod description. Map seems to work, but I didn't have any time to try it last night. It seems I need to read a library of in-game books before I begin. I'll try it today. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Jesus, this is confusing. I tried to do the QDS quest, and now I'm stuck. I set the quest in the book, right-clicked the block, put the hopper on top, and fed the plank into the hopper. The QDS block turned back to plain (lost the Toad image on it), and in the book, the plank icon is marked as 100%. But there is no way to get my reward. No way to reset the quest, nothing. I tried breaking all the blocks and replacing them, but no go. Do I need to re-download the map and start from scratch now? What the hell happened? What's supposed to happen when you finish a QDS quest? There appears to be nothing I can do now. Frustrating.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:30:25 am by Sappho »

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18892 on: September 28, 2014, 05:47:54 am »

Aha, I see. That wasn't very clear in the mod description. Map seems to work, but I didn't have any time to try it last night. It seems I need to read a library of in-game books before I begin. I'll try it today. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Jesus, this is confusing. I tried to do the QDS quest, and now I'm stuck. I set the quest in the book, right-clicked the block, put the hopper on top, and fed the plank into the hopper. The QDS block turned back to plain (lost the Toad image on it), and in the book, the plank icon is marked as 100%. But there is no way to get my reward. No way to reset the quest, nothing. I tried breaking all the blocks and replacing them, but no go. Do I need to re-download the map and start from scratch now? What the hell happened? What's supposed to happen when you finish a QDS quest? There appears to be nothing I can do now. Frustrating.

That quest has a second stage as I recall. You don't get to keep the hopper as you must use the quest book to manually submit it back. Several quests have multiple stages which don't appear until after you've cleared the previous one.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18893 on: September 28, 2014, 07:09:07 am »

Yup, finally figured it out. Again, not very clear on the instructions -- I had to go find a youtube video of someone else doing it to figure it out (and he couldn't figure it out for ages either). Still, now that I'm past that stage, this is fun! There were no mobs for ages and I started to assume there simply wouldn't be any, though, and then suddenly there were 2 creepers, a skeleton, and a zombie all eating me. When I died, they guarded my stuff. Frustrated and not wanting to lose my progress while I was still learning how to play, I just set it on peaceful until I get my bearings.

What determines whether mobs can spawn, anyway? They didn't spawn until I put some wooden planks down to make a floor in the big open hole so I didn't fall to my death and had more room for tree saplings. Is there a way I can calculate it so that they don't spawn when I'm not ready or where I don't want them?

I like all the mods. They work really well together. I like the quest system, too. I don't know how it would be possible to survive with mobs on, though, at least in the beginning. I did finally realize I could make wooden armor, but it will be a long while before I get enough dirt to make enough stone to make a furnace so I can make torches, though.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18894 on: September 28, 2014, 07:47:38 am »

Yup, finally figured it out. Again, not very clear on the instructions -- I had to go find a youtube video of someone else doing it to figure it out (and he couldn't figure it out for ages either). Still, now that I'm past that stage, this is fun! There were no mobs for ages and I started to assume there simply wouldn't be any, though, and then suddenly there were 2 creepers, a skeleton, and a zombie all eating me. When I died, they guarded my stuff. Frustrated and not wanting to lose my progress while I was still learning how to play, I just set it on peaceful until I get my bearings.

What determines whether mobs can spawn, anyway? They didn't spawn until I put some wooden planks down to make a floor in the big open hole so I didn't fall to my death and had more room for tree saplings. Is there a way I can calculate it so that they don't spawn when I'm not ready or where I don't want them?

I like all the mods. They work really well together. I like the quest system, too. I don't know how it would be possible to survive with mobs on, though, at least in the beginning. I did finally realize I could make wooden armor, but it will be a long while before I get enough dirt to make enough stone to make a furnace so I can make torches, though.

Mob spawning is pretty much the same as vanilla (light level 7 or lower, and out of a certain range - 24 blocks I think? - of a player, are the immediately relevant rules). Because of the spawn islands' size you're mostly safe from mobs at first, unless you're either too far from the corners or too far from the house (using the Home Sweet Home map, these have spawnable spaces where you can be far enough away that mobs can appear). Of course once you do get out of range those spaces are the only spawnable ones in the world, so things will spawn unless you block them with a transparent block (slabs) or light.

One of the mods adds an overlay if you press F7 (by default) to show spaces which can spawn at night with a yellow X, and spaces which can spawn at any time with a red X.

Spoiler: Quick tip (click to show/hide)

You will need to have mobs switched back on sometime though as farming mobs for resources is rather valuable, not to mention necessary for some quests. Bone meal can help speed through the painfully slow growth processes, rotten flesh can compost into dirt, and string is always useful (although you can get it via silkworms in this pack).

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18895 on: September 28, 2014, 09:13:21 am »

Thanks for all the tips. I'm making some progress now. Got a reward pack full of "glowstone bricks" which give off light, so I guess I can use those to keep mobs away, and just make a small area for them to spawn to farm the resources. I'd turn them on if it wasn't hardcore, but I'm so ridiculously horrible at combat in Minecraft that I'd just die really fast and lose everything. : /

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18896 on: September 28, 2014, 09:18:24 am »

Mob spawning is pretty much the same as vanilla (light level 7 or lower, and out of a certain range - 24 blocks I think? - of a player, are the immediately relevant rules). Because of the spawn islands' size you're mostly safe from mobs at first, unless you're either too far from the corners or too far from the house (using the Home Sweet Home map, these have spawnable spaces where you can be far enough away that mobs can appear). Of course once you do get out of range those spaces are the only spawnable ones in the world, so things will spawn unless you block them with a transparent block (slabs) or light.
This reminds me of the ocean world me and some other dudes made on one of Forsaken's old servers. There were two islands, and one was walled off and dark so mobs would only spawn there.
We built a massive tower and used our portal guns to kill mobs and farm stuff :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18897 on: September 28, 2014, 09:56:42 am »

Ugh, this sucks...
I found an good seed for the style of game I want to play. Added a few mods to the pack which don't change world gen, but when I regen the world the village buildings are not the same. I regenned after a break and the buildings changed again...
Whats going on???

Gen 1 : Brewers+TC Furnace.
Gen 2 : (Added Mod) : Farm+Farmhouse (Repeated.)
Gen 3 : Grapefield + Gravekeepers (Repeated. Spawn Moved)
Gen 4 : Brewers + Apothecary. (Repeated.)

What makes the Village buildings change???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #18898 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:18 am »

Got my wither skeleton farm set up, now have 10+ nether stars even after using them for various and sundry things. I dunno what to do with them all. I'm using the Yogscast Complete pack, which has essentially every mod on Earth (and one on the moon), and there's still hardly anything to do with nether stars.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18899 on: September 28, 2014, 11:10:21 am »

beacons

beacons out of the arse

make the sky look like england '41
Pages: 1 ... 1258 1259 [1260] 1261 1262 ... 1380